It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texan 'hero' shoots and kills burglars

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
After been following this thread very closely and already stated my opinion, I still have a few things to say.

I can't wait to see what the actions of the local DA is going to be, the implications of this case is going to be huge IMO, and it would not surprise me to see this case go all the way up to the highest court that it could reach.

The only thing that is clear to me right now is that 2 scumbags won't be able to do any of that stuff again, now if its proven that the shooter broke the law, then he should pay too. To me that's the bottom line.

You do the crime, you do the time...........but beware criminals if you in Texas it might cost you your life.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Addendum: my sensei, who is also my shooting instructor and a former resident of Texas, says that the Castle Law does allow for the defence of property, so Joe Horn might have room to wiggle, but I still think the record of his intention may be a problem.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles

this may be an urban myth but, didnt VIOLENT crime in austrailia go UP after they outlawed guns?

Well sounds like it is a myth to me,having lived here mostly in suburbia for some 40 odd years.

Now from experience of 40 odd years of living here,I can say without a doubt guns were pretty much unheard of generally ( though many had them)before the massacre which lead to more stringent laws of ownership and safe keeping of them.

As to any noticeable rise in violence,well you gotta understand that when I was younger giving someone a crooked nose because they damn well deserved it was quite the norm,though probably others would disagree,how I grew up was (might sound corny) giving people a fair go and sticking up for the battlers the renowned Aussie way,and often someone got a thick ear in the process.

So comparing say 20-30 years ago to today,it has changed some what,now there are hard drugs screwing with peoples lives,especially to the younger generation now,causing crime rates to rise,be they violent or not.Though has definitely risen but not from the gun take back.

One thing though we do not have to deal with are these people rampantly running around with guns and I`m thankful for that.

So my thoughts have often gone out to those like you guys in the states that have to live with it.

like i said in another post, when everyone loves each other and the govt's of the world are run by decent honorable men and when food is readily available to all regardless of wealth so that i dont have to worry about hunting...THEN, MAYBE ill give up my gun.

til then, no, sorry.

I hear ya.

Until then,there will always be mis use and over reactions of people with guns.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by gps777]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
you can't shoot everyone who's out there stealing. if that was allowed we would have daily shootings at walmarts, because these guys steal stuff everyday.

No more comments.

You absolutly can and should, its the only deterent that will make someone think twice before they steal something that isnt their property. When will this society start to consider the victims and people who are the recipients of your so called dumb scum bags thievery. And dont lump in school kids stealing a match box car in with these two grown adults who tried to rape someone of thier personal property. The HERO who took it upon himself to protect his neighbors house should be given the keys to the city period. Maybe now crooks will think twice before going into this neighbor hood again.

JOB WELL DONE

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Pele Pele

Originally posted by Sentinel 1
reply to post by Mr. Pele Pele

You keep circling around the fact that he had no business killing people for robbing his neighbor's spot. And if he thought they killed his neighbors, why the HELL would he risk his life and go outside when he could have stayed inside? Damn, use common sense sometimes.

Man, I have to reply to this. I believe that this country was built on firearms and people willing to use them when needed. Why you would ask the question...Why the hell would he risk his life? I have an answer for that...He is a MAN...not some bleedin heart pink polo wearing worried about his hair gel and nails like some of you call men. There are things you stand up for and protect in life. Your friends and family. Obviously if these people are having him watch their home they are friends. So, if I for one moment believed that for 1 second these people harmed my friends (like you suggested above) I would have done the same thing. Would have been a lot messier though. I keep the shotgun loaded with rounds packed with piano wire. Going inside and hiding....WOW that is what is wrong with our society. People like you are the reason that they teach women to scream fire when they are being raped because too many people want to avoid confrontation.

Is the guy a hero? No but he is a man that stood his ground and did not let anyone intimidate him into just hiding in his home like a little girl. Use common sense??? I dont know what to say to that because common sense tells me that I would have to confront them...even more so if I thought they harmed my friends like you suggested above...That would have been an act of cowardice.

We are becoming a very weak society. So worried about everyones feelings and being politically correct. Fear is a virus and it is running rampant here in the states.

