It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One drink may put you over the limit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

One drink may put you over the limit

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=SV3XFFV5S5OBTQFIQMFCFFWAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/01/ndrink101.xml]www.telegraph.co.uk[/ur l]

Drivers could find themselves over the legal alcohol threshold after a single drink under plans being drawn up by the Government to lower the drink drive limit.

Police could also be given powers to stop and breathalyse drivers at random, even if their driving gives no cause for concern.

A Department for Transport consultation to be launched in the New Year is set to propose reducing the legal blood-alcohol limit for driving by almost half.

It is thought that the limit could be cut from 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood to 50mg. The 80mg limit allows a man of average height and weight to drink as many as four units of alcohol, or two pints of normal-strength beer, and still remain within the law. Women can drink three units, the equivalent of a large glass of average strength wine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Bit by bit, piece by piece, everything that those who are old enough used to take as normal is being slowly eroded away.

Our fathers history is being changed for our childrens misery.
Over the last 30 years I have seen many changes relating to smoking, drinking and driving.

Recently the UK has had a new law passed banning smoking in public places (inside buildings,, workplace, shops, pubs, clubs etc.)

Smoking banned in pubs and bars?? these venues have been a historical part of England for centuries.

And now the fight against alcohol slowly gathers pace. I could see this sort of thing happening the day they announced the smoking law. Eventually, alcohol will be banned as it is a danger to health.

But this level of reduction in the breath test is not just about alcohol, it's about giving the police more reasons to stop a vehicle. more reasons to peak into everyones daily habits, more reasons to know who you are, where you're going, what you're doing etc. etc.

WAKE UP!!!!
www.telegraph.co.uk...;jsessionid=SV3XFFV5S5OBTQFIQMFCFFWAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/01/ndrink101.xml
[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=SV3XFFV5S5OBTQFIQMFCFFWAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/01/ndrink101.xml]www.telegraph.co.uk[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Extralien]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I don't know, do you think it was safe to drink two pints and drive?

Just wondering.

I'll have to check into the equivalent measures here in the states to compare.

BTW, would you mind eversomuch to fix your links?

They're blowing the page all out of wack!

I feel like I've had too much to drink just trying to read 'em and all...

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yes, I did try to fix the link. I dont know what mods are on who can sort it.

But i'll post the link here again. It could be a bug of some sort. It is a bit of a strange problem.

www.telegraph.co.uk...;jsessionid=SV3XFFV5S5OBTQFIQMFCFFWAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/01/ndrink101.xml

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Well, all I can say is, you're lucky you don't live in Utah. They've banned alcohol sales on Sundays...go figure. This whole state is run by a bunch of SNIP. I could tell you about 100 other things morman people are bitching about in this state.

Mod edit: Vulgarity and The Automatic ATS Censors

[edit on 1-12-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

It's cool!

Try this one:

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/12/01/ndrunk101.xml

Just hit the "quote" button on this post and grab it out of there....

[edit on 1-12-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Extralien, smoking has been banned in many venues in the US for some years now. I have never, and never will smoke. Not tobacco, not the ohter stuff either. I don't care at all for the smell -- however, do I have the right to impose my opinion on others? Or, do I just avoid places that I find objectionable?

Alcohol was banned in the US once, it was called 'Prohibition'. Gave rise to another income stream for organized crime, back in the 'Roaring' 20s...

On the subject of Government interference, there is a disturbing news story recently here in the States that recounts New York firefighters are being told to look for Anti-American paraphenalia, or even something that shows a 'dissatisfaction' with the Government when they enter businesses or residences in the course of their duty. Smacks both of Orwell, and '1984' and Ray Bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451', perhaps?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by solidgroundcafe

Welcome to ATS, solidgroundcafe!

You're gonna like it here.

Oooo, sweet avatar!

Very Nice!

Um....but it's too wide, it should be under 160 pixels wide by 320 high.

It's ...uh...throwing the page off even farther...and I'm viewing on a wide display...

Sorry, I'm coming off as the standards guy on this thread, but I mean well, and I'm trying to be helpful in a friendly manner.

As a matter of fact, if you need any help with anything just let me know.

There's alot of surly nitpickers who wouldn't be so nice about it, really!

Woo, now I really need a drink!

But first let me save your avatar before you "fix" it....kidding!

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
In an effort to make BA levels reasonable and the DMV more exciting, I propose that each person take an intoxication level test during their driving exam to see how much it takes them to start driving bad.

A good driver is like Minnesota Fatts and pool. The more you drink, the better you drive.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

And, in keeping with the theme of my other posts on this thread, you're not supposed to discuss, "the other stuff" either.

Just kidding!!

What do you think, two pints, too much?

Or another excuse to infringe on liberties taken for granted?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Anubis Kanubis

Hey, Anubis Kanubis, welcome back, haven't seen you in a while, I was beginning to worry, ifyouknowwhatImean!

Hope you got that all worked out...careful now!

on topic...

what you propose would be very difficult to police and only give the cops more leeway for abuse, IMHO.

Although I can see your point with Minnesota Fats, only with some people it would be more along the lines of something smoked, right weedwhacker?

Ooops, nevermind!

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well, im curious. What do you think the law should be?

Should anyone be able to get behind the wheel of a vehicle while having ANY amount of alcohol in their system?

Where does "your right" to drive while intoxicated infringe upon "my right" to drive on the same road and remain safe?

Im not saying I agree or disagree w/ what was said. Im just curious as to what your opinion is on "what should be the law?"

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Until they perfect self-piloting vehicles, I think there should be zero-tolerance for any alcohol consumption by the person behind the wheel, straight and simple.

And all vehicles should have camera systems to protect both us and everyone else we interact with on the road.

But that's another subject...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I propose that each person take an intoxication level test during their driving exam to see how much it takes them to start driving bad.

But that wont work.

That level could change when different factors are introduced. What got me intoxicated when I took my test years ago....would NEVER get me intoxicated now. LOL

[edit on 1-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

[edit on 1-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

I have no idea what you are talking about...

Why would it be so hard for everyone to have a different BA level stated on their license. Clearly, some people are much more tolerant. A sixteen year old cheerleader that has had one beer is much more dangerous than a 40 year old housewife that has had one beer and one each day prior for 20 years...

It should be based off of tolerance level.

[edit on 12/1/2007 by Anubis Kanubis]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   

It should be based off of tolerance level.

That is impossible. People's tolerance level changes based on differnt factors.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I know it. I am just saying, theoretically. Plus, I am drinking but would like to drive to the store. I know I am over the legal limit now, but I am even more sure that I could make it to the store as good as I could type this out.

I've never been locked up for a DUI, and I don't intend to anytime soon.

Everything in moderation.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Here in Australia we already have a .05% alcohol limit. Everytime you are pulled over you could be breathe tested. They are also starting drug swabs also.

I agree with this. I dont want drunk people or drug people in cars driving when they shouldn't. They can cause accidents. I certainly would be against .08%. I think it's quite dangerous.

We also can get pulled over at any time, just for a random stop, and licence check. Which I also agree with. Keep hoons off the road. Keep drunks off the road. Keep drugs off the road. Save lives. Because enough is enough.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by solidgroundcafe

Alcohol sale restriction on Sundays is not a Mormon thing. In many states it has been this way for years. So, im not sure why you brought Mormons into this

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Hmm, I had no idea! That's interesting. I just remember it was a big deal with the non-mormons when the law was taken into effect here. I remember thinking how stupid that was when I heard about it. I'm only 17, haven't been to many places outside of UT, so forgive my ignorance on that one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join