It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Giants and megaliths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I watched a good discovery channel docu on the evidence for giants in history. They claim that a lot of old strutures are built as if they were meant for very large people, with huge doors and dimensions. Apparently large skeletons of human like remains about ten feet tall, or even higher, have been found all over the world. They interview Jim Marrs, Eric Von Daniken and many other good alternative historians.

I uploaded the best bits onto youtube as it seemed so interesting. I also added some of the weird skulls that have been found in places around the world. And yes, the first picture is fake, but the rest are real.

The best bit is at the end when t-hey look at the at Baalbeck Trilithon, which is a collection of absolutely huge man made megaliths, some of which had to be raised over twenty foot and placed into position to a presicion of millimetres. They say they dont know how much thy weigh, but it is probably over 1000 tonnes, and there is probably not a crane in the world today that could lift it.

The ruins of Baalbek, situated on a large hill (1150 meters) with an expansive view over the adjoining plains, are bordered on two sides by the town of Baalbek and on the other sides by agricultural land belonging to local farmers. Within the sprawling complex are a profusion of temples and platforms filled with a stunning collection of fallen columns and sculptures. The primary structures at the ruins are the Great Court; the Temple of Baal/Jupiter situated upon the massive pre-Roman stone blocks known as the Trilithon; the so-called Temple of Bacchus; and the circular temple believed to be associated with the goddess Venus.

The Great Court, begun during the reign of Trajan (98-117), measured 135 meters by 113 meters, contained various religious buildings and altars, and was surrounded by a splendid colonnade of 128 rose granite columns. These magnificent columns, 20 meters tall and of enormous weight, are known to have been quarried in Aswan, Egypt but how they were actually transported by land and sea to Baalbek remains an engineering mystery.

I think there is a very real possibility of intelligent giant beings being on earth before. Whether they evolved here and died out, or they left earth and went somewhere else, or they originally came from somewhere else in the first place, i dont know what is more likely. Probably the last. any ideas?

I would say this clip is more evidence of previous advanced intelligence and technology than giants, but the giants part is certainly interesting.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by ZeuZZ]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the large stones were moved by the romans

The Roman construction was built on top of earlier ruins and involved the creation of an immense raised plaza onto which the actual buildings were placed. The sloping terrain necessitated the creation of retaining walls on the north, south and west sides of the plaza. These walls are built of monoliths at their lowest level each weighing approximately 400 tons. The western, tallest retaining wall has a second course of monoliths containg the famous "trilithon"; a row of three stones each weighing in excess of 1000 tons. A fourth, still larger stone called "the stone of the south" (Hajar el Gouble) or "the stone of the pregnant woman" (Hajar el Hibla) lays unused in a nearby quarry. Had it been freed from the quarry, it would have been the largest stone ever moved, larger than the famous unfinished obelisk in Aswan. Another of the Roman ruins, the Great Court, has six 20 m-tall stone columns surviving, out of an original 128.

en.wikipedia.org...
and they didn't have giants or advanced technology

just because something looks impossible doesn't mean it was
the largest stone ever moved in the entire history of the Earth was 1 1/2 times as large as the unfinished stone left in the quarry at Baalbek because the romans couldn't move it

its called the thunderstone and it was moved in the 18th century using no advanced technology
en.wikipedia.org...

It is sometimes claimed that the Thunder Stone is the "largest stone ever moved by man." This stone was not only tremendously large, but was also effectively moved 6 km (4 miles) overland to the Gulf of Finland by manpower alone; no animals or machines were used. It was then transported by boat up the Neva, and subsequently to its current site. Due to the large size of the rock, the easiest way to measure its mass is to calculate it. Its dimensions before being cut, according to the fall 1882 edition of La Nature were 7 x 14 x 9 m. Based on the density of granite, its mass was determined to be around 1500 tonnes.[7] Falconet had some of this cut away to change the rock to its current wave-like shape, leaving the finished, stylized pedestal weighing slightly less. This still leaves it the largest when compared to other large, sculpted stones:

when you actually look at the evidence for giants in earths history it soon evaporates
it seems only that pseudo historic sites bother to publish evidence that flimsy. I'm not saying that there weren't extremely tall men around as the condition of Gigantism is a disease of the pituatary gland which results in excessive size