I am sooo glad that you stayed out of they military and I didnt have to serve on a fire team w/ you. I may not be here typing this today.

sorry for the rant

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Now that the fuss has died down a bit, listen. With all the ham hocks, pork chops, pork bellies, and pork rinds stealing OUR bacon on OUR property at the pleasure of BOSS HOG, why do you think that a story of two imps possibly deserving it makes it to the paper? We all have opinions about the matter of the OP and predictably we're divided. That's the only reason. Our sights have been set on each other. One can think that they are protecting their property, be my guest, but what really is happening is that one is protecting the factory that was designed and built by Boss Hog. Why is that? Frankly -- wasting two imps over a small bag of goods ain't nothing but a pacifier disguised as a rectifier. What good is wasting a couple of turkeys when it's the pigs that have been getting fat for years and years from feeding from your troth? A different system for dealing with the pigs, you say? Well, just what are your "standards" anyway? A thief is a thief, right? Yeah, it's much easier to shoot turkeys, right? Well -- since when have pigs been able to fly? And by the way, those branded "To Protect and To Serve"? Those are pig's feet, not pigs. *Sniff* *Sniff* I smell something burning and it ain't pork. Who likes frog's legs?

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaferwerks
Man, I have to reply to this. I believe that this country was built on firearms and people willing to use them when needed. Why you would ask the question...Why the hell would he risk his life? I have an answer for that...He is a MAN...not some bleedin heart pink polo wearing worried about his hair gel and nails like some of you call men. There are things you stand up for and protect in life. Your friends and family. Obviously if these people are having him watch their home they are friends. So, if I for one moment believed that for 1 second these people harmed my friends (like you suggested above) I would have done the same thing. Would have been a lot messier though. I keep the shotgun loaded with rounds packed with piano wire. Going inside and hiding....WOW that is what is wrong with our society. People like you are the reason that they teach women to scream fire when they are being raped because too many people want to avoid confrontation.

Is the guy a hero? No but he is a man that stood his ground and did not let anyone intimidate him into just hiding in his home like a little girl. Use common sense??? I dont know what to say to that because common sense tells me that I would have to confront them...even more so if I thought they harmed my friends like you suggested above...That would have been an act of cowardice.

We are becoming a very weak society. So worried about everyones feelings and being politically correct. Fear is a virus and it is running rampant here in the states.

I am sooo glad that you stayed out of they military and I didnt have to serve on a fire team w/ you. I may not be here typing this today.

sorry for the rant

Blah blah blah.

We're not all vigilante, wannabe Lorenzo Lamas renegades or something. There's a reason people who attack someone accused of killing their relatives are arrested on the spot. The law punishes, not citizens. This isn't the Wild West, homeboy.

By your logic, you could shoot someone who's giving their child an ass whooping. If it looks like they're beating the kid too much, shoot em with, what was that, shotgun shells loaded with piano wire. HYUCK! LOL.

It's a good thing most people don't act like this fool. If they did, they're be running around like animals with shotties, killing people they thought was "out of line."

And you were in the military? I'm GLAD I don't live in your neighborhood. You sound like a dangerous loose cannon; I've never heard of loading shotgun shells with piano wire. Sounds pretty sadistic, and that's sad, homeboy.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I believe that this country was built on firearms and people willing to use them when needed.

That comment alone is scary.

Are you seriously going to say that it was tools of death that build your country, rather than a strong people and indomitable will?

Guns don't have will, people do.
Guns do neither good, nor evil, but those who use them do.

Guns didn't build the US.
People did.
And it's people who have allowed it to go astray... partly by fighting for their guns rather than their liberty.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Blah blah blah.

We're not all vigilante, wannabe Lorenzo Lamas renegades or something. There's a reason people who attack someone accused of killing their relatives are arrested on the spot. The law punishes, not citizens. This isn't the Wild West, homeboy.
it isnt the wild west you're right..Lorenzo Lamas...that's funny!!! You are right about the police being there to help but there are times when you have to be a responsible citizen and help your neighbor. If you act within the bounds of the law (like he did) then no one should be able to say anything about it. These were laws created by man for man

By your logic, you could shoot someone who's giving their child an ass whooping. If it looks like they're beating the kid too much, shoot em with, what was that, shotgun shells loaded with piano wire. HYUCK! LOL.

See here you are going off on the deep end. If they are BEATING the child not spanking him (by beating lets say it is with a closed fist or a very solid object) I say it is your civic duty to intervene. We are hear as adults to raise and nurture our children and teach them right from wrong...Completely diffent situation so your logic does not apply here. As far as the piano wire...it is a very safe way to defend your home. Shoot a intruder with it and it will cut him to ribbons but has a hard time going thru plaster and walls. Your family in the next room is safe. Plus if you ever needed to trim your bushes in a hurry...lol

It's a good thing most people don't act like this fool. If they did, they're be running around like animals with shotties, killing people they thought was "out of line."

