It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you think it is possible to 'polish' your own teeth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
you know, get some of the plaque and that off..i ask this cause i just got a rotary tool set(dremel) anf there are a few wire brush attachments for it of varying stiffness.
i was thinking, if i took the softest one to my teeth, at least the ones i can reach, would i be able to polish em up

think it is possible?

serious about this too

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Hi there boondock, is that you by any chance?( in your avatar ) well this may sound kinda nuts but ive heard the aussie aboriginies used to chew charcol to whiten, brighten and shine thier teeth. sound yummy ha?. See ya nuts

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nuts!

thanks frank zappa in my avatar.....i mean when you go to the dentist, thats what they use right? a little polishing wheel...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Surely you are not serious. Are you?

The plaque is under your gum line. The person cleaning your teeth uses a small metal scraping tool. I do imagine you could polish your teeth with a rotary tool but you couldn't get under the gums with it.

I take that back. You might get under your gums but you would have torn gum tissue, intense pain and profuse bleeding.

A good tooth polish to use once a month is made of salt and baking powder with just a touch of hydrogen peroxide. An electric tooth brush works well but a regular tooth brush will do a good job too. It isn't good to use this mixture too often as it can damage the the tooth enamel.

Dizzie

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Surely you are not serious. Are you?

i am very much serious. my teeth are starting to yellow. don't have good dental insurance. i have a dental type credit card but my son needs braces so i have to save that for him.

i have a few small wire type polishing wheels that i could use in a rotary tool(dremel or drill)...

i mean, the dentist uses his little wheel.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I used one of those nail buffer things, the one made out of soft foam, not the metal one. Worked out quite well for me. I even sharpened the ends of my incisors -- regretted that, though. Now I tend to cut my lips easily because the incisors are sharper.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Have you thought about just using some tooth whitening products for the time being until someday when you can afford to have it professionally done? You wouldn't want to use something too abrasive and end up removing the enamel from your teeth.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
there are scrapers they sell in the drug stores, also little wire flossing brushes, you can use.

I recommend that use Listerine or Crest Pre Brush Whitening Rinses, followed by a full 2 minutes of brushing, then listerine or other mouthwash, to start removing and keeping more plaque from building up.

then you can use some of those whitening strips if you think you want whiter teeth. I personally don't like the look of overtly white teeth, looks very fake to me. Oh and if you're a coffee drinker, rinse after every cup.

don't use the dremel, you might end up damaging the enamel and then your teeth will become sensitive and you'll really need to go the dentist.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

don't use the dremel, you might end up damaging the enamel and then your teeth will become sensitive and you'll really need to go the dentist.

i really didn't think of that part.
thanks all

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
well, against some advice, i did it. i used the softer wire wheel and went to town. it worked....my teeth are pretty clean now.....

i don't know if i scraped enamel off or anything but, it looks better than it did before...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
well, against some advice, i did it. i used the softer wire wheel and went to town. it worked....my teeth are pretty clean now.....

i don't know if i scraped enamel off or anything but, it looks better than it did before...

You must post a DIY complete with pictures. The American Dental Association will now be out to hang you.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

gimmie a few and i will post up a pic or two of what i used.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
here they are....i tried the stiffer wheel but it was hurting my gums....thats this one

but i loaded this baby up and went to town.

wurd

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Now I have to ask; did you suffer much bleeding? How did you fit that wheel inside your mouth without rubbing against either your lips or gums??

Now all you need is some polishing paste and a buffing type wheel and they will be super-glossy.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

Now I have to ask; did you suffer much bleeding? How did you fit that wheel inside your mouth without rubbing against either your lips or gums??

Now all you need is some polishing paste and a buffing type wheel and they will be super-glossy.

i have sensative gums to the point where they bleed if i brush my teeth too hard. it was not a lot of blood but i had to do a couple rinses.

i only put the stem of the wheel in the drill a little bit. it was akward holding it and such but i managed. i didn't get the back ones of course...
i got 8 on top and 6 on bottom.

i have buffers too that i was thinking about using.....i didn't even think about trying the paste....maybe i will put some toothpaste on and try it again for some grit, then buff it out.

i'm telling you though mang, it worked

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Boon' you remind me of my Dad and big brother. Men! Can't live with them - pass the fondue-fork. I like you no matter what colour your teeth are. You put your kids first. Sexy.

I floss and brush and have never had a cavity but I will not let the dentist polish my teeth again ever. There is still one spot where he got my tooth too hot with ultra-sound vibrating cleaner thing and I can still get the odd weird sensation when I drink something hot or cold. It's my own vain-fault. The feeling that my teeth were "rough" on my tongue took a while to go away.

Now to whiten I use a cheap chemical pharmaceutical alternative called Hydrogen Peroxide 3% USP solution and swish, rinse and spit. I used to use designer toothpastes but they are expensive junk. Now I use straight baking soda on a good stiff toothbrush as a plaque remover and I floss a little less.

Please don't use the Craftsman drill anymore. OK? There's too much torque - one slip and off to the hospital; which might cost less? I got dad to promise me not to use Duct tape as bandages for stomach-screwdriver wounds... promise me Boon'? Please? I "hurt" just looking at those pics.

Mira

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You made my sides, and face hurt brother Boone.

Gawd'll getch for that.

This guy might have you beat, though:

I also read about, but couldn't find a link to a guy who fashioned 32 individual teeth out of white driveway crushed granite, exact copies of his own teeth - pulled his own remaining teeth - implanted each tooth in his gum (not a set of falsies like this guy), carefully choosing every stone, polishing with a dremel, yada, yada.

Showed him grinning like a fool.

Priceless; like you, my friend.

(rushes out to buy dremel).

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mira_of_lurk0more
You put your kids first.

have to.
the braces are like 4 grand. i have a grand on my dental card that i can put down on them. then, his mother is gonna make the payments till she hits a grand and then we are going to split the payments....

just how it has to be.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

times like these i am gratefull
we have the NHS in the uk

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

times like these i am gratefull
we have the NHS in the uk

sometimes i wish...i mean, don't get me wrong...my teeth were not yellow like the smilies on here but they were stained...
just costs too much money to go to the dentist for a simple cleaning....
i have to pop a grand down for my sons braces and our dental blows.....my wife has a couple cavaties and needs a couple wisdom teeth removed. our dental only covers so much per year. so, we are waiting till january and she will go get her work done and that will more than likely eat up our insurance coverage for the year....

i have to get them in and it's just not in the cards for me.....my wife freaked though when i showed her cause it made a big difference.

i did it twice cause after i read about the peroxide i did it with perocide rinses in between.

it didn't hurt or anything like that but of course i don't know if i took enamel(sp) off....

oh well.
i'm 30 now so i figure once i hit 50, if i need to get dentures or caps or something, fine.....F it you know...

i have too much back pain and head problems to worry about dental problems...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join