It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Criticizes Atheism in Encyclical

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Pope Criticizes Atheism in Encyclical

www.breitbart.com

Pope Benedict XVI strongly criticized atheism in a major document released Friday, saying it had led to some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice" ever known.
In his second encyclical, Benedict also critically questioned modern Christianity, saying its focus on individual salvation had ignored Jesus' message that true Christian hope involves salvation for all.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I want to remind readers of the Holocaust (perpetrated by Germanic Christians for the most part where the Catholic church did NOTHING), the Crusades, the Inquisition...the list goes on.

Every religion has similar abuses, I am not singling out Christianity. I believe no man/woman is perfect, and neither can a religion created by Man.

Benedict sharply criticizes Marx and the 19th and 20th century atheism spawned by his revolution, although he acknowledges that both were responding to the deep injustices of the time.

"A world marked by so much injustice, innocent suffering and cynicism of power cannot be the work of a good God," he wrote. But he said the idea that mankind can do what God cannot by creating a new salvation on Earth was "both presumptuous and intrinsically false."

"It is no accident that this idea has led to the greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice," he wrote. "A world which has to create its own justice is a world without hope."

I am by no means defending atheism. While I do not believe in religion for my own beliefs, I do not persecute those who follow them...

I think to each his own, but to point the blame at innocent people is completely ridiculous.

Take responsibility for your actions geez!

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The pope is an idiot. More people have been killed in the name of one religion or another than for any other reason.

Now people will cite Stalin, an atheist, and poo-poo my statement. That ain't gonna work. Stalin didn't kill because he was an atheist.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Can someone please post the list of brutal atheist murders who's killings had ANYTHING to do with the fact that they were atheist ?

KTHXBI

ps. Take note on how many people have died under the watch of our Christian presidents. Thanks for the sanctions on Iraq/Iran/Cuba/whoever - those people didn't want to live anyhow !

[edit on 30-11-2007 by discomfit]

top topics

join