It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just who is providing our media anyway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Hi all,

I have been reading a multitude of different news sources for a while now on the basis that the truth lies somewhere in the grey area of them all...

So i did a little digging on some of these news sites and here is what i have found...

www.presstv.ir...

Press TV takes revolutionary steps as the first Iranian international news network, broadcasting in English on a round-the-clock basis.

Our global Tehran-based headquarters is staffed with outstanding Iranian and foreign media professionals.

Press TV is extensively networked with bureaus located in the world's most strategic cities.

So.... PressTV are supposedly an Iranian news source...

WWW.PressTV.IR = 217.218.67.243

everything seems normal using a domain name whois..

IP Address: 217.218.67.246
IP Location Iran, Islamic Republic Of - Tehran - Tehran - English News

When you do an IP WhoIS lookup on this you get the following...

OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
OrgID: RIPE
Address: P.O. Box 10096
City: Amsterdam
StateProv:
PostalCode: 1001EB

ReferralServer: whois://whois.ripe.net:43

NetRange: 217.0.0.0 - 217.255.255.255
CIDR: 217.0.0.0/8
NetName: 217-RIPE
NetHandle: NET-217-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to RIPE NCC
NameServer: NS-PRI.RIPE.NET
NameServer: NS3.NIC.FR
NameServer: SUNIC.SUNET.SE
NameServer: NS-EXT.ISC.ORG
NameServer: SEC1.APNIC.NET
NameServer: SEC3.APNIC.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in
Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in
Comment: the RIPE database at www.ripe.net...
RegDate: 2000-06-05
Updated: 2005-07-27

In summary

domain name says its all fine points to right locations as you would expect from said domain name...

funny thing is when you look at the info provided it says the IP is based out of the same location...

But when you do an actual IP lookup you get a different location altogether.. Namely Amsterdam... I thought this was pretty weird...

Did another one on aljazeera's website and it is hosted in the US... so if censorship etc is so bad there then why are they hosting one of the more anti-US websites out of there?

So many questions...

Cheers, hope you guys can find some more or elaborate?

Blurry

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I dont think the Internet censorship is very bad. People are free to put up websites about almost anything, including negative opinions about the US or any other country. Thats whats so great about the Internet these days.

You dont need to own a TV station to get a message out to the world thanks to the Internet. Al Jazeera and Press TV are just news networks, and I find them to be very interesting because it gives the "other side" to the western news agencies.

Where the servers are located is not important at all. Its a good choice to host them somewhere where there is a lot of bandwidth available, so that probably means the west.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ala abovetopsecret.....

I was about to give a speel about not trusting a website that has an agenda and how its country could slant said websites views in any which way they want.

But i guess that is the heart of media isn't it. And as with all media there really is no way of knowing whether it is truth or rumour.

Tis a sad world we live in - when the masses blindly believe news with such strength as to give the ancient catholics belief in god a run for its money.

I wonder if there will ever be a way to beat them?

Peace

Blurry.

edit: yes i too did see the logistical reasons for having a webserver hosted somewhere... was just a probe into the why

[edit on 1-12-2007 by blurryone]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by blurryone

Yeah. We think CNN is more trustworthy than Al Jazeera, but thats because we have been programmed to think they are. We werent born that way.

So yeah, looking at how lots of different news stations gives their angle on the news is a good way to try and find out what really happened. They all have a agenda of course. I dont believe in true objectivity, not when humans are involved in creating the texts, and the stations are owned by individuals with a certain political view of the world.

I do get worried though when Fox News is the largest TV channel in the US, and its very obviously broadcasting a message of fear and hate against other countries, truthers, aliens or whatever else that is not politically correct. I would prefer if they were broadcasting a slightly more balanced view of the world, considering that they are reaching such a large mass of voters in the US.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
And you never get to know the full story unless it comes from the horses mouth.

So with a bit of luck, sites like ATS and its members, do try to provide a balanced mix of the reports so that we can make our own decisions and judgements and hopefully form an overall opinion for reasonable debate.

And maybe we will get to the truth of things.

I'm glad that there is a collective of opinions, otherwise we'd all have 'one track thinking' like they want us to have.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Well think about this only six corporations own most all of the major news outlets in the US.

Some of these major corporations also own companies making big money off of the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, so basically the people who own the stations giving us all our so called facts, that we all are basing our opinions on about the war are also making money off of the war.

So while they promote the war they also make more money from the war.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Indeed.

I wonder how long it will take till the average Joe realizes that it is all a front to keep their attention off the big topics

Almost the same as the ad's on tv during election time.. (australia) We've just had one and and i tell you what i have never seen so much faith behind 'the big 2' every second ad was for one or the other.. flaming rubbish. When are people finally going to realize that it doesn't matter who is in power. sure they claim to be better for the economy, better for the people, will lower taxes, better for the environment etc.. if that where true then we wouldn't have the problems we have now??? if every democratic countries big 2, as a whole delivered what they promised - we would be living in a utopia by now.

Some drastic change is on the horizon people. I can almost taste it.

edit - my uber spelling

[edit on 1-12-2007 by blurryone]

top topics

join