It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avarage Life expectancy of an ATS member?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
What is the average life expectancy of an ATS member?

A friend and I were having a little business ideas session and we somehow got on to the really interesting subject of brand loyalty... Yes we had had a few sniffters...

I know that a few guys have been on here from the start, which is a long time in net terms.

A few people come and go like a fart on a bus. So how do you decide when an account is dead / no longer in use

What period of time before you discount a member?

Do banned peoples become removed from site stats?

I have no idea if you have these stats at your fingertips, just something that is interesting, to me anyway!!

MonKey

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
been here since 2003

There are many who have been here for yeeeeeeeearrs

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Interesting...I have wondered this myself, or something like it.

I am sure there is an interesting psychological process that unfolds for every member.

Stage 1 - shocked and stupefied lurking, surprised that such a site even exists

Stage 2 - excited and inspired, madly posting and replying, so happy that there is an outlet for all of your ideas and concerns, happy to find a community of like-minded individuals

Stage 3 - mentally over-whelmed by all of the many ideas, ideologies, theories and personalities, question at least some of what you believe (if you are intellectually honest and not a partisan or agenda driven ideologue)

Stage 4 - disappointment, around long enough to know that typing furiously on a computer does not exact change, mild sense of hopelessness that the world can be so screwed up, some really wacky characters on the boards who post crazy crap, more combative, slightly jaded, bans most likely to occur during this period

Stage 5 - reinvigorated, on the boards long enough to see a new influx of people with new energy and new ideas to build on, news cycle has turned over and there are different topics to debate and discuss, views on threads show that people are reading, so maybe they are "waking up"

Stage 6 - more balanced and measured participation, better quality posts and threads, more tolerant of other members, site more-like a comfortable old friend than a new and scintillating experience.

Stage 7 - stay or go

I would imagine the time-line is different for each individual, depending on how often you log-in.

[edit on 30/11/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Iv'e been here almost pretty much since ats was first started and am 25 now if that helps any.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm 21 now,

I joined when I was 17

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well, I can't speak on behalf of the Amigos, however, I can answer two of your questions as a member of approximately 5 years.

We never really discount a member. I've seen people come back after not signing in for 3 years or more.

Also, banned members are not removed from site stats. The reason is because they've contributed too. Often times you'll have someone who was a good member and contributed a lot to the site and then for whatever reason something happens, the reasons can be nearly anything. When that person gets banned we consider it a shame. The contributions he/she made are still contributions that we respect and would never be removed simply because something happened with that member. Of course I'm not referring to one-shot banned members like spammers because their posts are deleted and clearly don't count for any stats.

So basically my answer, from a person who's been here a long long time is that to us an account is never dead. If someone hasn't logged in for a long time, well... we hope they're ok and hope they'll come back. It happens all the time.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Startlingly accurate, I must say.

I think I've really changed my way of thinking and problem solving since coming to ATS in 2003.

It's really helped me to ...

Deny Ignorance

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
Startlingly accurate, I must say.

I think I've really changed my way of thinking and problem solving since coming to ATS in 2003.

It's really helped me to ...

Deny Ignorance

Oh I agree.

ATS helped me developed critical thinking and understanding of subject matter, instead of believing everything being posted.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   

great description of stages there.

I may add that ATS-maturity eventually goes from pure consume and attention-mongering to actually USING ATS for ones own research and learning benefit.

Beyond the stage of having to teach everyone something and be "right" about things, and beyond the stage of pure entertainment and thirst for chitchat with others...there is the stage of actually coming here to benefit personally and learn more and more and more and more.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Cheers for the excellent replies.

K-jack, That's a bit more phycological than I was aimming at, but awesome all the same! not to sure at which stage I'm at.

Djarums, Thanks also. While I respect the ever hopefullness that a member will return. surely you can't say we have 10'000 members, when 50% of them haven't posted or logged in for XXX amount of time. With the hopefullness in mind I shall re-word the question.

I'm not sure but after a certain amount of time wouldn't advertising become misleading?

Is there a time when you say "we'll be lucky if they come beck and post"?

