It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US says it has right to kidnap British citizens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   

US says it has right to kidnap British citizens

www.timesonline.co.uk

AMERICA has told Britain that it can “kidnap” British citizens if they are wanted for crimes in the United States.

A senior lawyer for the American government has told the Court of Appeal in London that kidnapping foreign citizens is permissible under American law because the US Supreme Court has sanctioned it.

The admission will alarm the British business community after the case of the so-called NatWest Three, bankers who were extradited to America on fraud charges. More than a dozen other British executives, including senior managers at British Airways and BAE Systems, are under investigation by the US authorities and could face criminal charges in America.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
What has happened to that fine American democracy? the traditions of liberty and freedom in which the nation was founded on?

What gives the US any right to kidnap foreign citizens, especially from your number one ally in the world? This is an outright abuse and violation of human rights.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I agree that sounds odd. Especially directed at GB...I wonder if maybe he, (the lawyer), was missquoted or taken out of context...gonna look further into this one.
good find.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

What makes you think that Brittish citizens are different than anyone else in the world? The US thinks it is A-Okay to spy on it's own citizens and pretty much thinks it can kidnap / torture anyone that it wants.

I don't see where the Brittish are being given any special treatment. The same injustice is applied to all.

CX

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Despite the extremes that both of our governments go to at times, i think we have to take a step back a moment and remember that the US and the UK are allies.

The word "kidnap" i feel is being used far too literaly here. Do people think the US would just pluck our citizens from our streets without any communication with our goverment, or request for assistance?

We may only be a small country, but i'm not sure we are a friend the US can afford to lose.

CX.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Interesting. I am not finding news of this on any US sites.
I was always under the impression that we had to abide by the laws of the governing country and work within their jurisdiction when it came to extraditing people. Sure it is legal here in the US but what if you are not in the US? we should folow their laws. I don't believe we have the right to go stomping through other peoples countries rampantly breaking their laws. If the criminals got away with a crime and their particular country lets them get away with the crime for whatever reason then so be it. The law works both ways so we can harbor lawbreakers as well as GB can.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
The word "kidnap" i feel is being used far too literaly here. Do people think the US would just pluck our citizens from our streets without any communication with our goverment, or request for assistance?

Nah, that wouldn't happen...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Italian authorities have issued arrest warrants for 13 people they claim are agents "linked to the CIA".

The suspects are accused of abducting an Islamic cleric in Milan in 2003 and flying him to Egypt for interrogation.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The US State Department refused to comment on the claims.

But, currently, many of unsure if this only applies to terrorist suspects. However, Human Right groups believes this is generic i.e anyone can be taken.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
A lot of freedoms have been replaced under the guise of security.

One way or another they will get everyone to believe it's for their best, all while governments gain more power.

Sooner or later, we will have to choose to keep our freedoms or our security, and those who choose will be labeled as the enemy by our own goverment.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Well if this is true and that's how the USA is gonna play it, I say we Brits invade America, kidnap Bush, take him back to UK and charge him with war crimes, corruption and any other illegal activities we can pin on him or fabricate.

I'd love to state a few personal opinions of that particular 'person' commonly known as G.W.Bush, but I don't want to violate T+C in ATS.

I don't give a monkeys about any possibility that I could get kidnapped for my opinions.

Will be interesting to see how far the US government thinks it can stretch its 'long arms of the law'.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Well if this is true and that's how the USA is gonna play it, I say we Brits invade America, kidnap Bush, take him back to UK

no seriously..seriously... wait

i'm sorry..it is just so

-------------------------------
Edit to remove a dozen smilies

ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
On one hand, its exactly the hypocrisy youd expect from then, could you imagine if NK or Iran did the same thing if a US citizen was wanted by them?

On the other hand, it doesnt really matter as theyve proved time and time again the law means nothing so theyd do the same thing even if it was against the law.

Personally, Id love to see the UK refuse to hand over any suspect to the US from now on until that law is removed.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Does anyone else see the blatant irony here. "US Supreme" court and "foreign" used in the article. I know this for certain though. If the shoe were on the other foot all hell would break loose. Could you image the uproar if an american were plucked from a foreign country even in the guise of the war on terror. All's fair in love and war if they can do it so can anyone else.

brill

[edit on 2-12-2007 by brill]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
One has to wonder how this will affect britain in regards to the EU....if this weakens an already stretched "special" relationship between america and britain it might push us towards the EU.

Just a thought,

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
it might push us towards the EU.

we can only hope

But it won't happen under Brown, he can't even make a simple decision.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Well if this is true and that's how the USA is gonna play it, I say we Brits invade America, kidnap Bush, take him back to UK and charge him with war crimes, corruption and any other illegal activities we can pin on him or fabricate.

But not before we subject him to a particularly cruel form of British torture...tea-boarding!

Give me a mo' to grab my red coat and I'll join your invasion party

[edit on 2-12-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Err... well... if someone is illegally taken from the UK without going through the formal extradition procedures then those behind it would be guilty of kidnapping under British law. Can we kidnap the kidnappers to face trial for kidnapping?

Where does the cycle end?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I thought that it was illegal under the Human Rights Act for the British government to allow the extradition of any citizen to another nation that has the death penalty?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Polite American
I agree that sounds odd. Especially directed at GB...I wonder if maybe he, (the lawyer), was missquoted or taken out of context...gonna look further into this one.
good find.

It would be odd directed at anybody. USA are the bullies of the world now. Who do the americans think they are. Well if they have the right to kidnap citizens from other countries, then it is only fair that other countries are permitted to kidnap americans if they are wanted for any excuse the respective government can think of.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
Err... well... if someone is illegally taken from the UK without going through the formal extradition procedures then those behind it would be guilty of kidnapping under British law. Can we kidnap the kidnappers to face trial for kidnapping?

Where does the cycle end?

Exactly what I was thinking...

Count me in, in the invasion force...

Seriously though, if this happened then I think ties between the great allies would weaken.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by mr-lizard]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join