It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are aliens and religion compatible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Firstly I should give some credit to the user 'KATSUO', who made me wonder about this.

If the existence of aliens was revealed to be true, how would this effect religious people?

Regardless of if you believe in a god, or a specific religion, it cannot be denied that religion has a massive effect on our world, and if something happened to disrupt that it would be a big change in the world. I would hope that a downfall of organised religion would benefit the world, after all, many historical wars had religion at the root, but I also know that many would dispute my view on that, perhaps with claims that religion is a moral guidance that helps keep people in line, or talking about the charity work many religious groups do.

I am not a theologian by a long shot, but do take an interest in religions as I do feel understanding about them helps us understand the world at large. The closest I have come to detailed study of a religion is reading the KJV bible a few times.

I don't remember reading in that bible anything about aliens, and if a god exists my idea would be that he must have also created the aliens, but then why would he not tell us about them through the bible? This leads me to think that there can only be one or the other, god, or aliens, thus my question on if they are compatible.

I understand that some religions/sects may hold views on aliens (sadly though the only ones I can think of are the bad ones, like heavens gate.

So, my request for this topic is for people to discuss the compatibility of the two ideas, and to discuss what the many various religions/belief systems would think about this, and to discuss what impact an alien event would have on religious peoples of the world.

For the record I personally would probably be best described as a de-facto atheist. I put the likelyhood of their existance at a tiny tiny amount. The only reason I don't say 0% chance is I cannot prove a god does not exist. As far as aliens go, I believe there must be other lifeforms out there in our vast universe, but I am sceptical about the idea that some have been visiting earth, and expect I will be until I personally witness something.

Some people link 2012 to some kind of ET event, and also to ideas of a 'new conciousness', that kind of interests me, as I do believe that an ET event would destroy most religions, and many people would switch to a different system of thought, like the idea of a Brahman, or the idea that we are our own gods. I don't really go for 2012 ideas as such though, as I don't really believe in prophecy, or the idea that the future is pre-determined.

All opinions welcome here! (Even those which some may call crazy
)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Many aliens are trying to help us humans on our spiritual level.

At this part, I'd like to mention that many religions are false and distracting from what's really important.

I would not call myself a spiritual but I have understood the basics of our spiritual level as beings and how important it is right now to become aware of who you are. And I'm fighting my "programming" so to speak.

Fortunately, there will be a shift soon, many people are waking up in this house of horror on earth.
More and more people start realizing that this mess they're living in is not what we should live like.

I don't know about 2012, i think something will happen very very soon, this destructive system will soon collapse, and in my personal opinion it's very important to prepare right now.

To get it straight, i think many religions are FALSE.
The enlightment does not come by prayer or a descending prophe to rescue you, but it's yourself to do the step, to move to a higher conciousness.

And right now, the people we have in charge use all kinds of methods to keep you on the lowest mind level there is, with physical aswell as brainwashing methodes.

Something big will happen very soon, and even here on ATS you can see the shift in conciousness that people slowly awakening to more possibilities.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Paul the seeker]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett

Sure. Religion is a way for people to accept belief in something that has no decent proof. If aliens show up, that doesn't automatically answer all of mankind's questions. Particularly the big "why" question.

People will have a choice between worshipping a Jewish Jesus or an Alien Jesus. Or both. Or neither.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
For me personally this would not change my outlook on religion (my beliefs).If God can create one planet full of life, couldn't God create others?Why have a vast universe that is void of life except for one single planet?
I used to attend church as a child and I was awe struck at the hypocrisy I saw and heard.Paul the seeker is correct that there are false religions.It's just another group of people with agendas in various forms.
You are correct that many,many,many wars have been waged in the name of religion, whether it be Christian or Muslim.Catholic priests used to entice enlisties by giving them crosses to fight in the name of God.
Why would a loving creator want humans to kill each other?
I'm off on a tangent.......mainstream religion (as an entity) would probably have a problem when aliens are proven to exist.
I think self aware and spiritual individuals would most likely embrace it.
That's my biased opinion though,but I've been mistaken before

Edit for typo

[edit on 30-11-2007 by citizen truth]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well the bible mentions other beings. One bible/apocrypha quote I like is "Man can only understand earthly things, only those who live above the sky can understand the things above the sky."

