It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we becoming gods?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I am really tired and by no means have advanced knowledge in the matter that I am going to be talking about, but I just kinda got to thinking.

With science allowing us to be able to use stem cells and turn them into other things that our body needs. It kinda makes me wonder if this is how we got to be the way we are now. Maybe everything wasn't perfect before, but then "God" changed the way our bodies work by changing our DNA and fixing a mishap.

This is just reaching out and grabbing an example, but maybe like an apple or banana never had an outer shell or skin to protect the fruit inside, but "God" alternated its DNA to have the skin on the outside. We are able to make watermelons seedless by taking that part of their DNA out, so why couldn't we add or change things that would lead to what we are today.

I do not really believe in a magical god that can just speak and create whatever he wants, but I do believe in a grand creator. This is just my way to put some logic behind the idea. We are just at the beginning in knowing what we can do with DNA, maybe someday we can make us more perfect then we already are.

Then maybe this information was lost over time and we are just now rediscovering it. I don't really have anyone to talk about this kind of stuff in my life, so I figured I would come here and see what you guys think. Be gentle if you think its stupid.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Winchester

We are all "gods", so to speak.

Some just seem more "godly" than others.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Even from a Christian standpoint, if the human race is going in the right direction, it should be striving to be more Godlike...although it is important to remember that, counter-intuitively, one of the traits of being like this is great humility:

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!"

Philippians 2:5-8 (NIV)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
If it ever happens where Humans have the technology to prolong their natural deaths indefinitely through any method, they would use it and be Immortal in one sense, yet killable by the force of arms with inflicting a wound too grievous where the person dies before any regenerative procedure could take place.

Now think about Ancient Religions. In all of them, there are "Gods" that interact with each other, and are indeed Godly in their abilities and seem to have never-ending lifespans. That is, unless they are slain by another one of the "Gods". Is that not one of the most common schemes in the Pagan Religions where there are multiple Gods, particularly the ancient ones like Egyptian and Babylonian and so forth?

In this, there might be some truth. There could be Humans out there, somewhere, that are more advanced by thousands of years than we, who actually seeded the place, and over such a long time we forgot our origins, and through calamities and lack of support we couldn't maintain our technology. And so you may have a valid argument there, that maybe these "Space Humans" are advanced enough already to do the things you are saying that we Homosapiens are "becoming Gods" by just beginning to learn the basic levels of these things, like cloning and organ generation?

Or, a slightly more realistic idea would be that we came from Mars, the Highly Advanced, Godlike Human population there escaped in small numbers to Earth, which at the time probably looked alot different; surely Mars used to look like the Earth at some point billions of years ago? And then over time the origins and technology were both lost. I'd like to think that if this happened, they'd be from some place farrr away, and that we're a part of some distant chain of colonized planets under a benevolent ruler (God), and that his army will come and destroy the army of evil (like in the Bible), the army of evil being Humans on Earth which are trying to maintain their nationhood and sovereignty even after these superior-Humans landed on the planet and explained the truth, and that they were here to reintegrate us into the "galactic empire" if you will, lol.

In this scenario, if the superior-Humans from outer space can keep themselves alive for thousands and thousands of years, and they came to Earth to investigate what happened with their Colony making ship(s) which once came here, they'd interpret any world government that didn't step down immediately as a "rebel entity" and obliterate said country.

Gee this is sounding so Star Wars.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I'm thinking of creating a biological robot with super strong skin and bones etc. Yeah, i'm serious. Just like "memory metal" can pull itself together I was having a similar idea with altering (I don't understand the word manipulate?) genes.

I even thought about adding biologic life to metals through adding certain atoms, electrons, attributes etc.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The writing is on the wall, humans will in time, begin manipulating their own DNA, just imagine a species evolves over millions of years to a point where the they can manipulate the very geometry of creation and life itself. Who knows where this may lead us.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by squiz]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have heard that it was thought that we came from Mars. I just do not get how that information could of been completely forgotten. You would think that at least one person from each generation would of brought it up for the next generation to pass down.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
depending on what you believe in, it is said that we as a collective consciousness
create our own reality. Manipulating our surroundings and us is just natural and driven by our instinct. As humans we want to understand as much as we can and we strive for control. Even if that control is our own DNA and destiny. It is simply irresistible. The key is to be responsible and not divert to far into genetic engineering . It is important to keep the natural flow in mind. Nature has its own plans and to try to control that may result in undesired effects.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by 1freelectron]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
No we are not becoming Gods.

Shouldn't this be in the religion section?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I clicked on the Speculation board and this is where I came to. Thats all this is is a speculation.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
We can clone people and things.
Stem cells can do craxy stuff.
We will hit that point in the pyramid just to go down the slope on the otherside.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
most of us worship our selves! doesnt that mean we already think were god??

I would hate to be worshiped by people

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
For a different sort of take on this idea I'd recommend the short story "The Last Question", by Isaac Asimov.

You can find it here: The Last Question

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If you believe in the bible and you believe it is literally true then you must believe this.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

God has made man in his image. Who says we are done being created. Anyone with half a brain can see we are evolving intellectually and will one day probably be able to live forever and create life and maybe even a universe.

If you believe in the Bible you must believe we are becoming like god. In fact the enitre books is about man living like god and jesus.

The Bible as a whole is a guide for man to become gods and that includes using our minds and learning about the universe and how to manipulate it and maybe even how to create it one day.

And here is where god gave man complete control over the Earth.

DOMINION
1. Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty:
2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Xeven]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester
Are we becoming gods?

It is a question I pondered much in my youth. It can be said that yes we are becoming gods. In the bible Jesus tells his disciples that, "as I am so shall you become". And, as has been noted in a previous post, the bible does appear to be a sort of road map for one path of enlightenment....

It can also be said that through our technology we will become gods, as has already been stated.

We are on that path. The only question is what form this will take..... becoming gods may not be what everyone would like to think it is.

Technology can be used to empower us as individuals or enslave us. Currently it is being used to enslave us, to poison our bodies through pharmaceuticals, to poison our minds through propaganda, and eventually to control our thoughts through implants of nano-robotic-technology.

The path to enlightenment has also been corrupted by charlatans and gurus of ill repute.

We are on the road to godhood but more like a godhood of Borg; than of individually, empowered, perfected homo sapiens superior.

-Euclid

[edit on 4-12-2007 by euclid]

[edit on 4-12-2007 by euclid]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Winchester

Faith is what we hold dear, science today explains the secrets that kept us was dum, The science question of the day: How do you get Woman from Rib, To answer is to be God

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
No, we're not becoming gods. We're becoming extinct. Our cleverness at genetic manipulation and creating of artificial, mechanical lifeforms (intelligent computers) will ultimately and surprisingly quickly mean our doom as a species. Too clever for our own good, I guess. Oh, well.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You people are boring.

Energy moves forward, it's never stagnant.

So if you(as an energy source) aren't moving "forward", you are stagnant/dead.

P.S. no reason to write much more in this thread, because it's most likely you'll have no idea what I'm talking about.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
"Are we becoming gods?"

ar yeah, just last week i used my thunderbolts of wrath on a couple of unworthy Christians, you know the platypus...yeah my bad... a few drinks too many

[edit on 5-12-2007 by andre18]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
loving the thread guys

top topics

<<   2 >>

join