It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New fraud fear over tax data sent in post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

New fraud fear over tax data sent in post

www.telegraph.co.uk

Details of 9m people's investments worth a total of £60bn are being sent insecurely through the post, despite recent data scandals, because HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) requires these discs to be unencrypted, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

Now the trade body representing individual savings account (Isa) and personal equity plan (Pep) managers has written to HMRC, calling for tighter security as a matter of urgency.

A senior City figure who passed a copy of the letter to this newspaper said: "They just don't seem to get it - even after the scandal about 25m Child Benefit recipients' data being lost - just how dangerous this material could be if it fell into the hands of ID fraudsters."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
And I bet they still want us to have RFID chips and ID cards.

This argument was highlighted recently in the post about the 25 million personal details lost on two CD's sent in a similar fashion.

As this new reports states. "when are they going to wake up?" I can assure you I have and do all I can not to allow my personal data be a part of the system.

Store cards are the worst, and according to another news report on an elderly couple who took 'too long to shop' in a Tescos supermarket, their cars registration was used to trace them and send them a warning letter. Tescos should not have access to the UK driver details data base. So why and how have they got it?
Here's a link to that report.
www.mailonsunday.co.uk...

Mr Hodgson said the only warning about the time limit was on a small sign on the way into the car park.

"It's the Big Brother feeling you get about the place that's really worrying. Why should a company have DVLA access to my number-plate for commercial purposes?

And to top it all, UK police are having to get their hands dirty, for a change..

Police have visited London rubbish tips in their hunt for missing computer discs containing personal details of 25 million people.

The two Child Benefit discs containing names, dates of birth, bank and address details went missing on 18 October.

They were lost when a junior official sent them by courier from Tyne and Wear to the National Audit Office in London.

It is believed police fear the discs may have accidentally been thrown out as rubbish.

Police have visited several tips around London to check what waste was delivered there.

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

join