It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Home Office: 'Serious Threat Of Dirty Bomb Attack'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

UK Home Office: 'Serious Threat Of Dirty Bomb Attack'

news.sky.com

Britain faces the serious threat of a "dirty bomb" terror attack, the Home Secretary has warned. The news comes as police in Slovakia question three people caught trying to sell enriched uranium for possible use in a radiological device.

In an exclusive interview for Sky News on her department's efforts to counter the terrorist threat, Jacqui Smith said intelligence analysts believed the number of plots was likely to grow in the months ahead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Oh, how lovely.

So, the government is yet again low in polls after a string of failures and it's resulted in them talking about the T word (again).

Sadly, I feel something will happen this Christmas. With all these warnings, it's likely. Last time this happened, we had a failed attack in London and an attack in Glasgow.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Thanks for this update.

Dirty bomb sounds like the next step.

I'm wondering if a dirty bomb attack outside the US would move our Homeland security alert to red?

The article smells of a future "I told you so."

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Well hopefully it's just spin to get people thinking about something other than the incompetence of Brown. Mind you, people might be more inclined to see change if they think, "Well, if they mess up over smaller stuff, then how will they get it right when many lives are at stake?"

Again, I am hopeful it is nothing but I would lack surprise if terrorists tried attacks around Christmas.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Who are the terrorist again ???

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I always worry more about this sort of thing when the government are on the ropes.
Nothing like a good terror attack to get people focused away from government incompetence and dodgey dealings.
The spectre of the "dirty bomb" is totally laughable coming from a government who routinley uses their very own dirty bombs in civilian areas across the middle east in the form of depleted uranium.

Theres a new anti terror bill in the pipes too is'nt there?
Nowt like a terror attack to get the masses back on message,and shut those pesky civil libertarians up...

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think you may be putting the horse before the carriage here.

Usually the idea is to wait until after the attack is carried out to lay blame. I understand your sentiment and frankly I have the same doubts about our government in the US, but let's wait and see who does it before we start pointing fingers. It may or may not happen, and until then we can't say who did it.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Pyridion

Good question. "Who are the terrorists again?" The headline should have read, "Serious Threat of Dirty Bomb Attack: We Have The Receipt!"

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
As I have no knowledge of how dirty bombs work, I would like to ask;
what kind of destruction are we looking at in such a case? Several kilometres of flattend buildings? Or is it "merely" a bomb made for severe and deadly contamination in a smaller area??

I work in central London and would just hate to be radiated before I go home for x=mas...

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
As I have no knowledge of how dirty bombs work, I would like to ask;
what kind of destruction are we looking at in such a case? Several kilometres of flattend buildings? Or is it "merely" a bomb made for severe and deadly contamination in a smaller area??

I have no knowlegde either, if i did, the chances are I would be on my way to Cuba

But seriously, nothing will happen, unless the government allows it too or turns a blind eye to threats.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

A dirty bomb does not have to contain a lot of explosive material and will do little infrastructure or building damage. The damage is done by the radioactive material spread by the blast and prevailing weather conditions. Kind of a slow burn thing, waiting for years to see if loads of people start dying of cancers caused by the radiation spread.
It's more of a scare thing really, playing on peoples fears with the word "Radioactive" and "Bomb" when in fact it's debatable that such a device could have much of an impact.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
I work in central London and would just hate to be radiated before I go home for x=mas...

Well, if you were, at least you could write it off as saying that you're "Aglow with the spirit of the season!"

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yep Labours feeble attempts at trying to get the heat of there own backs. I notice BBC haven't even given this pathetic warning a minute on there network.

It really is pathetic when Labour have to resort to such pathetic measures.

They're a sinking ship.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by paul76

They're a sinking ship.

The ship has already sunk (and this is coming from someone who is a member of the Labour Party)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Loki

haha
that's well funny. Can just see myself on posters in the land of giants
- "New glowstick! Edible with a crunchy shell and soft on the inside... For those party times that require a snack"

But yeah, I hold faith to your words that it probably is more fear mongering and mindset manipulation. Fortunately I wasn't in London at the time of either of the previous attacks, but the fact that they were there still lingers.

new topics

top topics

join