It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sharpest image ever taken of the spiral galaxy M81

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Files
Also I tried to have this as my desktop wallpaper, BAD IDEA!

Wallpaper graphics are almost always a bad idea anyway. That and the stupid bubbly Windows XP/Vista default themes or the lame Aero interface. HUGE waste of resources just for a little eye candy. Turn all that crap off. Including all visual effects under System Properties. You'd be amazed how much better even a multi-GHz system performs.

PS takes a good 60 seconds to load the full image for me. It's about 3 feet wide and I've been quoted $50 to print it. I'm still trying to find someone with the facilities to print something more like 10 feet wide.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
ahaha actually printing it..... nice, i'd like to see that!!!
$50 isn't too bad.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup

Originally posted by ben420
How anyone could think Earth is the only inhabitated planet is far beyond me.

Well, I looked pretty close at that picture, and I didn't see any E.T.s in it anywhere. Either you got better eyes than I do, or a more vivid imagination.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Nohup]

Wow, just.....wow. Why don't you just say what you're really thinking?

"Well I can't see life anywhere in the image. I mean, I'm looking at it from miles upon miles upon miles away and I can't see anyone waving at me. That means there can't be life there or anyone else out there. It's impossible. There just can't be. Nothing to see here. I've spoken and I know all, so move on."

Why do you even bother being a member here? You're one of the most closed minded people on here. You mostly post nothing but small bashes at people because they believe something you don't and you think you debunk everything you post about. It's pretty annoying.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

faint outlines of 2 arms, so possibly a forming galaxy? drawing radiation and matter in?

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Ben:
I KNOW exactly how you feel looking at this wonderful cosmic
miracle!
I have observed it many times during my astronomy years.
Star Seeds are drawn to such photos. You are one!
Clark

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Here's a smaller version, more suitable for using as a desktop picture if the other one makes your computer slow, and you don't know how to resize.

img222.imageshack.us...

[edit on 6-12-2007 by bobafett]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Wow I have read the entire thread and have only reached 6% of the download.

I was thinking of a song for you though...

"When you wish upon a star, dreams will take you very far, anything your heart desires will come to you..."

Here is my gift (anticipating) *a single star just for you*

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Looks photoshopped to me.

I don't think it's a real "photograph" or "picture"....

[edit on 6-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
well i haven't read all the posts but please can someone tell me what those two really bright things at the top right are?? are those normal stars?? or maybe red giants that by X means are really that bright?? or just other galaxies that have a really concentrated core witch makes it that bright??

i don't know much about space. those two are extremly beautifull and i am really curios !

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglatin
well i haven't read all the posts but please can someone tell me what those two really bright things at the top right are?? are those normal stars?? or maybe red giants that by X means are really that bright?? or just other galaxies that have a really concentrated core witch makes it that bright??

i don't know much about space. those two are extremly beautifull and i am really curios !

I think they are different galaxies; If they are normal stars then imagine the size of those monsters

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Firstly, thanks OP, beeeaaaaautiful pic
. Looking at this pic just shows us how extraordinarily little we know of the universe.

nohup: I think you're taking needing proof for things to the over-the-top extreme. I take it you're an evolutionist?
. You are human, right? Have you had x-rays of your entire body taken to prove to you that you're human? I would guess not. Why? You know you're human so you KNOW you have a brain, stomache, spleen, etc. No proof required. By that reasoning I would say that with the billions of billions of stars in the universe there MUST be life on at least a few planets other than Earth, no matter how the universe came about. I think there's a name for that sort of reasoning. Maybe a more educated ATSer (pronounced at-sir, just made it up
) can tell us what that word is, if it exists.

I loved astronomy as a kid, but I've been out of the loop for a few decades so I have a few questions and observations:

1. Those bright star-like objects. Isn't it possible that they are much closer than the galaxy, which makes them appear large?

2. I have a question similar to what has been raised before. If we can have such an exceptionally clear pic of something that's millions of lightyears away from our galaxy, why can't hubble get close-ups of the hundreds (not sure of the current count) of exo-solar (wrong word maybe) planets we know exist?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lannock
--
nohup: I think you're taking needing proof for things to the over-the-top extreme. I take it you're an evolutionist?
. You are human, right? Have you had x-rays of your entire body taken to prove to you that you're human? I would guess not. Why? You know you're human so you KNOW you have a brain, stomache, spleen, etc. No proof required. By that reasoning I would say that with the billions of billions of stars in the universe there MUST be life on at least a few planets other than Earth, no matter how the universe came about. I think there's a name for that sort of reasoning.

Well THERE IS life on other planets and it HAS been found.
But the thing is people see life as ( a person like being, or something big that walk blablabla Alien like ) well that is not true at all. Extraterestrial lifeforms may be bacteria or really small beings that might be the size of an ant or smaller AND THAT IS A LIFEFORM !!!!!!
I read some time back that Nasa had found bacteria coming from the outerspace in an meteorite. If you have a bacteria than that means there are lifeforms plus it Gives also the possibility of a larger being(most certainly) and with Trillions of planets out there, there are certainly a lot of planets with lifeforms of any kind. Cuz if a planet has water, and atmosphere, and some limited values of resources ( very important, there might be other ways that a being might evolve than just what we know) than there is possibly life there.

[edit on 7-12-2007 by kinglatin]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
That's an absolutely stunning photo. I'd love to see a real picture of our galaxy but that's impossible. Never say never though, as the saying goes. Maybe one day I'll see it from the outside.... somehow.

I've just been to the hubble site. There are some amazing nebulae pics as well. Hope this one opens ok.

[edit on 7-12-2007 by wigit]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I work in a sign shop. I downloaded the image and about crapped myself!!! I couldn't resist, so I took it into work and had to show my boss, who is currently printing it out.

This image, as is, prints at 300 DPI as approx. 74" x 50". When opened in PS, it is set as 600DPI. Freakin amazing!!! our Eco-Solve printer can print up to about 52" on the vinyl.

SUPER EXCELLENT FIND!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

That image you had in your post reminded me of a Star Trek sequence called ""The Eye of God" or something along those lines.

There is such beauty in these pictures. A wonderful and inspiring and uplifting thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
How long would it take a starship to get there if it was going at the speed of light?

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
hmmmm

Look at this...found in the lower right hand corner

here (just enlarged - no edit):

I was looking at your image and thought it looked more like the birth of a star and new solar system to me. see here at part 2.

www.enchantedlearning.com...

[edit on 9-12-2007 by CaptGizmo]

apc

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

That would depend on who's watch you're looking at. But lets just go with 11.6 million years.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
great im dling the big un now

cant wait till i get to open it

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

2. I have a question similar to what has been raised before. If we can have such an exceptionally clear pic of something that's millions of lightyears away from our galaxy, why can't hubble get close-ups of the hundreds (not sure of the current count) of exo-solar (wrong word maybe) planets we know exist?

becuase the light from the star completely drowns out any light from the exo-planet. ( by a factor of 1 billion for earth size planets)

We must use special instruments such as occulters ,coronographs or null-interferometers to overcome this problem. These are in development and should be launched in the next decade

[edit on 9-12-2007 by yeti101]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join