It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Aliens" from other Dimensions? Hollywood picture - THE MIST? Project Arrowhead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I have just seen this movie called THE MIST. It seems really good to me as I do enjoy Stephen King's films. However, the species of monsters they were fighting in the movie seemed to be of large insects and throughout the movie I just kept wondering where they came from.

Later in the movie they manage to catch 1 of the 3 armed forces military guys. He's the only left since the other two hung themselves after thinking being responsible for what happened. The guy ends up explaining that he heard people at the mountain near the small town say scientists in the facility discovered that there were in fact other dimensions and only wanted to build a "window" to see to the other side but somehow instead created a portal and these things came out. That is why I refer to them as aliens.

Some of them looked like our ordinary creatures like crabs. The only difference is they were like up to 50 feet tall in the film. Some looked like extinct dinosaurs such as the terradactyl. All because the government accidently opened a portal to this other dimension.

My question is such a thing could exist? I mean could the government actually be operating such a massive project like this in our world or is that just too far fetched? And if so, can they lose control that easily if something unexpected just crawled out?

IMDB link to film: imdb.com...

[edit on 2-12-2007 by porsche2006]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
In Conspiracy Theory lore both the Philadelphia Experiment and the Montauk Project are very similar to the Arrowhead Project in The Mist. There's even stories of things coming through. Not quite the Lovecraftian Horrors of The Mist, but enities composed of pure force or energy. I have my doubts about them, but modern science has shown there is a good possiblity that multiple universes exist parallel to our own. The guy who first proposed that idea, Hugh Everett, was rejected by the scientific community back in 1957 but he was invited by the Pentagon to work for them, so you never know. Maybe there is some truth to Project Rainbow.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Who knows.

I'll guess that it's not possible because it was written by a drunken writer of pulp horror fiction who has written some pretty silly stuff.

Also, a couple of months ago there was an interview on the news with a proponent of time-machines (he's working on building one). When asked why we aren't being inundated with visitors from the future, he answered that visitors from the future will only be able to visit the past after the system's been invented.

So, if time machines were invented in 2008, chrononauts would only be able to return as far back as 2008.

In some silly Titor-accepting way, I like the logic of his suggestion.

Can anyone really, seriously answer your question?

F
PS -- Was the third act of that film as naff as the reviewers say?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle

Who knows.

I'll guess that it's not possible because it was written by a drunken writer of pulp horror fiction who has written some pretty silly stuff.

Also, a couple of months ago there was an interview on the news with a proponent of time-machines (he's working on building one). When asked why we aren't being inundated with visitors from the future, he answered that visitors from the future will only be able to visit the past after the system's been invented.

So, if time machines were invented in 2008, chrononauts would only be able to return as far back as 2008.

In some silly Titor-accepting way, I like the logic of his suggestion.

Can anyone really, seriously answer your question?

F
PS -- Was the third act of that film as naff as the reviewers say?

The idea of Parallel Universes is far from some silly idea invented by Stephen King. The idea of Wormholes likewise is not some silly idea from King. I thought I gave a decent answer. Hugh Everett and his Many Worlds Theory is very real and the theory is a very serious field of research.

On a less serious note, the movie was one of the better Horror movies I have seen in years. It has one of the most Horrific endings of any movie. There is a lesson in the movie and I like that. Stories today almost never have a lesson in them, but this one had a good one. Its not simply a Horror movie for Horror's sake, its a statement about human nature, American society (especially in reference to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina), and a lesson to never give up.

To sum it up: Lord of the Flies in a Grocery Store meet the Horrors of HP Lovecraft, brought togther by Stephen King and Frank Darrabont.

[edit on 3/12/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
yep, hugh everett IIIs many worlds theory is pretty damn interesting. havent seen the movie yet, but its strange how most people are able to understand and relate to the paranormal and far-out only in terms of horror-movies.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Yeah, sorry. I don't really "dismiss" the idea of parallel universes.

I guess the cool part of the film's premise--the part of physically linking different universes--is what I'm skeptical about.

Sorry for being an asshole.
F

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
no offense taken.