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Elhardt]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think they are compatible, I am a believer in the ancient astronaut theory because of the religious views of early man. I read about an text from ancient India describing gods fighting each other or something like that and to me, it sounded like some kind of aerial battle.

I don't remember reading in that bible anything about aliens, and if a god exists my idea would be that he must have also created the aliens, but then why would he not tell us about them through the bible? This leads me to think that there can only be one or the other, god, or aliens, thus my question on if they are compatible.

I also read another site about UFOs in the bible and I am starting a search for places that could be interpreted as UFOs as soon as I can get a non-King James bible. Keep in mind that heaven is originally an English word so it might muddle the meaning of the original authors. I can remember a few times in the bible that they referred to God in a physical way. For example, God lead the Isrealites to Canaan as a pillar of cloud in the day and a pillar of fire at night.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Haven't any of you ever stopped to think that maybe the angels 'that came from the heavens' in the bible are aliens? that the demonic looking creatures that live deep underground in earths cavern systems are demons?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I have to say that depends on the person in question, how seriously and literal that person takes her religion and I'm guessing the religion itself. There are so many religions that I'm sure there's a couple out there that flat out deny the existence of life outside the Planet Earth.

I would hope that a downfall of organised religion would benefit the world, after all, many historical wars had religion at the root, but I also know that many would dispute my view on that, perhaps with claims that religion is a moral guidance that helps keep people in line, or talking about the charity work many religious groups do.

I'm glad you bring this up.

First, I do agree that religion(s) served as moral guidance at some point in the past for mankind, when there was basically no rules and laws for men to follow and uphold. And they served their purpose.

I don't think we need moral guidance from religion(s) anymore. Men create their own rules, their own laws. We think and reflect about things and change what needs to be changed. We evolve.

Regarding the charity work that religious work do.. well, you can do charity without religion. Do you need to believe in a god to want to give to others? To help the poor and the weak? I don't think you do.

And maybe the people who do 'charity' simply out of religious beliefs or 'morals' aren't doing it simply because it's moral, but because they are afraid. Afraid of their specific god, or not going to heaven, etc. Is that morality?

The only reason I don't say 0% chance is I cannot prove a god does not exist.

Saying that you cannot prove that god does not exist is silly. And this is obviously almost exclusively used by 'believers' to stop the debate.

What does it matter that you cannot prove that god doesn't exist? It's still the responsibility of people claiming the existence of something to provide reasons for believing this claim.

And religious people don't want to get into that. For them it's simply a matter of faith. Obviously I rather live in a world ruled by scientific reasoning and common sense, but hey! that's me, call me crazy.

This may sound like a rant - and definitely will to religious people - but all I'm saying is that we shouldn't even care if aliens and religions are compatible, because in my opinion religion has no place in science and we shouldn't mix it in our efforts to understand the universe.

Everyone is free to believe in whatever they want, but reality might be an entirely different thing. We already have so many 'barriers' distorting our perception of reality. I think it's time to stop letting religion be one of them.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by danx

Thanks for your comments danx. Your comment about science is actually my reasoning for not saying 0% chance. I feel that it would be un scientific to write something off when it doesn't appear to be possible to conclusively prove/disprove, so I take the line that I believe it is highly unlikely.

Also, I am interested in the comment made about the quote "Man can only understand earthly things, only those who live above the sky can understand the things above the sky." from the christian bible I assume. This is the kind of thing I am looking for, what various religions say, or parts that could be interpreted to say that god has told us about aliens. I do think that even after this alien event many religious people would make an interpretation that would continue to allow their religion to exist. This is part of why I am interested in what the bible (or any other religious text) has to say about aliens.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
well the catholics church position is if E.Ts exist God created them too. They dont fear the discovery of life elsewhere their scholars expect it.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Thanks for your comments danx. Your comment about science is actually my reasoning for not saying 0% chance. I feel that it would be un scientific to write something off when it doesn't appear to be possible to conclusively prove/disprove, so I take the line that I believe it is highly unlikely.