Gigantism or giantism, (from Greek gigas, gigantas "giant") is a condition characterized by excessive height growth and bigness significantly above average height. As a medical term, gigantism is rarely used except to refer to the rare condition of pituitary gigantism due to prepubertal growth hormone excess. There is no precise definition of the degree of height that qualifies a person to be termed a "giant." The term has been typically applied to those whose height is not just in the upper 1% of the population but several standard deviations above mean for persons of the same sex, age, and ethnic ancestry. Typical adult heights of Americans of European descent to whom the term might be applied are 2.25 - 2.40 metres (7'6" - 8 feet).

but this condition isn't hereditary and so there could never have been a race of people afflicted with this medical condition

Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia (1688-1740). once recruited men of tall stature from all over Europe to serve in his "Potsdamer Riesengarde" ("giant guard of Potsdam"). but as it turns out because most of the troops size was caused by disease they were unfit for combat

The original required height was 1.8 meters (5 ft 11 in), then well above average. The tallest soldiers were reportedly 2.17 meters (about 7 feet) in height. The king — who was 1.5 meters (4'11" feet) himself — needed several hundred more recruits each year. He tried to obtain them by any means, and once confided to the French ambassador that "The most beautiful girl or woman in the world would be a matter of indifference to me, but tall soldiers--they are my weakness." He gave bonuses to fathers of tall sons and landowners who gave up their tallest farm workers to join the regiment. He recruited tall soldiers from the armies of other European countries. Foreign rulers like the Emperor of Austria, Russian Tsar Peter the Great and even the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire sent tall soldiers to him in order to encourage friendly relations. Once, Peter the Great retracted his annual gift of 40 soldiers to the regiment, and following that action, Friedrich Wilhelm refused to speak to the Russian ambassador until they were returned.

in the ancient world heights were much shorter than today

anyone reading this who is over 5'10 tall would have been regarded as a giant and its probably this more than anything else that has led to these legends of giants

being naturally tall is hereditary and moreso caused by good nutrition, so any group of tall people who ate well could well have contributed to these mythologies

good site here discussing average human height throughout the ages
www.heightsite.com...

read it you'll soon see what I mean

additionally in ancient art sometimes you see giant figures depicted. These figures usually Gods, Kings or heroes were artistically drawn bigger to show that they were more important than those around them. there is no evidence that they were in reality any taller than the rest of the population

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Being really huge is not necessarily going to make it any easier for a person or people to build big monuments. That's why we invented tools like levers and pulleys. It doesn't matter how big you are, I can jack up a car faster and keep it there with a little lever better than any dumb giant.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

i can kind of see what you are saying but how could you say that being big would not help with making big monuments?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
someone one and a half times your size would have proportionally one and a half times your strength. Or for arguments sake lets pretend that he has 5 times your strength

how is that going to help him move a 1000+ tonne megalith ?

Nohup makes a perfectly valid point that any engineer could explain to you better than I can

maybe Archimedes could help

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.”

none of these megaliths were ever moved solely by hand anyway so its a pointless debate

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i understand what you are saying it is just that they wouldneed less levers and other things to help them, thats all im saying

[edit on 30-11-2007 by coryblood]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerkinana walsky
the large stones were moved by the romans
en.wikipedia.org...
and they didn't have giants or advanced technology

the romans did not have to raise it twenty feet to put it in place, they just had to move it. I cant see how they could have done that with the primitive type of technology they had thousands of years before the romans.

its called the thunderstone and it was moved in the 18th century using no advanced technology
en.wikipedia.org...