Then maybe you could label them MIA rather than DEAD

Cheers Again

MonKey

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It's A Wonderful Life

I think kosmicjack nailed it.

I can't even count how many times I've been through that cycle.

As for an "average life expectancy", I can only guess, but I imagine the Overlord could glean some interesting figures if he wanted to.

I suspect the average term of membership is longer than most people might imagine, primarily because so many people register to cut down on ads, then lurk. Just because they don't post doesn't mean they aren't members, and lurking is just as legitimate a membership strategy as any other (though I'm obviously rather partial to posting up a storm, myself).

It's also helpful to remember that ATS doesn't exist in a vacuum. As an example, even though ATS is my favorite family of discussion boards, I'm a member of dozens of others, and visit each of them with varying frequency. On many of those forums I could be considered "MIA", but once in a while I may return and become active, depending on my time, inclination and whims.

Likewise, some ATSers may visit daily, but many visit weekly, monthly or "wheneverly". Every once in a while I'll see a member who's been dormant for months or years suddenly start posting prolifically, and when certain "big events" happen in the "real world", it's not unusual to see a spike in visits by members and guests alike.

Getting back to taking a guess, and even considering how many "one-shot" members we have to ban (ad spamming, trolling, etc.), I think the "average life expectancy" for an ATS member is on the order of at least several months at this point, and wouldn't be surprised if it was well over a year.

Your mileage may vary.

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Actually I've seen many members that haven't been here for a while coming back lately.

*looks Loki's way*

Nice to see you back.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Average life expectancy of an ATS member who crosses intrepid-

About 8 se

[I kid the bladed one]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Like any other site, as with human nature, interest goes in waves.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by kegs]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I don't think I have been one to go through those stages. My tenure has been more of a slow burn. I may not post as much as other members, but I usually get at least one post a day.

I think members come in three groups:

1) Flash in the pan.

2) Slow burn.

3) Old farts.

Just remember, ATS members never die, and a few may fade away, but everyone is welcome.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well as a beginer, i think im about at the second stage. Im hopping this fascination does wear off cause there wasn't enough time in the day as it was (Pre ATS). In the mean time im having some fun

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Let me try a different tangent. I'm a noobette. The "Average Life-Span of an ATS Member"? Likely longer.

Let me explain myself. With this wonderful planet we young will inherit, with all it's dangers, instabilities and other weirdness, members of ATS seem (at least to me) to be very well informed of "the current".

Those who are online at ATS when whatever SHTF in a big way, will have if nothing else, an advatage of awareness potentially not possessed by non-members. This awareness may make it possible for some to survive where others less well informed may not.

My Dad (who is finally walking on his own and recovering well - thanx for all the support from ATS members) has mentioned this several times - so has my Mom. My sire says ATS offers an ENG capability beyond that of the "regular" media in depth and that things discussed openly here would never make it to MSM - important aspects of news are often "not aired" for a variety of reasons on MSM that do receive full-measure at ATS.

I can't give a specific "for instance" but I think many will understand my reasoning even if it seems as clumsy as this was to write. ATS is the edge.

I like being alive, situational awareness is good, so is ATS.

Mira

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
ATS members don't die. They disappear.

On kosmicjack's scale, after 3 years, I'm up to stage 4. But I don't see myself ever leaving permanently.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I'm mainly interested in the UFO forum, but have felt disappointed of late as the majority of the posts and threads have been of a highly skeptical nature.. normally along the lines of 'I don't believe in aliens from outer space.. and those of you who do are nutjobs and being misled by hoaxers in it for the money.. y'know, the overall tone of the forum there is condescending to say the least, and I find myself posting there less and less.

Y'know, you almost feel too scared to post because if you say something positive about a sighting or disclosure-related interview, there will be another person who basically heralds you as a disgrace to ufology and it's posts like this is why ufology is in the state it's in, yadda yadda yadda.. they sort of forget that we are taking everything we read with an open mind, we aren't following it like a faith-based religion like some of the threads recently have been declaring. I just feel that, y'know, we have to be open to possibilities and that's what the forum should be for.

