It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texan 'hero' shoots and kills burglars

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

I'm sharing the same laugh, too.

You think terrorists are the only ones who are muslims? Haha.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Definitely. Taking a life is a big deal and shouldn't be treated lightly or even with admiration. Things could have gone down differently, but once again... We weren't there. I could only imagine how hectic the situation was. I've been in fist fights where the unimaginable has happened. I don't know what could happen in a daylight burglary involving guns.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Right, like the law that says the man was justified in shooting the thieves?

You cant pick and choose here, you just ended your own argument. why?
"because thats the law and one you have to abide by."

[edit on 1-12-2007 by cavscout]

I havent read any law that justifies the act.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here is the actual Audio of the 9-1-1 call.

That should help.

Did he say "move your dead", or "boom your dead"?
Thats where most written transcripts seem to vary.

His statement seems to be that he told them if they move he'll shoot, and they lunged toward him on his property.

The Grand Jury has been summoned to look into the matter.

[edit on 12/1/07 by makeitso]

link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Youre completely wrong..

Do you have a "likeliness of getting beaten and pissed on by a chav for fun" chart?

link   

Step away from the Michael Moore movies and live life.

Texas is a safe place compared to almost anywhere in the world. I have never been "sh*t scared" in the US, but I would think twice about going to your crazy country. People are civilized and a little better educated in Texas.

I hate to break it to you but Ive seen many posts from many Americans describe Texans as more than a little backwards.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

"People are civilized and a little better educated in Texas."

LOL

OK. I gotta stop it here. You got the numbers for this?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Thank you for telling me what I think.

I'd be lost without you.

Either your assumptions are ridiculous, or you're trolling. Which one is it?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Do you have a "likeliness of getting beaten and pissed on by a chav for fun" chart?

Are you really trying to bring up a single incident of moronic behaviour and somehow try to tell me everyone is at risk of it?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
And this one

en.wikipedia.org...

Crime rates vary greatly across the states. Crime statistics for 2004 seem to dispel the notion that crime is lower in rural states than in urban states, as many of both America's most urbanized and populous as well as rural and scarcely populated states fell well below the national average, while some rural southern states ranked significantly above the national average. Overall, New England had by far the lowest crime rates, for both violent and property crimes. New England states also had the lowest homicide rates in the country.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

When you take out a firearm, you had better be prepared to shoot to kill. When you only wound somebody, they can turn around and kill you. They can also come back and sue you years later. I would have no problem detaining burglars at gunpoint and if they made a wrong move, then blast them. Hooray for neighbors who look out for each other!!! I can understand wanting to kill burglars. Courts are waaay too soft on actual criminals and waaaay too hard on pot smokers.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz
Maybe if Texans sold their guns n ammo and invested the money in programmes for the community they wouldn't be living in a state of fear. They wouldn't feel threatened. Maybe Texas could instigate a process of peace that spreads to the rest of the world.

As a native Texan, I have to say you are mistaken. There are people who just are not going to change their ways.

I definitely don't live in a state of fear.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by TheoOne

Thank you for telling me what I think.

I'd be lost without you.

Either your assumptions are ridiculous, or you're trolling. Which one is it?

No problem, glad you're not.

Trolling? Ridiculous assumptions?

Pfft.

Go ahead, call me crazy, but it is what it is. Sorry I don't feel like providing you an in-depth further explanation if you want it.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

"People are civilized and a little better educated in Texas."

LOL

OK. I gotta stop it here. You got the numbers for this?

I have, the average IQ for Texans is 92 which means they are way below average and 40th out of 50 in this list.

www.mindfully.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

What about pot smokers who commit actual crimes?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
note: I have lived in Texas my entire life (27 years) so unlike many of you I know a thing or two about the people, place and law (note I'm the one who posted the penal code bit while everyone else was busy passing judgment).

The crux of this issue to me is this : are we suppose to rely on the cops for everything ? What if he shot and missed then the robbers killed him ? Or what if the robbers realized he saw them and decided they didn't want any witnesses and killed him. What would you have to say then ? I for one don't think people should be forced to sit idly by while watching their neighbors house be robbed HOWEVER I PERSONALLY would not have shot at these guys (and shocker - I don't own a gun or believe in the death penalty).

Originally posted by a3Dme
In this 1/2 mile to nearest neighbor Texas community most leave their doors unlocked. After living in Colorado Springs for years I didn't notice it until now, how comfortable I am not having to worry about burglars and street corner dealers.