Thanx for posting that, that quite an amzing feat they achieved there. However their technology in the 18th century would be more advanced and they would have had metal tools unlike back when the trilithon was made. Plus they would have had a heck of a hard time lifting that up like they had to do.

when you actually look at the evidence for giants in earths history it soon evaporates

agreed, some actual evidence of these skeletons would be nice. Apparently the federal govenments Smithsonian Institute has them now. There are literally hundreds of news stories of giant skeletons found in the america in these mounds, but none of them are anywhere to be seen any more.
www.burlingtonnews.net...

Noted Native American author and professor of law emeritus, Vine Deloria, writes in a personal communication:

It's probably better that so few of the ruins and remains were tied in with the Smithsonian because they give good reason to believe the ending of the Indiana Jones movie—a great warehouse where the real secrets of earth history are buried.

Modern day archaeology and anthropology have nearly sealed the door on our imaginations, broadly interpreting the North American past as devoid of anything unusual in the way of great cultures characterized by a people of unusual demeanor. The great interloper of ancient burial grounds, the nineteenth century Smithsonian Institution, created a one-way portal, through which uncounted bones have been spirited. This door and the contents of its vault are virtually sealed off to any but government officials. Among these bones may lay answers not even sought by these officials concerning the deep past.

The first hint we had about the possible existence of an actual race of tall, strong, and intellectually sophisticated people, was in researching old township and county records. Many of these were quoting from old diaries and letters that were combined, for posterity, in the 1800s from diaries going back to the 1700s.

Some of these old county and regional history books contain real gems because the people were not subjected to a rigid indoctrination about evolution and were astonished about what they found and honestly reported it

The main point that i was making is that a lot of these ancient buildings were built with very large dimensions, some ridiculously large dimensions, that would be totally impractical for human sized people to live in, yet they seem to have gone to excessive effort to make them. Maybe they were built for giants. There are other references to giants in the bible and other ancient texts.

"There were giants in those days…and when the Sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children, the same became mighty men which were old men of renown" Genesis, chapter 6 verse 4. Of course, i do not belive the bible in the slightest, but it is further evidence from old texts.

They are written into many apocryphal texts. The Maya and Inca also believed a race of Giants walked the earth before a great flood. The Greeks and Romans told about blood falling from heaven and landing in the lap of the goddess Gaya – from whom the giants called titans came.

also, The sumerians talked about giants coming from the heavens, the annunaki, and they were the first known civilization.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by ZeuZZ]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeuZZ
The main point that i was making is that a lot of these ancient buildings were built with very large dimensions, some ridiculously large dimensions, that would be totally impractical for human sized people to live in, yet they seem to have gone to excessive effort to make them. Maybe they were built for giants. There are other references to giants in the bible and other ancient texts.

The first house my wife and i bought about 15 years ago had huge doors, massive open plan living spaces and vaulted ceilings. The guy who had it built and that we bought it off was about 5ft 7in.
It looked impressive, doesn't mean that giants lived there.

I think its fair to add though that there could well have been humans at the time that may have been larger than others of that era, a hereditary bottleneck maybe? who knows. But as KW stated anyone over 6ft then would have seemed to be a giant.
Unless there are genuine fossil remains discovered i would have to take any such discussion of a giant race with a grain of salt.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   

That holds absolutely no ground.

Humans have built totally impractical things since they had the skills to build something. Probably the biggest example: Royalty (or similar status like Emperor/Caesar/etc).

For example: What possible use could king Luis XIV of France have for use of a room thats 73m long, 10m wide and 12m high containing 357 mirrors??? Did he like to look at himself in the morning perhaps and need the 73m of space for his many toothbrushes?

[edit on 1-12-2007 by merka]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

That holds absolutely no ground.

Humans have built totally impractical things since they had the skills to build something. Probably the biggest example: Royalty (or similar status like Emperor/Caesar/etc).

For example: What possible use could king Luis XIV of France have for use of a room thats 73m long, 10m wide and 12m high containing 357 mirrors??? Did he like to look at himself in the morning perhaps and need the 73m of space for his many toothbrushes?

