It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Don't You Belive In God???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kirev
I would like to ask you a similar question.. Where is your backing for what you believe? Which is apparently that there is no God?

Simply because there is no evidence to prove there is a god.

There is no evidence that there is no flying spaghetti monster either, why do you not believe in that? Do you not believe in the mole men who inhabit the belly of the earth?

Or the green unicorns on the moon?

Or the easter bunny?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angus65
The reverse is just as valid...

I believe in God because there is no compelling evidence to suggest God doesn't exist.

It's virtually impossible to prove a negative.

By that logic, you also believe in giant leprechauns that fly, invisible horses that live on roof tops and eat rainbows, 6 legged gorillas that can sing opera, and pretty much anything else that you cannot disprove?

Hmmm, I see your problem..

:bnghd:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
(I only read the first post so please do not yell at me for not knowing if this has already been stated by another user.)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Thousand

Oh, I only said "By Definition"

A religion is a group of people who have similar beliefs, and as far as I know, Atheists are a group of people who believe there is no god

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I believe in God because there is no compelling evidence to suggest God doesn't exist.

congrats, you also believe in the flying spaghetti monster, the invisible pink unicorn, russel's teapot, and any god that is in the list i linked to in another post...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Simply put, there is no proof that does not require faith.

Making faith a requirement for believing in a God cancels the idea of God for me. Until God knocks at my door, and beats the faith of himself into me, I will never believe.

Actually, I kinda believe in Zeus.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by nighttowel
Religion was created to keep people in order, thus creating the devil. Like "If you murder someone you gonna go too hell!!"

But in the modern era we have "real laws and law enforcements" there for religion is not only obsolete but stupid...

Now thats not true- Moses killed a man and God buried him. But Moses didn't go to hell. You sin then ask for forgiveness. One sin can't save you though is when you curse the Holy Spirit.

Based on Jack Van Impe God lives well I don't know the levels of space- but the third heaven- don't know if this is true or not.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

congrats, you also believe in the flying spaghetti monster, the invisible pink unicorn, russel's teapot, and any god that is in the list i linked to in another post...

Speaking of the flying spaghetti monster I saw a clip of it on CNN about a week ago.

If there is no God then tell me why there are billions of people living on this earth? If there is no God then who created Adam and Eve a unicorn or wait a fairy? Oh I know it was Zeus.

You have proof all around you just open your eyes and you will see it.

Yet people claim there is no God- Why because you had a tough life or is it due to stubborness? Everyone has tough times doesn't mean there is no God. Join the club.

Better wise up fast because this No God argument is getting old.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
By that logic, you also believe in giant leprechauns that fly, invisible horses that live on roof tops and eat rainbows, 6 legged gorillas that can sing opera, and pretty much anything else that you cannot disprove?

Hmmm, I see your problem..

Of course not, leprechauns are small folk. They don't fly, you're confusing them with fairies. Never heard of an invisible horse, but I have heard of a six foot tall invisible rabbit. And gorillas have always struck me as drummers not singers.

But seriously, I'm not going to be able to prove to you that God exists. Conversely, you will never be able to prove to me that God doesn't exist. It is simply a matter of faith. Of course I could find examples of "faith" used in mathematics or science, given enough time and resources.

One example I do know off the top of my head is the parallel postulate which is used in Euclidean Geometry. There has never (as far as I know) been a successful proof of the postulate, yet it is accepted as true. Being accepted as true. it is used to prove the mid-segment theorem.

So using your logic...if there is no proof, it is not true...our understanding of geometry is flawed and therefore much of our modern math and sciences are wrong.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Mmmm...spaghetti monster. Now you've gone and made me hungry. And you forgot Manbearpig. I absolutely believe in Manbearpig. ;-^)

As for the gods in the linked list... I believe they represent aspects of a divine being. Does that mean I believe in or worship Angus Og, Zeus or any of the others listed? No.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhombus24
Why don't you believe in God?

Simple. For the same reason you don't believe in Allah, or Zeus, or Ra, or Buddha.

Gods are manufactured. It is rather arrogant of you to consider us humans so important in this vast universe, that we are at the center of it, and that there is a divine being who created us. Supposedly, your God gave you free will. Use it.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
The biggest paradox is the one where we imagine an infinite and omnipotent entity that for some reason feels a need to create the Universe. If you're omnipotent and infinite, then by definition you have no needs. You're not lacking anything. No motivation. Completely useless definition.

