It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nostradamus predicts next US president

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
Am I missing the sarcasm in this thread or did nobody notice that this site is used to point out md5 hash collisions?

We have prepared twelve different predictions, ten of which are shown in the table below.

All twelve documents we prepared, the ten given above and two hidden ones, have the MD5 hash value

3D515DEAD7AA16560ABA3E9DF05CBC80.

case closed

I was just thinking the same thing. It does´nt take that much reading to see that they are advocating not to use MD5 hash values as digital verification of a documents authenticity/unaltered state. Mainly because they have discovered(though based on other people´s research I think) a way to generate non-gibberish documents with the same values.
This is actually rather important in some areas and not just math magic.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DigitalGrl

yeah.... me either...

thats why I just made a nice little joke about it... Sometimes its just easier to laugh at what you don't understand; as opposed to accepting ones own ignorance.

that said (and no offense meant... I include myself in the ignorant on the actual topic of MD5 hash values.)

seriously if anyone knows what their talking about can you please give a laymens overview of exactly what the hell this is all about?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawk123
The commitment to this document, computed as the MD5 hash value of the document, is
3D515DEAD7AA16560ABA3E9DF05CBC80

interesting code, very interesting indeed..

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven
seriously if anyone knows what their talking about can you please give a laymens overview of exactly what the hell this is all about?

MD5 has been employed in a wide variety of security applications, and is also commonly used to check the integrity of files. An MD5 hash is typically expressed as a 32-character hexadecimal number.

So lets say microsoft puts a file on it's website that users can download and install. Obviously they want to make sure nobody tampers with that file because an attacker could make use of microsofts status to create a false sense of security (yeah bad example).
So what they do is create an MD5 hash of the file and show it on their website, when a user downloads the file, he can generate an MD5 hash of the file and check it against the one provided on the website the file is coming from.
If the two are equal, your chances that the file is genuine/not tampered with are higher. I say higher because this article shows that it's not fool proof.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Shroomery

No, I caught that too. Basically, they created a number of different predictions that all produce the same MD5 hash. No matter which of the documents (candidate prdictions) they release, they produce the same MD5 hash. The trick here is that they found a way to sort of reverse engineer the hash, so they could produce different documents with the same hash.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

You are right. Nostradamus is DEAD. Interesting to see this finding in the code. Be aware that Nostradamus his predictions are still alive.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
but what does this hash have to do with a prediction of the next prez or nostradamus??? im totally lost. i took a look at the website but all i read was "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" thats frustrated talk for "i am not getting this" lol

but thanks for explaining what a hash is.

digitalgrl

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DigitalGrl

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but here is how I understand this.

Its just a version of an old magic trick.
Produce an envelope with a dated postmark on it to prove you "knew in advance" which card the volunter would choose. In this case the "card" is a president instead of a spade, and the hash is equal to the postmark, proving the date it was "mailed".

The audience isn't told that the magician has all 12 cards in envelopes marked with the same date, so that he can present whichever card/president was choosen.

In this case, the audience is told the magician has all 12 cards because the article isnt really about who the next president will be, or Nostradamus, or magic tricks. Its about raising awareness (by naming the technique Nostradamus to get your attention) that there is an exploitable flaw in one of the systems used for computer program and document security/verification using a random number generator. Its about showing how they came to their conclusion by publishing reproducable test results, so that the problem will eventually be addressed/fixed.

And it worked.
The flaw in the random number generator has been all over the web lately. I think there were even some ATS posts about the rumor that it was an intentional flaw designed or helped along and used by the NSA.

I have a sneaky suspicion that its something more mundane. Like maybe some company came up with a newer version of the number generator, so they made waves in the media about the flaw to sell their system as the new global "default" number generator? Just guessing though.

[edit on 12/5/07 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
ok so let me see..

i get the analogy you made.

so basically (correct me if im wrong) the hash system that is used in computer programming isnt really randomly generated in the first place? so its fixed is what you are saying? that some company has you mentioned makes only certain generations available? what would be the purpose of that?

am i understanding you right?lol

thanks!
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
As simple as I can put it Although I expect I will fail.

Every single file is meant to generate its own unique hash which is different than any other files hash. Think of it as a file fingerprint.

This is so you can see you have a correct version and not tampered with one.
Basicly a a tampered version would not generate the same hash.

The whole site is basicly a big example of a way to make any file get the same hash as the original one meaning basicly a hacker could switch the files undetected or in this case they can use any name they want and still get the same hash.

Basicly the sites saying Hash files cant be relied on any more look what we can do.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
WOuld not believe a word of what Nostrdamunus said or predicted as the information was giving too him by demons. NOT GOD. He is a FALSE.

END OF.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

AHA! i got it now. wow, that took some work didnt it? i promise you i am not usually this dense lol.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me

Kind Regards,
Digitalgrl

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Come on you guys, don't you know that Aaron Donahue, self proclaimed world's greatest prophet and psychic has already stated who the next president will be. He said it will be John Edwards....

Oh yeah. I forgot that he also put some conditions in there such as John Edwards would be next president as long as more people go out and vote for him. If that condition isn't met then it won't be John Edwards. Yeah, usually the one to become president is the one most people vote for. But I swear, the guy has still got to be the world's greatest prophet, because he's predicted winning lottery numbers ahead of time in Japan. That's what he says. I've tried to confirm that by outside sources and can't, but I don't think he'd lie. He also says he's inventing a time machine that uses some of his own DNA. So the guy has to be damn smart to accomplish that, I mean whenever he actually finishes it and gets it working, or starts work on it or whatever.

So you've heard it here first, the next president will be John Edwards as long as more people vote for him than the other candidates. Aaron Donahue, world's greatest prophet doesn't play games by waiting until after the election to tell you that.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Nostradamus predicted Obama

Century 1
The man will be called by a barbaric name
that three sisters will receive from destiny.
He will speak then to a great people in words and deeds,
more than any other man will have fame and renown.

A hundred times will the inhuman tyrant die,
In his place put one learned and mild,
The entire Senate will be under his hand,
He will be vexed by a rash scoundrel.

Barbaric Name = Middle name of Hussein
Inhuman Tyrant = Bush or Hillary, you be the judge
Rash Scoundrel = Bubba

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Strange: Obama differs 1 letter from Osama.
Are you sure you that Nostradamus did not predict the other name ?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
theres ways to hack md5's so a document compares...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Ronnie6657]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The next President will be Barack Obama

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hawk123

how many times, he predicted something, it didn't happen?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
As you see the Nostradamus prediction method is re-invented again by the university below. It will be Obama.
www.win.tue.nl...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawk123
As you see the Nostradamus prediction method is re-invented again by the university below. It will be Obama.
www.win.tue.nl...

Nostradamus predicted Osama.

Century 1
The man will be called by a barbaric name
that three sisters will receive from destiny.
He will speak then to a great people in words and deeds,
more than any other man will have fame and renown.

A hundred times will the inhuman tyrant die,
In his place put one learned and mild,
The entire Senate will be under his hand,
He will be vexed by a rash scoundrel.

Barbaric Name = Middle name of Hussein
Inhuman Tyrant = Bush or Hillary, you be the judge
Rash Scoundrel = Bubba

The secret codename is: 3D515DEAD7AA16560ABA3E9DF05CBC80

[edit on 5-11-2008 by hawk123]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join