Yeah, i was aware of how weak a point that was for giants ( i should not have said that was my main point
) As I said earlier "I would say this clip is more evidence of previous advanced intelligence and technology than giants, but the giants part is certainly interesting". I find the idea of giants interesting, but so far i have not seen anything that would conclusively convince me of their existance.

How an ancient civilzation raised stone blocks that weighed over 1000 tonnes twenty foot and placed them with high prescision, it think, still remains completely unexplained. They did not have metals to make tools, they could not have used trees to roll it on (as they would have shattered). I just fail to see how it was trasported there, and lifted into position without some sort of technology we are not aware of.

How do you exaplin the hundreds of cases of people finding giants in these areas in america? There really are a lot of cases of this. Some of the old news stories can be seen here; www.burlingtonnews.net...

Where did these skeletons go?

[edit on 1-12-2007 by ZeuZZ]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

How an ancient civilzation raised stone blocks that weighed over 1000 tonnes twenty foot and placed them with high prescision, it think, still remains completely unexplained. They did not have metals to make tools, they could not have used trees to roll it on (as they would have shattered). I just fail to see how it was trasported there, and lifted into position without some sort of technology we are not aware of.

Hard labour.

Really the ingenuity of Man is quite amazing when you have to do something. You find a way, plain and simple. How did they do it? Dunno, I've never been ordered to move a 1000 ton stone.

Plus, if you look at some ancient megalithic stones, you see a clear trend:
The heavier they are, the higher chance of failure, ie they broke when the ancients tried to work them. Or they were cut on the spot (the Sphinx is a megaton example, hehe) or not moved very far from the quarry.

Obviously, these types of 500+ tons stones where not something that saw constant use like the bricks of a house. The ancients figured that out quite early I would guess... Simply because it was hard. Its hard enough to move a 10 ton rock.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kerkinana walsky

Hmmm info from wik? Never trusted a site were anyone can edit everything.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
appearances can be deceiving,

Are 'we' absolutely sure that the megalithic stone at the Baalbeck platform
are megaton sized stones that were 'moved' there?

the whole area is saturated in quarry stone deposits,
those megalith 'stones' could be carved from a bedrock outcropping and made to 'appear' as individual stones.

the gigantic humongeous 100 ton megalith (still attached to the base)
may be just an 'advertizing stone'...made to impress visiting warlords
& kings that might have become adversaries, if they had not seen with
their own eyes the spectacular engineering projects that dwarf the
capabilities of themselves.... hence a conflict or adversary is avoided
by this (misconstrued) show of power & supremacy...!

enemies are bluffed out of doing battle, neat tactic!

[edit on 1-12-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Two things:

1) Actually the largest stone moved by man was one in Sacsahuaman, Peru. It is estimated at 20,000 tons, putting it about 20 times the weight of those huge Baalbek stones. IIRC it was cut from the side of a mountain and moved out a bit, but it toppled over and was left abandoned as if the job was interrupted.

2) Most ancient cultures built huge structures with great heights and large, impressive doorways. However, all the steps or stairs leading into them are for normal sized humans, so that should do away with ideas that large buildings meant they were for giants.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Elhardt]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elhardt
1) Actually the largest stone moved by man was one in Sacsahuaman, Peru. It is estimated at 20,000 tons, putting it about 20 times the weight of those huge Baalbek stones. IIRC it was cut from the side of a mountain and moved out a bit, but it toppled over and was left abandoned as if the job was interrupted.

the largest stone at Sacsayhuaman weighs approx 80 tonnes, you've inadvertently confused the weight of th stone with the number of workers estimated to have built the entire complex. 20,000
check link for irrefutable proof of that
www.google.co.uk...

the largest stone at sacsayhuaman can be seen here on the right

the wonder that is Sacsayhuaman is not the impossibility of its construction but the care taken in fitting it all together so neatly. The blocks however they have been described are NOT put together so neatly that you can't put a knifeblade between them

Originally posted by Elhardt
2) Most ancient cultures built huge structures with great heights and large, impressive doorways. However, all the steps or stairs leading into them are for normal sized humans, so that should do away with ideas that large buildings meant they were for giants.