And you were in the military? I'm GLAD I don't live in your neighborhood. You sound like a dangerous loose cannon; .

I think you would enjoy living in my neighborhood. I would still help you if you ever needed it...Dangerous, could be...loose cannon...never. But I have to courage to stand up and defend what is mine and help my neighbor when needed. If I have to put my self in harms way to do so then so be it. It isn't some macho male bravado but rather that I was raised to fight for what I believe in and help those that need help.

you wrote:
I've never heard of loading shotgun shells with piano wire. Sounds pretty sadistic, and that's sad, homeboy

That doesnt suprise me....HOMEBOY it is an old trick used to clear foilage and vegetation in the jungle in a hurry...but it also will not go very far. It is a safety factor for your home. And what is sad is that I would ever have to use it on someone that decided that the things in my house is worth his life. And yes the things in my house are worth killing someone over! because with those things are my 3 children and my wife and I have no problems with saying this. I can sleep at night knowing that I am capable of what you would call murder...and I would call protecting my family. (I know this will be taken out of context)

Our country may not be perfect. Crime may be rampant and laws may need to be reviewed BUT the beauty of it all is that in this country we have the right to speak our mind about it. We have to power to change things as the people. I will take it over any other place I have been in the world.
A lot of people have never been outside of their "comfort zone" and think the world is a nice place to live and that people capable of doing things like this are off of their rocker. That maybe so but there are a lot of us thatwould disagree

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Turns out these two weren't even supposed to be in the country:

The two — killed by a Pasadena man Nov. 14 after he said they were trying to steal his neighbor's property — were in the country illegally, according to Leticia Zamarripa, a spokeswoman for the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Source

This whole thing could have been avoided. They would still be alive and well today if: a)they weren't criminals b)they weren't in this country

Maybe it's the city's fault they were killed for not enforcing immigration law and being a "sanctuary city?" I say sue the city for negligent homicide.

If this guy didn't shoot them they would have either been responsible for somebody else's death or gotten themselves killed doing something stupid in the not-too-distant future.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If it went down the way stated in the OP, then he is a first degree murderer, period. Its not your right to kill someone breaking the law, and its not your right to take the law into your own hands. He stated he was going to kill someone for a non-death penalty offence to the police. He is not a judge and jury, and that is nothing short of premeditation. If your life is not in danger, you do not have the right to play "judge dread" and take the law into your own hands. What he should have done was call 911, let the police handle the situation, and kept his nose out of it. Now he is going to do the time for murder, and rightly so.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
WOW!!!!! Look what just surfaced…

www.freerepublic.com...

hotair.com...

www.chron.com...

"Miguel Dejesus and Diego Ortiz were both from Colombia. Dejesus spent six years in a Texas prison for drug dealing, then was deported. Obviously, he came back illegally. Ortiz was arrested by Houston police on a drug charge. We don't know much more about him, because Houston is a "Sanctuary City" and does not cooperate with Homeland Security or with the press in matters involving criminal aliens."

Absolute SCUM. Nice shooting Joe Horn, I wish you were my neighbor.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigJoeNYC
"Miguel Dejesus and Diego Ortiz were both from Colombia. Dejesus spent six years in a Texas prison for drug dealing, then was deported. Obviously, he came back illegally. Ortiz was arrested by Houston police on a drug charge. We don't know much more about him, because Houston is a "Sanctuary City" and does not cooperate with Homeland Security or with the press in matters involving criminal aliens."

And there is no way that the shooter knew that information when he pulled the trigger. Even the police are not allowed to kill someone for theft, but I guess he is better then the police are. Another case of some redneck who’s belt buckle is bigger then his brain is. He deserves the death sentience and nothing less. If it had been a police officer that had done the shooting you all would be screaming about police brutality.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

If you act within the bounds of the law (like he did) then no one should be able to say anything about it. These were laws created by man for man

This fool didn't act within the boundaries of the law. What he did was commit murder one. It was premeditated; this is CLEAR from the tape, homeboy. He said "I'm going to shoot" at least 5 five times, despite being told NOT to repeatedly. He was told that the cops were on the way.

Like I said, he saw a free chance to grease 2 people and police be damned, he was bustin.

