It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack on Christmas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

I know i may be citing a old source but i still feel it is relavent, i am know seeing ads as new products coming Holiday 2007 instead of Christmas. i do realize there are other holidays,which to me used to coexist peacefully until one secular gets his feathers ruffled and feels he needs to do the world a service and speak up. To me this seems like a circular arguement such as christians are intolerent bigots if we dont recognize this or that but isnt it just as intolerent to label or not accept the "Diversity" of christians or any faith for that matter. I am sure some nice well informed atheists will point out the error of my ways but wouldnt that make him intolerent of my faith? If you are in agreeence please post some examples of how you have seen Christmas under attack. also please note this thread is ment to discuss this topic not to "offend" anyone.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Not a matter of tolerance, It's a matter of being hounded by the press in their quest to HYPE a situation and make it more important then it really is, and the fools who listen to the HYPE... Merry Christmass... See it's not very hard to say, and if it offends someone because they dont celibrate Christmass... To Bad sorry for your luck, Cry me a river, Build a bridge and Get over it...A bunch of PC crapola making an issue out of nothing...

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneshot1

Merry Christmas to you sir

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
IMHO, Christmas was attacked and seized a long time ago by the corporations. The main idea of it now is "if you love somebody, you won't mind getting into debt to make them happy".
How many times have you heard people say how unfair it is because "someone spent this much on so and so, and only this much on this person"?
It's nothing more that a clever marketing campaign to sell things people don't want to buy.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
it seems the "war on christmas" propaganda comes earlier and earlier every year

thing is... this isn't an attack

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Thank you fo being vague and handling your elipsis's with care. give me 3 examples how this isnt a attack?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I would rather have a commercialized christmas which yet still acknowledged then one where it is referred to as "holiday" because some lefty atheist has become offended or its deemed intolerant because forcing someone to give up their beliefs and values isnt intolerant at all

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A couple of years ago they were running a show around christmas time that basically called Mary a whore, speculated that jesus was the illegitimate child of a roman soldier, called the disciples free loading faith healers who were probably deadbeat fathers, and to beat it all they were running this show on the Science and the History channel. I don't remember the name of the show but it had that guy from Star Treck Deep Space Nine hosting it.
Another show year before last year was calling Christmas Christmaskah and another channel was running something called the Twelve days of christmas and it was all gore and horror flicks. Why would they attack Christmas? Because the symbolism and meaning of Christmas is dangerously close to the truth about Christianity, that's why.
Who would do such a thing? Well, who owns the media?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

your link is dead and christinity has a habit of either being rewritten or having some long lost secret discovered about it from yes you guessed it athetist or other anti christian religions.while i respect your opinion sir,why speak out against a faith that has nothing against you nor would it attack your belief structure?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
People get offended far too easily. Does it really matter if it's called christmas or holiday after all? If it does I think there are more issues to you. I don't care either way as long as most are happy and things are jpyous. Thats what really matters and not what people are calling what. Don't you agree?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeroeffect
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I would rather have a commercialized christmas which yet still acknowledged

Why do you require acknowledgment? Are you so insecure in your beliefs that you need constant public validation?

then one where it is referred to as "holiday" because...

It's called "The Holiday Season" because it is..There is much more going on than Christmas.

The Jews are celebrating Hanukkah
Pagans are celebrating 'Sol Invictus'
Baha'i are celebrating 'Masa'il' and 'Sharaf'
Muslims are celebrating 'Eid al-Adha' & 'Day of Hajj'
Shinto's are celebrating'Tohji-taisai'
Zoroastrians are celebrating 'Anniversary of Zarathustra'
African American's are celebrating 'Kwanzaa'

[edit on 12/2/2007 by pstiffy]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by I See You

IMHO it is a bit more complicated then that but you make a decent point.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pstiffy

not to nitpick but technically i could argue that kwanzaa is not a holiday and the other holidays you have listed could be considered not recognizable enough to offend someone if not noticed www.uexpress.com...
with the exception of the chanukka (sp)?

[edit on 2-12-2007 by zeroeffect]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Actually, yes, it does matter to me, and not because I'm insecure in my faith, but because it's a stripping away of all things Christian in society. We've watched as the Ten Commandments, the very things that this nation was founded on and our laws were written from, were taken from Public Schools. We've watched as the words "UNDER GOD" were removed from our Pledge of Allegiance, before it was taken out of our class rooms. We've watched as evolution was taught in our schools alongside creationalism, then it replaced it altogether and Creation isn't even taught anymore as a theory, while evolution is taught as fact when it isn't proven. We've watched as children in public school systems are told they can't wear a visible cross in schools or a Christian t-shirt to school, while other's are able to wear t-shirts of other faiths. So, yes, it does matter. It is a stripping away of all things Christian, and it matters to us.

You know, in the 1950's, school problems were kids chewing gum and talking in the classrooms, now, it's guns and drugs (don't know if it's ok to make a reference to them in that instance...if not, please remove the reference mods). You see, the Happy Holidays reference isn't the whole issue, it's just a part of a bigger problem. As was once said "The philosophy of the classroom in one generation will be the philosophy of the government of the next." It's a moral decline, and that is a big issue.

Pretty soon, you know, we won't even be able to find a Hallmark Christmas Card, I guess. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Anyways, Merry Christmas.

regan

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This particular holiday was hijacked from pagans by Constantine's Rome in the fourth century so the followers of baby Jesus don't actually own the copyright.

I will continue to use the generic "Happy Holidays" in order to include all of the different believers (or non-believers) out there. In this way only intolerant fundamentalists will be offended which, in my experience, is pretty much how they go through life anyway.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by befoiled

While i appreciate your statement which lacked any kind of source documenting the real christmas is a mesh of the birth of christmas and this man right here www.stnicholascenter.org... yes he did exist and started the gifting tradition which then became commercialized. yay i love fact sighting

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zeroeffect

Good find, zeroeffect. Hope you didn't mind me bringing up my thoughts on the whole matter in your thread, but I felt it needed to be said. Merry Christmas to you, my friend.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeroeffect
While i appreciate your statement which lacked any kind of source documenting the real christmas is a mesh of the birth of christmas and this man right here www.stnicholascenter.org... yes he did exist and started the gifting tradition which then became commercialized. yay i love fact sighting

Facts? Depends on whom you ask.

Christianity is a relative newcomer among religions and owes much to its pagan roots, including December 25th.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by regs

Merry Christmas to you too friend

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by befoiled

i respect your opinion but that source is coincidental at best i am sure many non christian holiday share pagan dates,this IMHO does no makes for a strong arguement

top topics

<<   2 >>

join