It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth in Recruiting Centers and Recruters.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well, i went to the recruiting center around my area because they wouldnt stop calling me, on my cell! So , i went there and gave me some info, and told me to follow up in two days. They were telling me about how the Marines were going to pay for all my education, and all kinds of crap. so, they call the next day, not in two days! told me to go that afternoon. i went and there was this other guy, which was not even in uniform. They were all filling my head with a bunch of crap and BS, that i wanted to run out of the office.lol. basically they couldnt connvince me to join the Marines and he said that this was an opportunity of a life time. Then i told them i wasnt interested right now, and he said that i was making a very stupid choice! and that i would later regret not joining. My point is that this recruiting centers rely on lies in order to recruit young people.and they even tell you that you have to make the choice right away or you will never have another opportunity.

Comments Please!

Check this website www.ivaw.org...

[edit on 30-11-2007 by mhector3500]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Come on! no comments?

Doesnt any body know someone in service right now, that once in, you pretty much are in their hands and some things werent as they told them.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mhector3500

Well, I cant comment on your experience. But most of my friends/family are either military or LEOs. My husband is active AF 6+years.

He had a positive experience with his recruiter, as did his cousin who signed up w/ the marines last year and his proudly serving in Iraq now. He actually LOVES what he is doing right now. His life has changed for the better - his words, not mine.

He wasnt lied to either....neither was his cousin. Neither would trade their job for anything. In fact, my husband is getting ready to cross train into a new career w/in the AF. After 6yrs of one job...hes ready for a diff one. His education has been completely paid for. He plans on retiring from the Air Force.

Does he have crappy days/weeks? Sure does. But he said that he had even more crappy days working in the civilian work world.

Sorry, you had a bad experience. If you are interested. Try a diff recruiter. If you are not interested....tell them to stop calling you.

Good luck in whatever you decide! Not everyone hates being in the military, nor does everyone have a horrible experience.

Also...the military isnt for everyone. But I sure as hell wont say that it is all negative.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I am on the recruiters side on this one, yes, they can be a bit overwhelming and persistent, but thats their job. They are pretty much straight forward if you ask questions. The benefits are good! But the con is you might be cannon fodder unless you test high on the ASVAB. You might here a lot of crazy stories but basic training is pretty much how they describe. Doesn't hurt to do your own research as well. Hey, if you want to piss them off, tell them you are going air force!
, also, anyone is welcome to enlist (just about anyone) but the ones they are really persistent on is the ones they think may make a great marine.
Have you taking the ASVAB yet? If you did and scored high, you can expect each branch to be calling.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

What you say is true.

Plus, if you score high...you have a better chance at getting a job you want. If you really are interested in joining up - research the different jobs...study your arse off and try and get the job you want.

I of course say go "Blue" - Air Force.....but im a bit partial

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the comment!. I agree, the Army is not for everyone, some poeple like it some people dont. Too bad the only way to know is by actully joining the army and experienced it.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mhector3500

Yes, but you dont have to sign away your life. You can sign up for a very short time...then get out. What is a few years of your life - compared to your entire life? Not much. Then you do get school paid for at least!

Anyways, again...good luck on deciding what you want for yourself!

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

Hey pontiawarrior! yeah they actually told me i could be a great marine, maybe thats why they isisted so much. And no, i havent tested on the other ones, this is pretty much my first time going to a recruiting center.
Maybe it is because they need more Marines, i read that this year has being the worst in recruiting people; people are just not joining anymore, they oviously need Marines right now.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
But if you do join, join for yourself, not for fame and fortune, not to get the ladies while in your awesome uniform, and not to impress anyone. I have seen many do this and once in basic training they find out its not for them, and will try most anything to get out. If the recruiters keep bugging you, tell them you get a lot of headaches, sleepwalking, had more than three kidney stones, or your openly gay. These excuses will get them to leave you alone.

top topics

join