It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain faces threat of dirty bomb attack at Christmas, Home Secretary warns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Britain faces threat of dirty bomb attack at Christmas, Home Secretary warns

www.dailymail.co.uk

Britain faces an increased threat of a "dirty bomb" attack over the Christmas period, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith warned today.

She said the security forces were taking "very seriously" the risk of a possible terrorist attack using radioactive or chemical agents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That's right, keep that fear mongering up.

One must never again allow the public to realize that they would be better off defending themselves than being "defended" by the bunch of arsehats that are "supposed" to have that job.

/sarcasm

That being said, I honestly do not BELIEVE this will happen, but, for the sake of my fellow ATS members from across the pond, I certainly HOPE it doesn't happen.

If it does, however, follow the trail to who stands to benefit the most from it.

J

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I have a feeling they are bombarding us with stories like this at the moment, because there is a potentially huge scandal involving donations to political parties (in particular the current labour government). It is looking like Gordon Brown may be questioned by the police over that, which would make him only the second PM to be questioned this way (The first was Tony Blair). There's also the lost discs with about 40% of the populations data on them scandal going on. So my feeling is they are trying to get some bigger stories out, and move the media onto some other stories. Unfortunately for them, I think dirty bomb is a poor choice for this, as the media here have roundly 'debunked' the exaggerated threat of dirty bombs in the past, so it's unlikely they will take the government too seriously on this. Another factor in this is that the Daily Mail is a fear-mongering rag, I'll be interested to see if the other papers consider this worth even a page 11 sidebar.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
yet more scare mongering, have a merry christmas oh and watch out for that dirty bomb, its pathetic as long as the military and security forces know what to do why spread this news to people maybe to make sure we dont forget in our festivities that the evil terrorists want us all dead so we must keep funding our government war crimes, life should be great but jeez our governments do their best to make it a sodden misery, why for the love of god why

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There was already a thread about this relating to an interview on Sky News.

It was a short thread with everybody coming to the conclusion that it was nothing but Labour being pathetic and trying to create fear to deflect the heat of there own backs.

These sort of stories aren't even worth being given a moments attention.

Come on how pathetic is it when people are looking forward to Christmas and there holidays and the Government start warning people about Dirty Bombs and terrorism.

Why even warn us?

Just let us live in our ignorance so we can enjoy our Turkey and well earned break from work without listening to your bull#### fear mongering.

BBC haven't given this story a minute on their news broadcasts. That tell it's own story In my opinion.

[edit on 2uSunday07/27/20 by paul76]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This is not scare mongering.
How many terrorist plots have been thwarted by the British Intelligence Agencies etc in recent years? Quite a few.
These security alerts are taken pretty serioulsy and tend to be un-nervingly accurate. If it wasn't for the effectiveness of these forces Britain would have been the victim of even more terrorist attacks.

However, I also do not discount the possibility that the government will use this intelligence for their own political purposes, especially considering the complete and total ineptitude Gordon Brown is displaying at the moment.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The Daily Mail sing-along xmas carol...all together now!

On the 1st day of xmas a jihadi promised me,
paradise or pur-ga-tor-ee

On the 2nd day of xmas a jihadi promised me,
two data disks,
and paradise or pur-ga-tor-ee

On the 3rd day of xmas a jihadi promised me,
three french vetoes,
two data disks,

On the 4th day of xmas a jihadi promised me,
four flu-sick birds
three french vetoes,
two data disks,

On the 5th day of xmas a jihadi promised me,
fiiiiiiiive dirty bombs
four flu-sick birds
three french vetoes,
two data disks,

[edit on 2-12-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Is it me, or do our politicians seem more scared of terrorism than everyone else?

Roy Jenkins, the Labour Home Secretary under Harold Wilson in the 1960s, gave what is (in my opinion, anyway) the best summary of the job:

"I see the simple purpose of the Home Office being that of striking a very difficult balance between the need to preserve the Queen's peace and the need to preserve the liberty of the individual."

Every Home Secretary should read those words, for that is their job description. They're not here to scaremonger or exaggerate but to keep us informed in a sensible, non-alarmist way. I don't think Jacqui Smith had achieved that in her statement.

But yeah, the Daily Mail... if you read that too often you'll start thinking that asylum seekers give your mortgage cancer. Good song, citizen smith - it'll make a nice change to the traditional version

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
asylum seekers give your mortgage cancer

It's true! I read it in Regina Bigot-Smythe's column in today's Mail on Sunday!

top topics

join