This is just speaking about the UFO forum, mind you. News gets slow.. and then someone declares the entire phenomenon as a 1950s sci-fi flying saucer craze now dead.. it's a really ignorant way of looking at it and kinda gets me down. It's hard to post if you find yourself not quite on the wavelength of other posters. So we go into hibernation, we go into lurk mode. And meanwhile we let the hardcore skeptics have their merry way. It's useless trying to debate the issues when neither party has the absolute tools of truth to give a finite answer to the ufo phenomenon. The whole thing becomes circular, just like arguing religion / evolution, neither side 'winning'. All we can do is continue to point interested parties in the right direction, gain a new perspective on the world.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by RiotComing]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
All I can do is speak for myself on this issue, but I've been a member here since the 2nd board design. That was right after 9/11, btw. I was in the whole gotta post to every thread stage at that point, mind you there were only about 50 active members at the time and Simon was basically doing all the work himself, but still. There wasn't much going on in those days board wise. I remember the first chat applet (really basic stuff) and when the new design was made where we at one point had to log in using the ip addy because some of the coding was off and wouldn't direct us to the site. Good thing I had it in my web history or I would have been lost in those days. I used to work right beside my house and would spend time on the site till right before going to work, then dash next door to work, then back home on break to check the site. Sit glued to the PC for as long as possible then rush back to work. One time I'd left my PC connected all night so if I woke up in the middle of the night, I'd stop by the PC to see if anything was happening. My boss had to send someone to my house to see if I could come to work because they were short staffed, all because I was on dial up at the time and the phone line was busy. Those were the obsession days.

At the next board version, I was made a mod, and we were growing. Then, Super Mods were introduced and I was moved up to Super Mod. During those days, things were kinda rough for staff with a lot of spammers and a couple of hack attempts, so I started just lurking on the forums and doing most of my posts to the mod areas. My obsession was wanning, and I had a lot going on in my life at the time. Family issues, my grandma was dying, mom and dad were still living like family didn't exist, heck, mom hadn't seen her mother in 7 years at that point, it had been 3 since I'd seen her. The support of my fellow mods meant a lot to me at that time.

Enter former mod who will remain nameless, and things were skewed at best after a while. They were made mod, and I rallied for them to be moved up to Super during the next mod induction. Things went well for a while, I'd moved from my hometown to Northern VA to be with my brother, and things got rocky there. We had a falling out, and I moved from there, and started posting again in a limited capacity. I took more interest in the board then, since I didn't have my family again.

Anyways, something happened and life was too hectic, so I ended up stepping down as a mod. I still hung out for a while on the board, but ended up gradually fading away. This was circa 2004-2005. I still checked u2u's some, but gradually stopped even doing that in 2006.

Anyways, I am back now, and don't think I'll ever get back to the obsession stage, but do look forward to getting into some interesting discussions again. I truly do enjoy this site, and enjoy the members I meet here and the intellectual discussions I have. I've made some great friends here, and am looking forward to reconnecting with them. Old timers like WoS and alien. People like UM_Gazz, spectra (if he's still around), and FredT. People that are no longer here like NetChicken, MidnightMutilator, ThomasCrowne and Kano. All these people were mods at one time, some still are, and they've shaped what ATS is, and their influence still affects the site today. I know for a fact that they affected every one of us that was here from the start.

For instance, the official beer of ATS is Saint Paulies Girl, as ThomasCrowne used to say, and also the official authority on SR71's. The dancing bananna smiley on BTS was one of NetChicken's signature smiley's. MidnightMutilator was one of the original camp explorers for the base WoS was at one time going to (can't remember the name right now). Kano could always be counted on for well thought out responses, and was an absolute genius.

Anyways, I for one don't think that any of the contributions that people in the past should be discounted. It shapes the ATS community, and even the newbies should respect that, for ATS wouldn't be who and what it is without it.

For those who fade away from posting, often times we still come back. I liken ATS to an old comfortable hat, it might be neglected often, but it's always there when you need it. It's an old friend.

regan

btw, is there any hope that my old ATS e-mail account is still out there and I could get access to it to get old addy's from there? I don't even know if we still do e-mail accounts? Just a thought...

[edit on 1-12-2007 by regs]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join