It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

honeywell micro air vehicle for police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Yeehaw! Southern police departments in Houston, Texas and Miami-Dade, Florida are fixin' to take in the Honeywell Micro Air Vehicle (or MAV) for a crash course in law enforcement. The remote-controlled drone video tapes everything it sees and acts as an eye where police can't easily go. It's easy to lug around as a backpack since it only weighs around 15 pounds, it takes five minutes to deploy, can zip around at 50 knots, and hover 10,000 feet in the air. Good gravy! Honeywell says the MAV is incredibly easy to operate. The drones will give police officers a surveillance option as the drone can peer through windows (or fly through open ones) and hover around corners.

Check out Honeywell's site for a video of the whimsical little police bot taking to the skies.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I was wondering when that device would go live. I remember seeing it on the Future Weapons show on Discovery last year.

I'll be closing my blinds and curtains more often now.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Why is the average citizen becoming criminally profiled?

The lengths that are being taken to *see* every aspect of an individuals life is appalling.

I don't understand exactly the motivation. This country already has the highest inmate population per capita, I guess they are just trying to find a way to "catch" the rest of us so we can be marched away to our punishment for any minor infraction one may fall into.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Here's kind of an update to this story - has a good video on there as well of the little demon in action

www.flightglobal.com...

If anyone has ever played Half Life 2- these function similar to those pesky scanners that run around snapping pictures of the populace

www.hlfallout.net...

Where is gordon freeman when you need him?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

History Channel just re-ran that show. Interesting little craft.

Here's a great review of it from the DR site:

Honeywell MAV

features both "hover and stare" and "perch and stare" capabilities, so it can provide real-time combat information (or recorded information) while in the air or on the ground. This operational versatility is made possible by the MAV's lift-augmented ducted fan propulsion system which gives the MAV VTOL (vertical takeoff and landing) capability and allows it to operate virtually anywhere, even in confined spaces. And, once it gets there it can loiter in one spot, either in the air (hover and stare mode) or on the ground (perch and stare mode).

So, what's the MAV project really all about? Well, it would appear that the goal is to give U.S. military infantry personnel a similar mobile, backpackable remote-control robotic telepresence capability in the air to what they already have on the ground with reconnaissance and surveillance UGV (unmanned ground vehicle)/robotic systems like the iRobot PackBot family (including the backpackable PackBot Scout reconnaissance and surveillance robot), Foster-Miller Weaponized Talon Robot/SWORDS (which can actually target and engage the enemy), and Dragon Runner (another backpackable recon/surveillance robot). The idea is to send the MAV ahead as a scout to gleen real-time intelligence before you send your troops in.

Imagine a single patrol, maybe three SEALS, with this device, could move in and set up a robust surveillance that you just couldn't have done 5-10 years ago.

They could use it to call down air strikes and pinpoint the ordinance.

Nice.

Here's the data sheet (PDF)

It would be nice to have a civilian version of this for use in doing surveys or even for hikers and explorers to use to survey the wilderness area around them. Would be a boon to the Bigfoot hunters also.

Autumn Williams used a lot of high tech gadgetry in her show, Mysterious Encounters

Her video:

From BF Forums:

This beautifully produced independent documentary chronicles the first leg of a month-long journey through the Oregon Cascades in search of a living legend. Produced and directed by Autumn Williams, former host of OLN's Mysterious Encounters, it features 113 minutes total running time, digital quality audio and video, and bonus features.

With something like this a small group of researchers could do a great excursion and really gather some good data, and being in backpack form (and minus the weaponized aspects) it wouldn't be that hard to pack into the bush.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 11/4/2008 by Badge01]

new topics

top topics

join