It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizzarre Cable Internet Problems.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I've had problems with my cable internet for months. I've had the Comcast technicians here 6 times. I've been refunded for three months of service.

This morning I called Comcast again. When I said that I thought the government is watching me, he just chuckled and said it's possible.

This morning, I can surf through ATS, but Google is not working, saying unable to find server...

While I was typing this post, my internet went down completely, even though my tv cable is working fine and my modem says I have a good signal.

Sometimes, my little display at the bottom says I have an internet connection, but I still won't be able to get a server.

OK, now it's back up. It was down for about 10 minutes.

Can anyone explain this to me? The techs at Comcast sure can't.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I should add that, I have wireless.

It used to be, when my internet went down, I could log on to my neighbors internet, and it would work. It was just a bit slower, but I could get internet.

Now they moved.

And sometimes I get a strange feedback noise through the t.v.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I saw a thread concerning Google issues yesterday,

I will see if I can find it and put the link here for you...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I don't know why they moved this thread to Computer Help. My computer is fine. It's only 6 months old. It has Vista, but that has worked pretty well.

I use Firefox as a browser.

To me, this is a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here is the link about the Google issues:

Search Google, Click to Massive Malware Attacks?

Maybe they are working this problem?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thanks. I've long suspected Google sold out to the government.

But Comcast is another issue. They say my IP address is fine, my cable readings are at nearly 100%.

When cable internet is working good, I get around 6-9 meg speed!

But they mess with it at night.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hi stompk

If you do a search (when your connection is working) you'll find
you're not the only Comcast customer with this problem.

Comcast internet sucks

Comcast Complaints

I hate Comcast

Sorry, I know thats no help.

Maybe this will help. Some posts indicate that the cable splitters used in homes are ok for tv, but aren't very good for cable internet. Something about using a bias T cable splitter instead of a regular cable splitter?

*Shrugs*

Maybe its just Comcast, (or maybe the gov really is trying to keep you off the I-net ) :LOL:

[edit on 12/1/07 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Has Comcast replaced all the hardware from your neighborhood box to your computer?

I had problems with my signal for months and the cable company replaced lines, boxes, everything and it turned out to be one little splitter in the basement causing all the problems.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Your router might be going bad.

If not every few days unplug the router, and wait for a minute or two before plugging it back in. I hate wireless connections, but when I had one, this is what I did and it seemed to work

*edit to add* unplug from the wall socket, I'm not sure if there are buffers in routers or not.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by LDragonFire]

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I've noticed Google has been intermittent. I suspect they are attempting to defeat the malware attacks.

If you have a direct connection to your modem, do this:

Open a DOS prompt: Start->Run-> "cmd"
Run "ipconfig"
Note the Default Gateway IP

or if you use a router, which I hope you are, connect to the router and locate the Default Gateway IP. If it's a Linksys it will be on the status screen as soon as you login.

Then in a DOS prompt run "ping -t [Default Gateway IP]" and wait.

It should look like this

When your Internet flakes out again, check to see what the ping is doing. If it is timing out, there's a problem between you and Comcrap. If it's still happily pinging away, it's something on their end.

Leaving the ping running instead of pinging whenever it dies will also tell you if something's happening without your notice. A lost packet here and there is acceptable, but repeated series of timeouts suggests a problem.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Open a DOS prompt: Start->Run-> "cmd"
Run "ipconfig"
Note the Default Gateway IP

or if you use a router, which I hope you are, connect to the router and locate the Default Gateway IP. If it's a Linksys it will be on the status screen as soon as you login.

You can use ipconfig -all to get the default ip address of your router.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I highly doubt it's the government. They have better ways of shutting you up than that, and I don't see why they would even care to shut you up.

I had Comcast Internet before. To sum it up: they suck. I had the same problems you're having. I switched, they went away. If it was the government doing it to me, surely it wouldn't matter that I switched.

Change your service.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Wow, just got back online and checked this thread. Great responses. I will try to see what's up.

Comcast has replaced the modem three times. The guy did a check on the signal, and said it's the best he's ever seen. Somewhere around 98-99%

I'm positive they are messing with me. Have been for some time.

The last Comcast guy that was here was really nice, and he gave me a website that checks the internet speed connection, and he said if certain parameter got low, there was a problem.

Well about a week after he gave me that site, it quit working. They took the site down! WTF.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

apc, have that up and running. Thanks!

It's pinging away.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stompk
I'm positive they are messing with me. Have been for some time.

I'm telling you man, all of this happened to me with Comcast. Every single thing you're saying happened to me. I switched - it went away.

No one is messing with you. It's Comcast. They suck.

The simplest answer is probably the correct one. In this case, it is.

Don't ask us for help if you're going to ignore all of our suggestions and just going to keep telling yourself the government is targeting you for no reason without any proof to back it up.

[edit on 12/2/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Howdy-

I run a small ISP- so I'm a bit familiar with how systems work for Comcast, AT&T, whoever...

Following the previous suggestions in this thread is an awesome start to figuring out your issue- however I'm inclined to believe that your area's Comcast service is having problems with their DNS service.

DNS (Domain Name Service) is the server that changes "www.whatever.com" to an IP address the computer can understand. Many DNS servers are attacked for various reasons and also are subject to heavy loads at times, and cable internet is notorious for bandwidth issues due to the cable infrastructure which limits the amount of possible data thru an amplified cable assembly which supports an entire neighborhood (you'll see these amps on the cable lines outside on the poles).

In my experience, cable companies are usually great at providing video, but generally lack the proper technical knowledge to support data services. Video feeds are simple- they only go one way, but internet data is full-duplex -meaning that data flows both ways- so there are multiple frequencies being used through the cable to provide that flow, and many many many amplifiers and junctions and splitters and whatnot in the path to your house, all working together to provide you with crappy data service.

Back to the DNS server- if you noticed with the ping command from the previous posts, it will tell you what the IP address is of any site you enter. Record the IP address of a few sites you frequent and keep them handy for the next time your service goes down. Once it is down, try 'pinging' the list of IP addresses you've kept. If you are getting a response with a ping but nothing will load on the browser, you can try entering the ip address into the address bar on your browser. If the page loads with the IP but not www.whatever.com, then their dns service is down and the reason you cannot connect.

However, if you are running a ping with the -t in it, and you start dropping requests when the service goes out, then there is a problem with the actual connection to their network and the tech should be called WHEN it is happening or write the time down so they can check their logs (which any decent ISP should have available)

Hope this helps- good luck!

top topics

join