It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overnight shift to be classified as 'probable' cancer cause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Overnight shift to be classified as 'probable' cancer cause

www.cnn.com

LONDON, England (AP) -- Like UV rays and diesel exhaust fumes, working the graveyard shift will soon be listed as a "probable" cause of cancer.
t is a surprising step validating a concept once considered wacky. And it is based on research that finds higher rates of breast and prostate cancer among women and men whose work day starts after dark.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well this news is especially disturbing to me, I'm in my eleventh year of working the third shift. And why does it have to be prostate cancer.

I'm thinking the best thing I can do is get off of this shift and get much more sunlight than I do now.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

To be totaly honest, this means nothing to me. I work 12 am - 8 am and I smoke so I guess that mean im screwd. The only thing I can hope for they have to start paying us more.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
or maybe it's that some people inately know they are prone to cancer who elect to work a night shift employment...
as a way of hiding? from the fact?

If going opposite of the natural 'circadian rhythm' ?sp?,
is something that predisposes someone to some cancers
then the insurance corporations will have a field day,
health coverage will change significantly, and one could very well be
dropped from coverage if assigned to a night shift duty.

hmmmm

[edit on 30-11-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Come on-Ban overnight shifts.NOW.
Fair is fair,smoking is banned for our health-this has to be banned too.
And while we are about it ban everything else that is bad for us-including oxygen.
(sarc)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
dont trust medical studies.
one day hey say this thing and other day they say another

apc

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This probably goes in the Duh category. You need exposure to sunlight to properly produce vitamin D, and vitamin D has been shown to prevent cancer. You can take supplements and eat vitamin D rich foods, but it's no replacement for vitamin D produced in the skin.

Combine that with other stressors from working until dawn and then probably getting a crappy day's sleep if you live in the city, it really can't be a surprise that always being up late enough to watch Conan can cause problems. Then again, if you're watching Conan, you're already showing neurological symptoms.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Exposure to sunlight every day prevents over 75% of all cancers. People who live in sunny areas of the country have less cancer than those who live in less sunny areas.

So if you're working nights and sleeping days, you're getting less sun, therefore, more prone to develop cancer. There's nothing mysterious about it.

Sensible sunlight exposure prevents skin cancer

[edit on 30-11-2007 by annestacey]

new topics

top topics

join