It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

China targeting all 'enemy space vehicles'

www.worldtribune.com

China’s anti-satellite and space warfare program includes plans to destroy or incapacitate 'every enemy space vehicle' that passes over China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This paragraph opened my eyes,
The military is also developing stealth satellites and a space program that will “provide key support for Chinese combat forces.”

www.worldtribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
From your news source...

The Chinese also plan to attack U.S. global positioning system (GPS) satellites through various means, including anti-satellite weapons, high-energy weapons, high-energy weather monitoring rockets and ground attacks on earth-based stations.

How would this impact the US military ability to wage war, as a huge inventory of long-range munitions and technology is dependant on GPS for targetting

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hey, the US could always use Galileo. Just been approved today for the go ahead. Should be online in 2013.

Obviously, there'd be a fee.....

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well, it definitely could lead to the militarization of space. The US has waaay too much to lose if China was to start blasting satellites out of the sky.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
America want space based weapons in orbit, now you have to ask yourself why would you weaponise space, two reasons come to mind, one, are the Americans affraid of an alien attack, & these weapons are our first line of defence, the other reason is, if you control space with these weapons then you can control the earth, NWO comes to mind, either way it seems china are having none of it.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What happened to the space treaty that China acceeded and the US ratified? It clearly mentions the prohibition of space weapons, so is there something that caused this treaty to become null and void?

www.unoosa.org...
If you want to search for yourself.

It looks like China is worried about the US's ability to use space, instead of the atmosphere, to get weapons to their targets. Note, this is for weapons that are not space based since those are prohibited.

The annual report of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, released last week, listed among Beijing's goals that of ensuring that Chinese space weapons are “conducted covertly so China can maintain a positive international image.” China has called for a ban on space weapons at the United Nations.

www.worldtribune.com...#

So China wants to ensure that Chinese space weapons are conducted covertly so China can keep a happy international image. I can't belive they said this!!!

If these weapons are based in space then China is breaking the treaty. If they are land or air based then they are legal. That is one part that I need clarification on. Does anyone know where they will be based?

The other part is China saying they will destroy US GPS satellites and other space vehicles that fly over China. I can only see this as an act of war. What are the Chinese thinking? Regardless of where China shoots their weapons from this is not legal. GPS satellites are not space based weapons since they do not meet the definition that the UN states in the treaty.

So not knowing where the Chinese space weapons will be based I cannot say if they are breaking the treaty. This only makes me think that they want to change the wording to include the use of space in a weapon system which would change things for the entire world. Is China using this as leverage to make the US take any and all weapons systems out of space for good? This will include any vehicle that uses space to deliver a weapon.

If China does attack any non-weapon satellites/vehicles in space then this is an act of war. What good will a war between the US and China do?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I would think that any attack on U.S. assets in space,especialy military satellites would be considered an act of war.As like knocking out someones radar systems wpold jeopordize that countries defense.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
China has a surface or aircraft(can't remember) based missile than can take out satellites. They tested it a few months back on one of their aging comm satellites.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by spooky mulder
I would think that any attack on U.S. assets in space,especialy military satellites would be considered an act of war.As like knocking out someones radar systems wpold jeopordize that countries defense.

But to China, orbiting US satellites entering Chinese 'airspace' could equally be declared as aggressive espionage and considered an act-of-war just the same

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

But to China, orbiting US satellites entering Chinese 'airspace' could equally be declared as aggressive espionage and considered an act-of-war just the same

Yeah, I see no problem with them shooting down any military satellite over its airspace

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Before all the Yanks get their knickers in a twist over "declarations of war" (which, incidentally, the US never does when it's them doing the bombing.....), the Chinese have said ENEMY SATTELITES.

Now, the last time I checked, the US wasn't China's enemy. The word enemy implies conflict, which there is none.

If the situation changes where China and the US are in a state of conflict, then I think it is quite academic about "declarations of war", to be honest.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There is no reason to worry about this. The United States has a similar military program that came online back in 1985.
It is also well known that known military satellites are frequently "blacked out" by nations with opposing interests.

This is OLD news and I wouldn't worry about any of it unless an actual war started. Then it might get ugly.

Also, for those of you worried about losing GPS in a military sense, there are always alternatives and most military equipment is built with redundant systems to deal with such a loss.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by spooky mulder

Trying to find a link, but I don't believe the area outside the earth's atmosphere in orbit over a country is by international law considered part of that country's airspace. So, orbiting satellites would be considered to be in international "waters", so to speak and couldn't be destroyed without it being an act of war.

[edit on 11/30/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Our satellites are in a very high orbit and they go over every country at one point or another. It is a act of war attacking one of our Sat's and they would pay the piper if they tried. They don't have yangs to try to provoke us that way. They know that we would say take out their whole navy for such an act. Most of Chinas nukes are tactical and its funny that most are still aimed at Russia.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Space is not air space buddy, There is no air up there.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i don't think the Chinese are capable of targeting a specific spy or GPS satellite,
what they've done so far is explode a satellite so the 'shrappnel'/'debris field'
takes-out any USA satellite(s) in the same/similar orbits.
it's a basically low-tech, low cost assault & satellite 'killer' operation.

hey thank the Clinton administration for the new found Chinese launch
and orbit capabilities....it all happened with the white sands missile range
Lap Tops that got sold or found their way into China's possession.
And in reward the millions that a Chinese man made to the Clinton re-election campaign...

.how short our memories are

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Our satellites are in a very high orbit and they go over every country at one point or another. It is a act of war attacking one of our Sat's and they would pay the piper if they tried. They don't have yangs to try to provoke us that way. They know that we would say take out their whole navy for such an act. Most of Chinas nukes are tactical and its funny that most are still aimed at Russia.

GPS satellites are geo-synchronous, so they don't "go" over anywhere. They stay put, in relation to the ground.

As I said earlier, I think all you Yanks are jumping the gun. The Chinese said "enemy satellites".

Are you enemies? Your all banging on about "How outrageous, that would be a declaration of war!!!". What you fail to realise is that the point is mute. They'd only target the sat's if you guy's were already at war.

Wake up.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
China has done the same as the US has, drawn up plans to attack a possible enemy. Of course it sucks when it happens to be the US, but the US does the same so fair is fair.

It is interesting to read that the Chinese are drawing up plans like this. I don't know of any contingency plans by the US to attack another country's satellites. Why would the Chinese release info like this? Propaganda? Flexing their muscles? Is this being done to leverage the new space treaty or whatever you want to call it that China is pushing?

Maybe China is letting their strategic partners know that they can satisfy their part of the deal if an attack on the US were being planned in secret. That is just my conspiricy side coming out since it is based on nothing. That is my disclaimer btw.

Don't worry stumason, I don't think China is going to attack the US. If I made it sound that way I hope this post clears things up.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Alanjw72

The 'alien defense' scenario is pretty much nonsense. Compare it to land based cannons in a fort versus modern F-15s.

Having plans for weaponry, vs having a fleet that can reliably hit a shielded and adaptive satellite...and by a nation just starting their space program also seems a less than credible threat...right now, at least.

We probably should have conquered China, Russia and the middle East at the end of WWII, and taken over the world for democrasy, when we had the bomb and they didn't.

If 'Earth' were a computer game, then to wait while the forces of the Harkonnens and the Ordos build up their forces would have spelled defeat for the Atreidies.

patefacio toxica egalitarianism there are two misspellings in this post

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join