I'm not saying science has the answer to everything, nor that 100% of what it says is correct. Many scientific theories are modified, adapted, changed, redesigned, or declared incorrect when presented with new data and new theories.

Also note that, a scientific theory "does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech", as some of the "intelligent design" people make you want to believe regarding Evolution being "just a theory".

Science is a way of trying to understand and know ourselves, our world and the universe around us - based on previous observations, logic and testability.

With that said, it's not unscientific to say that you cannot prove that god doesn't exist. Most of what religions claim - especially concerning god(s) - fall completely out of science's realms. You can't apply science to things which are by definition untestable (ie omniscience, omnipresence, etc).

However, I think you (also) find it interesting that the claims that are within science's realms - the age of Planet Earth for example - have been usually or invariably flat out wrong.

I guess it comes down to you rather wanting to believe in things or know them.

This is the kind of thing I am looking for, what various religions say, or parts that could be interpreted to say that god has told us about aliens.

It all depends on how you interpret things. If you reject the existence of alien life, then everything you read in the bible you automatically attribute to god, angels and other divine beings.

If you allow for other possibilities, like ancient astronaut theories, then all the references to magical, supernatural beings could be misinterpretations by people at the time of intelligent alien beings and interaction.

I do think that even after this alien event many religious people would make an interpretation that would continue to allow their religion to exist.

Oh, they would. And that's my concern. What if the only way to allow for "their religion to exist", to conciliate their religion with reality is to attribute divine, supernatural attributes to these alien beings?

When men destroy their old gods they will find new ones to take their place. -- Pearl S. Buck

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Religion is a man made institution.
I believe in God and Christ my Lord and Savior but I am not a "religious" person.
The laws that have come directly from God through the commandments are a moral measuring stick and come from common sense. Clearly, killing someone or having sex with someones spouse is not a good idea.
Religious laws are mans laws created how man saw fit for what ever purpose man wanted to accomplish.

That being said, aliens and religion are not compatible. However, aliens and God are completely compatible. Humans are not the only life God ever created, we are just the only life God ever gave a special home all our own, and the "aliens" want to take this home away from us.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
who knows? maybe some E.B.E.s who visit us are religious and believe in their own God.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Absolutely. In a way, both belong to the same category. It's a matter of belief system. The belief in the existence of aliens and belief in God, for example, are both part of the "belief systems" of us humans.
Until there is solid, tangible, physical, concrete, indisputable evidence that there are aliens, the subject belongs in the category of "belief systems", just like beliefs in "religions".
This is the bottom line.

Norio Hayakawa
www.myspace.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I come from a strong religious family,and at no time was I ever told that only people that existed were on earth,I was always told god said he had many worlds,so thats my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

well the catholics church position is if E.Ts exist God created them too.

Is there a source for this?

Not really.

If God created everything, including the Aliens, the Aliens would know of God because they're lasted long before us, God would've sent messengers to preach to them (God created them after all), and they're far superior to us.

Yet God hides these beings from us in his books. Is he lying to us if he deliberately omits their existance from us? Or just being prudent so he can play his game of testing who shall enter his Kingdom after their dead? If God is perfect and his omission of these beings causes harm to those who profess they've encountered aliens or seen spacecraft (in the form of redicule, stress and psychological harm) is he culpable? If he was perfect he wouldn't let people experience these things would he?

What if these Aliens with vastly superior technology turned out to be athiest? Do we start telling them to convert to *insert religion here* or else they will go to hell? I'd like to see that happen when they could destory the world in a whim. What if they have their own God and start reccomending we should convert or else risk going to hell (or something)?