This is exactly correct. My folks didn't start locking their doors until recently and I still don't understand why. For the majority of my life our front / back door was never locked (even at night) and guess what - NO ONE EVER TRIED TO BREAK IN. My mom use to always leave her purse/keys in the unlocked car and guess what - NO ONE EVER STOLE IT. Guess what folks, this isn't because we don't have criminals - it's because the criminals know that we will blast your ass. Welcome to Texas (go learn a thing or two).

People should remember that Texas is one of those states where the goverment actively refuses to protect our borders so Texans have taken matters into their own hands (and yes, I know these guys weren't illegal immigrants).

Well done Texas, U.S.A.
Such inhumane, disgusting and immoral behaviour.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Even the good old God-fearing Texans would rather murder than forgive.
What a sad state of affairs.

Wow such strong words from all the way over in the UK. Have you ever been to Texas ? Do you know anyone from Texas ?

Sorry mate we don't live in a nanny state like you do. Do yall have citizens arrest laws over there ? We do here. Like our gun laws the idea is we are free to defend ourselves and others w/o having to rely on big brother to hold our hand.

Traffic cams are a fairly new thing here and we hate the # out of them. But good ol' nanny state UK has something like 4.2 MILLION CCTV cams - one camera for every 14 people [1, 2]

One of my jobs use to include answering calls from people across the United States. You wouldn't believe how many people think we're all just a bunch of red necks who wear cowboy hats and ride horses to school. I can only assume that people like this watch far too much television.

I don't believe everyone in the UK has bad teeth or that everyone in NY talks like I see on tv. So perhaps you shouldn't assume we're all heartless gun slinging murderers.

He will probably get off because of the redneck culture there but hes a danger to everyone in his neighbourhood.

Nice try. Have you read anything about how this 61 year old man has done this before or has ANY history of gun violence ? I haven't.

Exactly why this man should be put away for murder and these people should have been in prison, not dead,

Assuming they were ever able to catch the criminals...

You should have read the thread because it was not his house. He was on the phone to the police at the time and they told him not to do it.

You're right - not his house but his neighbor asked him to watch his house. He was on the phone to 9/11 (despite popular belief 9/11 is not answered by "police" but the person is in the police department). And it should be noted that the 9/11 guy told him not to do it because he thought the caller would be shot not because it would have been against the law

^ Inflammatory, just for fun. Feel free to call me a racist murdering heartless beast as I'm sure many will. The fact that you know nothing about me or most Texans is inconsequential. Facts have become largely irrelevant.

This if for those of you who skipped most of my post : I am in Texas. I don't own a gun. I don't believe in the death penalty. If I were in this guys shoes I WOULD NOT have shot these guys.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by discomfit]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you but Ive seen many posts from many Americans describe Texans as more than a little backwards.

Yeah, well America is a big place, with many people. I am sure it wouldn’t be that hard to have visited every area of the UK and speak with some authority on those areas, so I can see how someone from a tiny little island would think that way.

Fact is, Texas is thousands of miles away from most Americans and most Americans have never been there. 300+million Americans and few of them have lived in Texas. There is a stereotype that it some sort of John Wayne movie, or maybe just a little like the move Deliverance (which took place a thousand miles from Texas.) Fact is, they talk a little funny, and people hear "hick" in a Texans voice.

If you can past someone’s regional accent and learn a little about their culture you would find that Texas is a safe and pleasant place to be.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

If you can past someone’s regional accent and learn a little about their culture you would find that Texas is a safe and pleasant place to be.

A lot of the people might be friendly and pleasant but it is not safe. I have proved that. Its 7th in the state league for crime.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Exactly what we needed! This should clear a few things up for all parties.

There's a few things. 8 minute reaction time on a broad daylight robbery. Are you kidding me?! If the police would have been there 2 minutes earlier, we probably wouldn't even know this happened. And there was some discussion between him and the burglars, but I can't quite make out what he's saying. He seems rattled before he shoots and something about "don't move, or you're dead."

"They came in the front yard with me, man!"
"I didn't know what he was going to do!"

Definitely gung ho, hero mentality, but there are too many unseen variables to cast judgement one way or another. I'd like to see the police report to see if the burglar postured towards him or made for his waist band or anything.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

reply to post by cavscout

The UK is no different to the USA my friend. I was responding to the OP of an incident occuring in the USA though.

Trust me. I know how bad this place is!

From what I understand, when it comes to the issue of guns, the USA is VERY different from the UK. This might be due to the fact that guns are outlawed in the UK and readily available in America. I mean, I know this and I don't even live in the UK.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join