It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Large Hadron Collider

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I'm not fully versed in black hole theory, but from what I remember, black holes can evaporate if there isn't any matter nearby for them to draw in. I think it was based on Hawking radiation or whatever they called it. The Hawking radiation leaves the black hole and consequently, energy (mass) is lost.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The LHC has been furher postponed until 10th September 2008.

Link Below to Cern's site

public.web.cern.ch...

Djaybeetoo

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I am looking forward to the first use of the LHC, just to see what happens. It could be the end of the world, or they could discover the Higgs Boson, or nothing will happen at all.

I just have a funny feeling, that after all the hype, all that will happen will be the lights flicker in near by houses, and then the machine breaks down

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
It's been a while since it's been in the news, due to repair work etc. Below is a link to a cute flash animation showing in a simple way how it works. Well, maybe no, but anyway....

hands-on-cern.physto.se...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Drzava

It will give us information like smashing two window panes gives us insight into how glass is made. You will get chunks of unique shapes yet when you place them together you do not get a solid piece of glass. We'll see what it's composed of but not necessarily deep insight into how exactly it was made (the melting of sand).

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

Actually, it's much more complicated than that.
One of the things that gets created is antimatter, something that is very useful in helping to understand how everything was created.

And as for a pane of glass, in this instance we are more disassembling than shattering. We already have a good idea how atoms are constructed, how the base elements come together, ect.
The purpose of this experiment is to go beyond that, and see what is perhaps the founding point of all matter.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

While I'm skeptical that this is the best approach, the fact that anti-matter is an end result is interesting on a number of levels. To my knowledge, when they isolated anti-hydrogen, it was anti the whole way through down to the quarks. Would it then be possible to theorize a process in which matter changes polarity?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

I'm not a physicist, and only got the gist from watching a program.
My understanding is that the atoms are forced back to their creation in the process, and that the creation of a anti-matter atom is something of a 50/50 chance.
Eventually, you end up with a anti-matter atom.

However, my understanding of the process is... severely limited. it's enough to get the concept, but beyond that...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Lets hope we can create Anti-matter...

Vast amounts of energy are released when matter comes into contact with anti-matter...

In other words, its the beginning of finding a potential energy source... Anti-matter = Free energy...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by whahh

We can create anti-matter. However, not in large quantities.

And, consideirng that it would be much more destructive than nuclear tech, it'll be a long time before it works it's way towards being a energy source.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I'm no expert either. I read that isolating anti-helium would take several billions of years in order to account for the small probability if it was done in the same way they isolated anti-hydrogen. It could happen on the first attempt which is the funny thing about statistics, anything above 0 is as good as 99%. All that leads into we could just as easily been an anti-matter universe and maybe even open the door for temporarily neutral matter. I'm pretty sure we won't make mini black holes and any results would be interesting because its not like we can observe these things elsewhere.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whahh

The energy released is like a lightning bolt uniting positive and negative charges into one burst of energy. When that comes at the expense of matter, it a much MUCH more violent discharge.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What will happen.
Something great no doubt.
I call all this atomic exploration ether science.

If alpha particles, the nucleus of a Helium atom, can be ejected
by atoms under stress, from small and large atomic weight atoms,
and them pick up electrons out of nowther to become the complete
Helium atom the must be something creative going on.

The stress of radioactivity on larger atoms might be done by
the ordinary ion production in the air caused by Cosmic Rays
which are high speed particles from the Suns.

Thus other more stable atoms are made to eject electrons or
Helium nuclei by some similar stress like UV rays.

Combining Hadrons might not come about.
We might just make a bunch of nuclei of Helium that become
Helium gas for the Macy's Day Parade or for the Papp
Plasma Engines. A plot to make more oils less engines for cars
and the anti gravity craft the NWO own and make.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by whahh

We can create anti-matter. However, not in large quantities.

How can you weigh something with negative to neutral mass? You must weigh reality....

Edit: Since everybody was waving around about antimatter and bd or black matter. The real spacepuff...

[edit on 23/5/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

Edit: and how do you handle a potentially selfreplicating nanodroid from spreading throughout the world, and wake up to the weirdest morning......

[edit on 23/5/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Finally a post on the Hadron-Collider, i was beginning to think that everyone forgot about it,question is, how do we know these scientists aren't keeping results from us?

I hope there's people here on ATS that will keep us posted with experiment results and conclusions,as well as their ideas.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Just a post to notify that I edited my last post after the next poster had posted -- eh, ja -- 2 lines

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And do you know what I believe? I believe they have made some discoveries already with the cycles. Probably core level"magnofissusion" where they blast two cores together within a powerful magnetic field.... Who knows....

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Here's the wiki article on antimatter:
en.wikipedia.org...

Cern Website:
public.web.cern.ch...

And if you want to keep up to date on finds, you need to find some science news websites.
I've subscribed to a couple of archaeology ones, and keep an eye on a few blogs I enjoy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join