It is still just a movie and fiction. I dont think they hired Michio Kaku for any scientific input, but would of been cool had they done that. At least a plausible explanation would of been nice.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but how big did this "portal" have to be to let out that behemoth creature shown towards the end, and why didnt the mist enter the store all those times that the door was open and also the window is busted by those bird things and no mist goes inside how come?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

great point! Summed up perfectly...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
It would have taken a mere flip of the coin of chance for evolution on our planet to have taken a massively different path. Imagine a world where insects and not mammals were the dominant creatures on Earth. Insects are limited in their size only because they evolved to be small because of decreasing oxygen levels but once, hundreds of millions of years ago they were huge.
Quantum theory tells us that there are 11 dimensions, 7 at right angles to the four we are aware of. Compared to the other 7 we are mere flatlanders. because of the other 7 dimensions it is possible, indeed necessary, that for every particle interaction the particles in question will take every alternate route possible at the same time (this is how quantum computers work). This gives rise to parallel universe existing in the same space as us, in the same time frame, yet separated by a mere membrane of string vibrations, like notes on the same guitar wire separated and distinct only by their own unique vibrations.
Imagine a military with the funding and the will to try and bridge the gap between universe, to try and breath the membrane that exists as a mere difference of vibrations. Imagine a machine that, for a second, synchronised our universe with another, vastly different universe were evolution went in a different direction. One minute a creature is hunting in some stinking primordial bog, then in an instant it's sitting in your living room, the exact same place it was before but in a different universe. It has no idea where it is, you have no idea what it is or where it came from, then it attacks you ripping you limb from limb. The military, switching off their machine now have to deal with the fact that two atmospheres, for a second, merged, creating a thick mist and that creatures have been left in this universe unable to return to their own universe because their quantum signature is still in sync with ours.
So yes, although far fetched, I can see how it is at the very least possible.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hmm...Interesting question. Lets take a look...It would have taken a mere flip of the coin of chance for evolution on our planet to have taken a massively different path. Imagine a world where insects and not mammals were the dominant creatures on Earth. Insects are limited in their size only because they evolved to be small because of decreasing oxygen levels but once, hundreds of millions of years ago they were huge.
Quantum theory tells us that there are 11 dimensions, 7 at right angles to the four we are aware of. Compared to the other 7 we are mere flatlanders. because of the other 7 dimensions it is possible, indeed necessary, that for every particle interaction the particles in question will take every alternate route possible at the same time (this is how quantum computers work). This gives rise to parallel universe existing in the same space as us, in the same time frame, yet separated by a mere membrane of string vibrations, like notes on the same guitar wire separated and distinct only by their own unique vibrations.
Imagine a military with the funding and the will to try and bridge the gap between universe, to try and breach the membrane that exists as a mere difference of vibrations. Imagine a machine that, for a second, synchronised our universe with another, vastly different universe were evolution went in a different direction. One minute a creature is hunting in some stinking primordial bog, then in an instant it's sitting in your living room, the exact same place it was before but in a different universe. It has no idea where it is, you have no idea what it is or where it came from, then it attacks you ripping you limb from limb. The military, switching off their machine now have to deal with the fact that two atmospheres, for a second, merged, creating a thick mist and that creatures have been left in this universe unable to return to their own universe because their quantum signature is still in sync with ours.
So yes, although far fetched, I can see how it is at the very least possible.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Motile]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Fuggle

dude einstain prove that is impossible travel in time

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
i really enjoyed this movie, not only because of the dimensional beasts, but also because it portrays the nature of the human heart at its monstrous best.

The third act btw imho is the best, those "critics" that call this movie bull, are full of it, it requires some thought on behalf of the spectator, todays retadoramas , only need you sit still...

This is one rare 5 star "horror movie" could be considered "art" even on this dimension.

the end act still gives me the chills, and by itself is worth the show!

btw dead can dance ftw!

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by porsche2006
I have just seen this movie called THE MIST. It seems really good to me as I do enjoy Stephen King's films. However, the species of monsters they were fighting in the movie seemed to be of large insects and throughout the movie I just kept wondering where they came from.

Later in the movie they manage to catch 1 of the 3 armed forces military guys. He's the only left since the other two hung themselves after thinking being responsible for what happened. The guy ends up explaining that he heard people at the mountain near the small town say scientists in the facility discovered that there were in fact other dimensions and only wanted to build a "window" to see to the other side but somehow instead created a portal and these things came out. That is why I refer to them as aliens.

Some of them looked like our ordinary creatures like crabs. The only difference is they were like up to 50 feet tall in the film. Some looked like extinct dinosaurs such as the terradactyl. All because the government accidently opened a portal to this other dimension.

My question is such a thing could exist? I mean could the government actually be operating such a massive project like this in our world or is that just too far fetched? And if so, can they lose control that easily if something unexpected just crawled out?

IMDB link to film: imdb.com...

There's a chance this scenario could exist in only a month's time when CERN finally fires up its first test run of the LHC. That sucker could very well open a worm hole and who knows what will come out of it.

new topics

top topics

join