It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STRIX

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Hey folks,

I found this video to be really interesting, I tried embedding it but alas, no luck!

www.youtube.com...

and here's an alternative link:

www.liveleak.com...

In addition I was able to find:

Projectile guidance technology has already been used since 1994 in 120 mm mortars, with the IR homing Bofors/Saab Strix. This weapon can engage targets at a range of 7 km, operates in an autonomous heat-seeking mode which can intelligibly recognize targets and discriminate targets among decoys and burning targets. Strix has been in service with the Swedish Army since 1994 and also has been ordered by the Swiss Army. It is optimized as an anti-armor weapon, defeating targets with top-attac

Saab also has a really brief page dedicated to this round unfortunately there's no direct link. You'll have to navigate just a'tad, it's under "S":

www.saabgroup.com...

Here's a direct quote if you don't feel like navigating:

The superior accuracy of STRIX is attained by the IR-seeker and side thruster rockets being controlled by intelligent image processing and guidance computers. STRIX discriminates decoys and burning targets.

The STRIX projectile can be launched from any conventional smooth bore 120 mm mortar system and has a range in excess of 7 km.The advanced shaped charge is capable of penetrating explosive reactive armour, ERA. It is extremely accurate, permits easy training, easy handling and easy maintenance. It is a true fire-and-forget system and gives mortars a new dimension - pinpoint accuracy.

I've read a couple of comments within those links that state the U.S military doesn't use 120mm mortars. I'm not quite sure though, can anyone educated in this field tell me if that's true or not?

I'm surprised I haven't heard much more about this.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Donoso]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

I don't know about US mortars, but Swedes are using STRIX combined with this baby

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by northwolf

That beast looks like it came straight out of 2080. It's really interesting how most, if not all, vehicles & weapons are being designed to look as if they'd belong in this century.

Thanks for the link, thing is brilliant.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

We do use 120mm mortars. Try looking up M120. All military branches in the U.S. have been toying around with similar munitions for some time now. The nifty ones deploy as anti-personel mines if they don't hit vehicle targets. The navy has been working on a design for anti ship use.

Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by assassini

Thanks for clearing that up,

I was wondering why people were stating the U.S military wouldn't be using such an obvious choice for weaponry. It seems like they upgraded from 107 to 120 way back in 1991. Weird.

Do you know any of the specific "intelligent" rounds the U.S is developing? I'm really intrigued now. I don't really have a centralized source for weaponry information.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

A search for M395, ERGM, SADARM, or Copperhead should put you in the right direction. The SADARM's are the nifty ones.

There are some other tests going on with smaller calibers. The major issue being at what size does the projectile loose it's destructive force by making room for the "intellegence". No point in making a 40mm mortar round that can hit a car moving at 50mph, if the round just bounces off the hood when it hits.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by assassini]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by assassini

Thanks again,

You're right. There'd be absolutely no point of a mortar shaped BB pellet.

new topics

top topics

join