It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoot UK teacher, say protesters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Shoot UK teacher, say protesters

news.bbc.co.uk

Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot.

Mrs Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was jailed by a court on Thursday after children in her class named a teddy bear Muhammad.

She was sentenced to 15 days for insulting religion, and she will then be deported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Can they really be serious?

Looks like this might get way out of hand. Let's hope it doesn't for everyones sake.

If my memory serves me well, I don't think they were too happy about a certain world famous boxer either.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Oh dear,BBC news 24 have just shown this story.
They said there was a crowd chanting "death to those who insult islam"-then the BBC reporter said--wait for it---sit down--

"the crowd were on the whole fairly good natured"

If this was happening in London the BBC would not be saying it was "fairly good natured",would they?

Crazy BBC fools.

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If this is such an insult to Islam, could someone please explain why they name half of thier kids by the prophets name?

Or does it have something to do with the spelling?

So i take it that calling for someone to be shot is the kind of peacefull action that the prophet would agre with eh?

The sooner they get rid of all religons.....something that i realise can never happen.....the better.

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
No doubt the UK goverment will continue to pump millions in aid into this country as well
as soon as this person was arrested all aid and help should have stopped immediately and the country isolated in every way possible

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I presume the mob will also want to execute the child who named the bear Muhammed (after himself) in the first place too? No? Thought not.

Frankly, this is getting blown out of all proportion and is absolutely ridiculous. I'm all for tolerance and understanding between faiths and cultures, but this is going way too far. It was a simple mistake, and in the end it'll be the people of Sudan who suffer; this woman went to a much poorer nation to help its children to learn and get a good start in life that they otherwise wouldn't have had. How many other well-meaning people will this incident have put off from going to places like Sudan to help with education, health and such?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Right on the button,solidshot.
Thats exactly what I would have expected them to do,It would show the world two important things-That the government cares about its people,and that it is not a money grabbing spineless entity.
That fact that the government did not do this makes me sick,but not surprised.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is why religion is a load of BS
They are so violent, they would kill someone just for calling an object a sacred name to them anyway. To me its just a name, letters put together to make a word.
I heard about this today and it really did annoy me.
I mean come on! They actually want this person killed, WHAT THE HELL!?
I thought religion was all about peace and worship and over the years its obviously changed.
I have never been for religion and this is just... i cannot type it without swearing.
The Government is a joke if they stand back and let this happen.
Any Islamics on this site? Tell me what you think about this...

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I ain't particularly religious,but it is those who have been taught a twisted version of religion by politically motivated rulers who go around calling for blood.
This can be said as much of christianity and Judaism as it can for Islam.

Truly religious people who have not been twisted by nut job rulers,or having their families tortured and killed do not go about craving the death of non believers,in my experience anyway.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What, no apologists or defenders of islam on here yet?

Maybe they're still trying to figure out how to deflect and spin this news into something to blame on the U.S. and/or Bush? That's going to be tough with this bit of news, IMO.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
No doubt they'll shoot her with weapons supplied by the Bush administration in another of their underhanded deals with radicals through the CIA.

How was that?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
A perfect example of the BS I expected to see.

But still somewhat heartening in that it's all any of them can come up with so far.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
They are now CALLING FOR THIS WOMAN'S DEATH!!!!!!! I hope it doesn't come to them killing her. Simple solution - Joint force SAS and Army Delta. Drop them in Via Choppers a few Apaches for support (kill us some radical Muslims) and get her out. A machete is no match for an M4.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think the sentiment against this teacher has less to do with what she's actually charged with and more so with a growing general disdain towards outsiders, especially with what's going on in Chad and also what is viewed as foreign meddling in the Darfur conflict.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I find this stuff scary. After all , it's the fastest growing religion on the planet. And then there's the growing Russia problem. HELP!

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
I think the sentiment against this teacher has less to do with what she's actually charged with and more so with a growing general disdain towards outsiders, especially with what's going on in Chad and also what is viewed as foreign meddling in the Darfur conflict.

But so what as far as this poor teacher is concerned. She goes to Sudan to help teach their poor children and if you are correct, they repay her for that with prison and now an attempt to make her a pawn in their dislike of "outsiders".

Still all wrong, for whatever reason is claimed.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think these people may need to realize that they can get their asses kicked anytime.

British and U/S vs Sudan?

Seriously, IT IS frightening enough. She must be emberassed...

[edit on 30-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thing is folks,this protest in Khartoum today was pretty small,and I have to say it had the feel of something concocted by the Sudanese government,in a badly thought out scheme to make them look tolerant.
The Sudanese government may have naively thought the media would say"Hey look-the people wanted her shot!Aren't the Sudanese Government good moderate chaps!"
Instead our MSM goes mental about these "protests",and continues its program of drumming up fear and hatred of people in distant lands,that most people have never met and so are easy to demonize.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You are still not getting it

Originally posted by centurion1211
But still somewhat heartening in that it's all any of them can come up with so far.

So, here you go, from the OP source:

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies (Fosis), which represents more than 90,000 Muslim students in the UK and Ireland, said it was "deeply concerned" at what was a "gravely disproportionate" verdict.

The federation's president, Ali Alhadithi, said: "What we have here is a case of cultural misunderstandings, and the delicacies of the matter demonstrate that it was not the intention of Gillian Gibbons to imply any offence against Islam or Muslims.

"We hope that the Sudanese authorities will take immediate action to secure a safe release for Gillian Gibbons."

And further, there were 1000 demonstrators, from a city of 5,000,000 people. Thats 0.02 of their population. Do you see it now?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

No, I think it's still a gross injustice to this unfortunate teacher. I'm just saying in stories like this there's often more than meets the eye as to why people are angry. Are the people over-reacting? Absolutely. Do they have a right to be angry? Maybe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join