It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SetiSpy & WUs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Forgive me for asking this (obvious) question. I have been running SETI since 2001 (profile). Late last year, someone mention, 'SetiSpy' to me. I installed it, as he said it would have a smaller memory footprint and use a fraction of the processor, allowing more to crunching the WU.

Guess I was looking for feedback from anyone else out there running this program. I have it installed, but I dont think it is configured correctly. I am looking to decrease my average CPU Time/WU.

Also looking to possibly donate all my WUs to ATS, as I am still not affiliated with any group.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hi Oswald!!

Welcome aboard!!

Well, there are quite a few threads here, which have some interesting stuff on them about sppeding up WU cracking eg

www.abovetopsecret.com...

so perhaps you could browse through these?

I use SETI Spy, SETi Stats *and* SETI Monitor too, but I'm just plain greedy!!

Well, please *condsider* joining ATS SETI@home team Oswald - we have seen a remarkable increase in members recently and currently have 74 115 WU's completed.... We also have a GREAT team spirit here, as you'll see if you read through some of the posts!!

If you have any further questions/ comments, please don't hestitate to ask!!

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your time on ATS!!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Just for the record

Here is a recent screenshot of ATS SETI@home stats from SETI Spy:

Very useful way to keep "track" of how the teams doing (which is very well!!)

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Outstanding!
I will check out that thread you linked. I quickly looked at one of the reduction threads, but will take a bit more time to investigate. Currently, I dedicated a dual P3 (2x1Ghz) with 2GB of RAM to SETI, along with a few "other" non-SETI programs running. So that might add to the 14+ hours of WU time. I look forward to more interaction and possibly joining Team ATS.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
You're most welcome Oswald!!

I joined SETI@home in 2001 too, in July, so please feel free to check my profile too!!

Best wishes G ;^))

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
can someone please tell me more about the seti thing you install on your computer?? I'm interested in the computer security issues, extra vulnerabilites to hackers, does it use much RAM, e.g. when I want to open 8 programs on here and I run SETI will it use all my CPU and cause my computer to crash every time I run it?? Also, how do I know there's no spyware or security exploitations in the software or coming through to my computer??

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
can someone please tell me more about the seti thing you install on your computer?? I'm interested in the computer security issues, extra vulnerabilites to hackers, does it use much RAM, e.g. when I want to open 8 programs on here and I run SETI will it use all my CPU and cause my computer to crash every time I run it?? Also, how do I know there's no spyware or security exploitations in the software or coming through to my computer??

I've been running it since 01 and had no problems.
Use a spyware program to check it out.
It can run as a screen saver so it won't use much memory unless you set it to run harder.

link   

This should hopefully answer any questions for you.
FAQ

I Run Spybot everyday and have not had any spyware from SETI on my computer, I don't even know the program is running. IT only uses 18,000k on my computer

link   
Hi sugeshotcha!!

Well, first "welcome"!!

The *best* thing I can advise is look at the threads in the SETI forums , as many of the questions you ask are in there.

Look, for example, at www.abovetopsecret.com...

one the first page, where I *try* to give a "FAQ's" type resonse about SETI@home.

As regards "spyware" issues and general security:

I've run SETI@home since July 200I. I run adaware periodically (every two to three days, after updates) and SETI has *never* been revealled as being ad -or spy - ware. I also use SheildsUP (to test my firewall) etc and that too hasn't reported any problems. I use AVP, of course...

I hope this helps - any questions, please ask!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
Just for the record

Here is a recent screenshot of ATS SETI@home stats from SETI Spy:

Very useful way to keep "track" of how the teams doing (which is very well!!)

It's that "Team Rank: Unranked" that gets me.
It would be nice to rank

I don't really know why, it just would.
It would actually feel like we were getting some where.
We are doing great, and increasing members and Wu's fast. We still need more help, more members to join and actually pertisipate (sp?).

Anyway, GOOD JOB EVERYONE!
KEEP IT UP

L8Rs
BAKED

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakedIt's that "Team Rank: Unranked" that gets me.
It would be nice to rank

I don't really know why, it just would.
It would actually feel like we were getting some where.
We are doing great, and increasing members and Wu's fast. We still need more help, more members to join and actually pertisipate (sp?).

Anyway, GOOD JOB EVERYONE!
KEEP IT UP

L8Rs
BAKED

Cheers baked!!

Well, we'd have to move very fast to catch up with the lead team:

1) Team Ars Technica Lamb Chop 6824 members, 14649399WU's, 15489.815 years CPU time, Average time 9 hr 15 min 45.1 sec

BUT, with 6824 *members* - what do you think??

And, we *may* be "small fish" but - we're growing, for sure!!

Let's catch Team Ars Technica Lamb Chop people!!

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Genya]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Thanks everyone. Does this SETI screensaver tell you if it's found Alien life or something?? How do I know if the information my computer has processed has found something extra-terrestrial?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I've been curious enough to sniff the network traffic that the command-line SETI program uses to "phone home" and pick up work units. It is completely harmless. As others have also stated, malware detection tools give it a clean bill of health, too.
I leave it running on my home computers and workstations 24/7 and it doesn't even mess me up when I'm burning CDs or playing Unreal Tournament 2k3. They are Athlon XP machines (1.4GHz -3.2GHz) with 512+MB of RAM.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Thanks everyone. Does this SETI screensaver tell you if it's found Alien life or something?? How do I know if the information my computer has processed has found something extra-terrestrial?

As it stands, no - the client displays what it is currently "crunching" but doesn't report on what it "finds". Rest assured, though, that the signal once it is returned to the server is examined for anything significant (Gaussians, Triplets, Peaks and Pulses) - and, if so, will be entered on the "Significant" list for re-examination.

There are "add-ons" available from the SETI@home site, most of which have been discussed in these forums, such as SETI Spy etc. SETI Spy has an option to save the data you've "crunched" and I have mine configured to save if anything is "Interesting".

I hope that helps you somewhat SSA. Run the program once, see what you think.... There's nothing to lose, except for some electricity - and you *might* just be the one to find that elusive signal from ET...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
SetiSpy is run independently from SETI then, correct? I was told it was a replacement for the SETI program...just looking for clarification.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oswald
SetiSpy is run independently from SETI then, correct? I was told it was a replacement for the SETI program...just looking for clarification.

Seti Spy is an "add on" Oswald. You run SETI@home and unzip the Seti Spy progam into the same folder as SETI@home. Seti Spy is then able to "access" the .sah files, which contain all the data which you're crunching. It doesn't "replace", it simply "enhances".

Hope that helps?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yup, that clarifies it now...you would think after a few years of running you would know. LOL. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oswald
Yup, that clarifies it now...you would think after a few years of running you would know. LOL. Thanks!

AH!! Yes, it would be nice to think that, wouldn't it?!!
Here, I'm learning something everyday!!

While you're at it, check SETI Monitor too Oswald: as well as providing extended data on WU's, there is also a cache facility for WU's - comes in very handy when the server is down (again!!) at Berkeley!!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
can someone tell me what WU's are??????

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

can someone tell me what WU's are??????

Work Units

Information that is processed by your computer, once it hits 100%,it is finished, hence one WU(Work Unit)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join