It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity Dying?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
My personal Opinion

Well I'm not one who cares whether one side is right or wrong but from observations and material I have read on the internet Christianity is the top religion of the world followed by Islam and Hindu religions.

But apparently Christianity is shrinking / losing ground to Islam and the atheists and from driving by churches you only see the really young kids or the really old people except on holidays.

So theres the information if wished to present, make your own decision and don't just believe me. look things up for yourselves.

thanks

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

If I were you I would cool it on the Biblical quotes...sometimes that alienates would be followers further and further from religion

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This topic reminds me of a book I read about 6 years ago.

Why Christianity Must Change or Die - by John Shelby Spong

www.spiritualityandpractice.com...

Written by a bishop who came to his senses and realized that the religion of Christianity is one big giant hoax.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conundrum04
This topic reminds me of a book I read about 6 years ago.

Why Christianity Must Change or Die - by John Shelby Spong

www.spiritualityandpractice.com...

Written by a bishop who came to his senses and realized that the religion of Christianity is one big giant hoax.

But who did not, however, resign his job, car, chauffeur, salary, pension, perks.... etc etc.

Do we really admire people who bite the hand that feeds them?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

um... it's not that hard for atheists to look down on the message of jesus and the bible. the problems ...

It's incredibly easy for everyone else to look down on atheists, tho. This is because they won't discuss the value-idea system by which they live -- conformity to societal values -- and simply sit around thinking up excuses why Christianity is wrong. Funnily enough, they find them. The rest of us roll our eyes and make an excuse as they start to whine. You can't respect people who don't have an intellectual position that they can define or discuss, other than hate for others and conformity to the values set by the powerful.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I am Catholic and I have to admit that the Church is not good at recruiting new members. Parables that worked and were understood 2000 years ago have little effect now. If you aren't born into the religion, you automatically call it into question because its so intangible.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
Well, I met God, and Lord Jesus Christ when I died on an operating table, and was fought for and brought back.

You wouldn't trust your brain "on drugs" so why would you trust your brain "on death"? The human brain even without the influence of drugs or death (given that you died on an operating table, I assume you were under the influence of both) is able to create its own internal experiences. They may seem to be real and may even have life changing or more often than not - life threatening consequences, but they are purely hallucinatory.

By the way I am originally from Singapore and of Japanese decent so most of the ND experiences I have heard about come from people who are buddhist or shinto and their NDEs revolve around that. No god, JeZeus, angels or demons but hallucinations of bliss in the buddhaland or whatever. Would you have us to believe that your brain on death was more acute than their brains on death?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxor311
Islam is now the fastest growing religion (20% worldwide) and grows at a rate of 1.84% While Christianity grows at a rate of only 1.38 %.

It's also the fastest growing religion currently in the US. The Catholic Church says that active parishioners are at an all time low.

Why is the interest in Christianity dying? comments?

Sounds good to me, it means prophecy coming true!

also i think muslim families are larger as a norm (i may be wrong)

Just who is a Muslim though, those born into a family?

A bloke at my work told me last year he was a Christian, This year he has joined in the jokes aimed at me. So i pulled him up on the fact that he had told me he was Christian. He said he was, because that was what his mum had told him???????????????

I'm sure something similar happens in muslim families

david

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
Well, I met God, and Lord Jesus Christ when I died on an operating table, and was fought for and brought back.

I told a Priest, and she laughed in my face, saying God was a concept, a thought, nothing more.

I read about this also from a pastor who died in a car crash.

I would like to know more about it.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I think both Islam and Christianity as organized religions are dying.... which in my opinion is a good thing... perhaps the ideal behind both can return to being deeply private and personal matters between the individual and their concept of a creator and opposed to trying to dictate public policy.

Anyway all of the truly devout of any faith I have ever met, have little regard for the organized variety of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by luxor311

Im sorry im new here and didn't have much time to read beyond the first page of this thread. Im quoting the OP, we are the "lucky ones because we question authority". That's about all we do... keep questioning and hoping someone else or something else gives us the answer... (just my opinion) Read the holy bible, the glorious quran, and the taurat. And im not talking about the 40 different versions of the bible that you read in the western world im talking about the original ones in hebrew and greek text which havent been changed. Then have science contradict them. I've been hearing a lot of crap like omg there was this field of energy and the universe was created like a popcorn or the big bang theory or the "this is SPAAARRRTTAA" theory. I mean doesn't it sound more logical to say a supreme being started everything?? Explain, before the energy field existed, or ANYTHING existed, what was there? I need a scientific explanation... only thing you can say is NOTHING. So then how do you get SOMETHING from NOTHING??

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yes, Christianity is dying. What's the cause of it's slow decay?

Christians, mostly. Corruption and perversion and selfishness and intellectual dishonesty are rife through all branches of Christendom. The majority of Christians take it for granted that they will be going to heaven - and conversely, everyone they disagree with will be going to hell. Their leaders are either wealthy pedophiles... or wealthy pedophiles who don't believe in communion. Some attempt to escape this by further dividing, forming small church cores or independent worship groups, which rapidly become personality cults. The most prominent displays of Christian belief in the western world is a bunch of chowderheads clamoring for gays, women, and atheists to be hounded and oppressed, and for nuclear weapons to be used to cleanse the world of Islam.

"But I'm not like that!" cries one of our forum Christians. Is he doing anything to fix these problems? No. Rather, he does some religious slight of hand bullcrap, "MY Christianity is better than THEIR Christianity, they're not real Christians, I don't have a religion, I have a lifestyle, you can't pin any church on me because I don't have a church!" Intellectual cowardice. They want all the benefits of calling themselves Christian, but none of the responsibilities - no different than those pedophile priests, or the prosperity doctrine pastors.

All this has the net result of a religion shambling along in its last days. Christianity has a lot of potential - but its followers would have to actually be Christians, as in, following what Jesus teaches, rather than the salad bar approach to the book they all currently take, rather than the aggressive "with us or against us!" mentality that so many have.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
All religions are growing faster than anyone can count, because people are realizing the depths of spirituality, and the shallows of religion, and they are all beginning to unite.
This is not something people generally can put down on a consensus form or be gathered from statistics, its a mental understanding far beyond this realms coherence. I just look like I study many faiths to my computer, but in reality, they all work for me, not a single one has failed. And the man in the catholic church, may know the same things, but is just keeping tradition with his newfound understanding of oneness. Statistics don't touch this group.
Remove labels like Jesus or Krishna, or Mohammed or whatever, and just look at the energy signature of what they embody, then look at all the world religions, then look into your heart, and then tell me one God did not create the conditions for every universe to exist.
A scientists may come to such a revelation, but will not have the words to describe the situation, since he would be either making up new terms to sugar coat spiritual ones, or, using spiritual ones that discount his scientific decree.

Someone could turn this all around and say people are becoming more scientific about their spirituality, and in truth, its correct, because spirituality is something you can use the scientific method to validate, you just have to be willing to do the work internally, rather than tangibly, even though many of the results will leak into your tangible universe, synchronicity an such.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join