The largest doors in the ancient world were the city gates.
they were large because they were opened for more than one person/cart to pass through at one time and because some bright spark discovered that a counterbalanced door which weighed 5 tonnes was more impervious to attack by an enemy than a hinged one that weighed 100 lbs.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by kerkinana walsky]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
reply to post by kerkinana walsky

Hmmm info from wik? Never trusted a site were anyone can edit everything.

all new edits are now checked

people found editing things deliberately incorrectly have their I.P's blocked
everything stated at Wiki is now harvard referenced from credible sites
times they are a changing

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I dont know aabout Giants building these massive feats of enginering, but why is it so hard to beleive that Giants once walked the earth. We only need to go back to the era of the mighty dinosaurs to see that, Birds were bigger, sharks were bigger etc... Why would homosapiens and neanderthals be any different?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Scientists would never tell the world about these things because they have it set in their minds their views are right. Like alot of things, they report finding new planets because that is anti-God and suits there theories and funds. These things are a threat to thier way of thinking, the more they uncover the more Godly it becomes.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steff
I dont know aabout Giants building these massive feats of enginering, but why is it so hard to beleive that Giants once walked the earth. We only need to go back to the era of the mighty dinosaurs to see that, Birds were bigger, sharks were bigger etc... Why would homosapiens and neanderthals be any different?

Dinosaurs were bigger because they had bones designed the same as birds which evolved from them
www.backyardnature.net...
Aquatic animals are bigger because their weight is compensated by the volume of water that they displace
en.wikipedia.org...

the largest flying bird of all time was Argentavis magnificens, it weighed 65-100 kg and lived six million years ago
en.wikipedia.org...
the Largest bird of all time is Phorusrhacidae Brontornis it weighed 350-400 kg and lived 62-2 million years ago
en.wikipedia.org...
www.bbc.co.uk...
these animals filled evolutionary niches and became extinct because they couldn't adapt to new environmental conditions

humans do not have these compensations. We do not have pneumatic bones, are not supported by water and do not fill an evolutionary Niche

people who have gigantism suffer from numerous joint and skeletal problems as a result their body exceeding its maximum efficient size

If Giants did exist as described sometimes in texts of dubious credibility which portrays them as incredibly strong and tough then they would still be here

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Scientists would never tell the world about these things because they have it set in their minds their views are right.

Scientists would never tell the world about these things because they rely on evidence
and there isn't any

Originally posted by The time lord
Like alot of things, they report finding new planets because that is anti-God and suits there theories and funds. These things are a threat to thier way of thinking, the more they uncover the more Godly it becomes.

this isn't the religious belief forum
the Bible doesn't stand up to scrutiny
it is not a science book or a history book it is a religious cosmology
if you accept it as factual then you also have to accept as factual all the other books which contain religious cosmology
the Koran
quod.lib.umich.edu...
the Enuma Elish
www.sacred-texts.com...
the Kojiki
www.sacred-texts.com...
the codex regius
en.wikipedia.org...
and others too numerous to mention

when you've accepted that all these explanations are true and factual then you can talk
til then you're pushing your own religious agenda
and thats not scientific

the most fanous quote in the Bible for instance which mentions giants is this one

Genesis 6:4 King James version
4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

www.biblegateway.com...
this is in fact a mistranslation of the original Hebrew bible which states in the same passage

Hebrew Bible
4 The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them; the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

www.mechon-mamre.org...
the Nephilim are never described as giants
they are the offspring of Angels and normal Human women. Human women are incapable of giving birth to anything larger than normal human sized babies because of the size of the pelvis
so look
no giants in the bible ok.
so no need for you to quote God as a character witness in this case

[edit on 1-12-2007 by kerkinana walsky]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join