So asking me to believe (or not believe) in God is like asking me to believe in VGFDFPDJXG. What is that? Don't know. Has no meaning.

That's why I don't even consider myself to be an atheist. How can I even not believe in something that has no meaning?

Right on!

The word Atheist only serves a purpose in context of a theistic society.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

No this argument is not equally valid at all.

You could justify a belief in just about anything by using this kind of rationale. It is irrational and illogical.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
And yet so many people base their "proof" on purely circumstantial evidence. "People die, so there is no God" I mean seriously.. That is some grade-school bull crap! You have no proof to support your claims, so stop trying to "disprove" other peoples just because they "Have no proof"

Provide proof or shut up

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentGem

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

No this argument is not equally valid at all.

You could justify a belief in just about anything by using this kind of rationale. It is irrational and illogical.

Yes. You could. However, that does not, a priori, make the ARGUMENT either illogical or irrational. However, there could be a claim that FAITH, irrespective of flavor or sect, is by definition irrational in and of itself. If you use the term "rational" to define as "proceeding or derived from reason or based on reasoning" then faith is irrational. Because it canNOT be PROVEN emperically (as far as I know).

Therefore, anyone who wishes an empirical proof in either the existance or non-existance of a supreme deity is doomed to disappointment. Each person must approach their decision through FAITH and through an examination of their own, individual, conscience. If you BELIEVE or have FAITH that there is no god (big or little "G"), pax vobiscum. If you do, regardless of whether you call him/her/it God, Allah, Jehovah, or the Spaghetti Monster (and, yes, I HAVE been touched by His Noodly Appendage), may you walk in Beauty.

Personally, I *do* have faith that there is some form of supreme deity. In fact, I have some personal experiences that confirm my feelings but would not even begin to approach the kind of empirical "proof" that anyone else would consider "bullet-proof". However, I feel very sorry for those people whose "worldview" is so ... bland ... that they exclude the divine (in whatever form). As Hamlet said (in the self-titled play) "And therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Right on!

No, according to etymology, atheist means: a- "without" + theos "a god"

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tenryuu

Right on!

Right, and if nobody believed in God within a society, people would not go around defining them selves as Atheist. It would serve no purpose.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tenryuu

Right on!

Right, and if nobody believed in God within a society, people would not go around defining them selves as Atheist. It would serve no purpose.

However, since the MAJORITY of people who speak the English language DO believe in some form of a supreme deity or "god", it behooves one to use the proper vernacular, ah... properly.

And since the etymology of the word is derived from one of the root cultures/languages of English (i.e., Greek), it is still correct to use it with respect to this argument. If you want to place all of your arguments within a rhetorical framework that ignores several thousand years of culture and history, by all means, let me know when you're going to do that so I can stop reading your posts. And, as always, thank you for your valuable input.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

God CAN and IS fun, it does not have to be fanatical at all!!! It is such a chill thing, just to be able to believe in a God, and TRULY believe has filled a void that I had up to about 6 months ago when I went on my first retreat.

So you're saying that if something is fun and fills a void, then one should believe in it?

This is the epitome of my point in that religion is something people WANT to believe not what actually EXISTS, such as Santa Claus and the toothfairy. But because popular opinion says it's not absurd to believe in fairytales, people do anyway and it makes them happy which is fine until they start challenging people who don't believe.

I'm sorry if I come across as rude, but most posts in this topic have been quite rude, especially those directed at atheists, and quite frankly I'm sick of sugarcoating my opinions in provocative, challenging and arrogant topics such as this.

Religion fills the void of mystery and purpose, leaving the human mind satisfied because their natural inquiries are answered. Religion rids humans of the feeling of being unsettled.

It would be lovely to believe that there was such a place as heaven and that everyone who thought different from you was going to burn in hell, but how likely is it that these places (or any other aspects of the Bible) exist given the laws of science we've already accumulated? How likely is it when the only proof is an ancient, primitive book? How is this any different from the mythology that we gladly dismiss as pure myth?

To answer your quesiton simply, I would love to believe the stories in the Bible as I would love to believe our echoes come from an ancient goddess who fell in love with Narcissus, but there are just too many contradictions and too little proof for me to believe in it.

It upsets me that people consider valid opinions pure 'stubbornness'...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
There is no proof god exsists and there is no proof he exsists!!!!!!!

people who do not believe (like me) need proof to believe in something so big

and people who do believe do not need proof for stuff that supposivle makes sence

There is no proof and that is that....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join