Also religion was made for men and guidance in their earthly primitive ways locked in a human body, sexual desire (which many religions condemn), money (a system the world operates on since barter), marriage, faith, etc. We don't know aliens operate in this way at all, so all of religions clauses are null and void to them (unless, of course, they do operate in such a manner - which would be quite depressing tbh).

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Sure they are. Aliens go to mass, and believe Jesus died for their sins, too.

And if they don't, they're going to hell.

They follow all ten commandments, except a little differently.

For example, they honor their father and mother and other father, and half human mother, and the 38 other contributors of DNA that were spliced together in the test tube they grew from.

They honor the Sabbath, except when they're in space and you can't really say what day it is.

They make no likenesses of anything in heaven... instead they memorize star positions in their minds and never use maps, because that would be bad.

They do not take the name of the lord in vain... because they don't have the mouth parts necessary to speak.

They do not murder. Anything they kill gets reincarnated.

They do not commit adultery, because they have no genitalia.

They don't steal. They always take the people they abduct back to where they came from.

They do not lie, because your memory of what they communicate to you gets erased.

They do not covet their neighbors house, wife, oxen, or donkeys. They just never ever do this. Because they're very Christian.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Read the novel Contact by Carl Sagan (read the book, since the film version seems to haved missed this point somewhat.)

In the book Sagan supposes that there is a "God" who predates our universe, and had "created" the universe in which we live, along with other aliens species. In the Novel, the main character finds a secret message in the mathmatical constant "Pi" that was put there by the creator that shows that the unviverse (and the mathmatical laws that govern it0 is an artificial, yet purposeful, creation.

So in a grand way, the existence of aliens could be compatible with the existence of a 'God' who created the universe, and set in motion the events that would lead to the existence of humans AND other alien races. But that's not to say that this idea is compatible with any specific religion. Some religions (Buddhism, for instance -- although Buddhism is more of a philosphy than a religion) would be more inclined to accept the existence of aliens than the Islamic/Judeo-Christian religions, all three of which believe -- to some degree-- that the Bible is the word of God.

It seems that the literal Bible is inconsistent with the existence of aliens, especially the Old Testament -- parts of which are holy scripture to Christians, Jews, and Muslims alike. But so few people today accept the Bible as LITERAL-- they instead see it as an allegory of God's word. In this case, I believe the Bible's teachings CAN be interpreted in such a way that would allow for the existence of aliens.

Here's one possible way to consider it:
God created the universe. Out of this universe sprang Humans on Earth. The Bible and other scripture that is supposedly the word of God could have been written to guide us humans on Earth. This same universe created by God could have conceived another race of alien beings on another planet. Maybe God has created another scripture for those aliens that gives guidance to their lives...but in a different book (albeit the same general philosophy.)

I'm not saying this is necessarily my philosphy/belief, but it is certainly interesting to entertain an idea such as this.

[edit on 12/1/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

its an interesting topic and some that i will think about this weekend but heres my first thought when i read this.

what would be a bigger mind bender.

aliens coming and disrupting our religions and such

or

aliens arriving and having the same religious belief as some on this planet.

it would be interesting to know what the world would go through if a Grey showed up for Sunday mass at a catholic church.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostryder21

Most religions are absed on the basic (and simple) guiding principle known as 'The Golden Rule'-- which is "treat others as you would like others to treat you". Basically the point is to respect other people. Almost all other laws are derived from this basic principle.

It seems (at least to me as a human) that this priciple of treating others with respect is "Universal". I would think that an alien species whose civilization got as far as to develop space travel would also have adopted this philosophy. I would think that their "moral compass" is very similar to ours, and thus their religious teachings (or philosophical teachings in the adsence of religion) would aslo be similar to ours.

Of course, I could be wrong and they could be a race of beings in which violence and "evil" are pervasive throughout their whole species...but as I said before, I doubt a civilization such as this would succeed in developing space travel before self-imploding.

[edit on 12/1/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join