As far as the piano wire...it is a very safe way to defend your home. Shoot a intruder with it and it will cut him to ribbons but has a hard time going thru plaster and walls. Your family in the next room is safe. Plus if you ever needed to trim your bushes in a hurry...lol

Notice the degree of difference, homeboy. You simply stop someone from physically abusing a child, without killing them, yet you kill someone over someone else's property. Now who sounds off the deep end, homeboy?

When a defenseless child is abused, just intervene, but when material things are stolen, kill them bastards. But then again, many like you value a dog more than a human life, so I shouldn't be surprised that property is more valuable than a child human life.

Now the piano wire...now that makes sense.

I think you would enjoy living in my neighborhood. I would still help you if you ever needed it...Dangerous, could be...loose cannon...never.

That's all good, playa, but I wouldn't want you to kill someone jacking my spot. I could murk em just fine myself, lol.

And why you worried about context? I said nothing's wrong with murking someone jacking YOUR spot. 2 COMPLETELY different circumstances, and you know it homeboy.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
not me buddy I"m all for killing the bad guys> As for the Police I fully support them. Not a lib like you buddy.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigJoeNYC
not me buddy I"m all for killing the bad guys> As for the Police I fully support them. Not a lib like you buddy.

How do you know that you are shooting a bad guy and not someone that had permission to enter the structure late at night and remove something? I work odd hours and often have to remove computer equipment that is stored in a friend’s garage late at night. I guess I am lucky this guy does not live next door to my friend.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Defcon...they had a crowbar and a sack of the peoples possessions. If you took a video of them an showed it to a 2nd grader they would even say it was a robber. On top of all of this Joe Horn watched them BREAK into the house. Thank go you not my neighbor, you would went to help them.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BigJoeNYC

No you help within the bounds of what the law states you are allowed to help them. The Law does not say that its ok to disregard the instructions of a law enforcement officer on the 911 line, go get involved in non-life threatening situation, and escalate it.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Joe Horn didn’t escalate it he finished it and rightfully so.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

If you act within the bounds of the law (like he did) then no one should be able to say anything about it. These were laws created by man for man

[
Notice the degree of difference, homeboy. You simply stop someone from physically abusing a child, without killing them, yet you kill someone over someone else's property. Now who sounds off the deep end, homeboy?

When a defenseless child is abused, just intervene, but when material things are stolen, kill them bastards. But then again, many like you value a dog more than a human life, so I shouldn't be surprised that property is more valuable than a child human life.

Now the piano wire...now that makes sense.

I think you would enjoy living in my neighborhood. I would still help you if you ever needed it...Dangerous, could be...loose cannon...never.

That's all good, playa, but I wouldn't want you to kill someone jacking my spot. I could murk em just fine myself, lol.

And why you worried about context? I said nothing's wrong with murking someone jacking YOUR spot. 2 COMPLETELY different circumstances, and you know it homeboy.

Not really worried about the context. There are very intelligent poeple here that have a way of manipulating your words...PLAYA (whats is it with the playa and homeboy anyway?)

I can agree to disagree about this. The issue here gets skewed. Did the man do the right thing? Until you yourself walk in his shoes and know the state of mind the man was in you cannot judge him. He may have repeated that he was going to shoot them. But he may have been scared as hell and talking to himself. Rainman has a way of appearing in all of when when under duress. You know, you may suddenly be able to see how many toothpicks were dropped on the floor or remember that your dad let you drive slow in the driveway...The point is...Most human beings do not realise what they are capable of until they themselves are in that situation.

The thing with a child...These grown men were not children and I have a belief that if they had there asses beat when they were kids or had a father they probally wouldnt be stealing...only my opinion....not a phychologist. Intervene with someone BEATING a child.

That's all good, playa, but I wouldn't want you to kill someone jacking my spot. I could murk em just fine myself, lol....

Not if you werent home...what if you were gone but the wife and kids were home and without knowing their condition (lets say they are all fine) but confronts the bad guys and they get shot and die...now consider this...he sees them leaving but your family has been beaten raped whatever and he just calls the cops and tells them there was a burglary...they die and you are pissed because he could have stopped them and they are never caught. Or he could just go back inside like was suggested above (by you I believe) why put himself in danger? I have zero sympathy for them...

Do you think that anyone will try to rob that neighborhood anytime soon?

Come on now...people like me value the life of a dog more than a child?...wow talk about a thinly disguised racial slur there "PLAYA"...that is the most moronic and uneducated thing I have read during this whole post
there "HOMEBOY"

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join