It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laughing in the Bible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
David stripped down to his loin cloth and danced when the Ark of the Covenant was returned to Israel, and said he'd become even more undignified.

Joy can include laughter, and while the Bible is basically a handbook for life, or actually a condensed version of the various handbooks for life from the Jewish temples, it does include humor, joy, and laughter.

Life isn't supposed to be a stoic boring serious existence. We need to have joy.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
GENESIS 3:22
"and the Lord God said, look, the man as become as one of us, knowing from good and evil: and now, what if he puts forth his hand, and takes also of the tree of life, and eats, and live forever?"
The above quote can be interpreted in many way I am sure, but for myself is no doubt that the "Gods" and the "God" in the bibles are hostile to human.

GENESIS 11:1-9
Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel [c] —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
Yes here the above quote remind us that nothing is impossible if we put our mind to it, obviously this set of mind was a great threat for "God" and "Gods"

The bibles have two side that compete for the truth, one is Human and the other is "God" and "Gods".
Which message you will take at heart?
I have chosen the message from my fellows Human, because when it says that God is in you and all around you, it mean that you also are God, it means that is no hierarchy in eternity, it means that every one of us is unique and full, it means that we originally are as good and powerful as the Gods of the bibles.

Very very wrong.

Any time God the Father refers to Himself as plural, He is referring to the Son, the Spirit, and Himself.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God."

This verse shows that the Father is has been and always will be, alongside the Son and the Sprit. Yes, the Old Testament mentions Jesus and the Holy Spirit, alongside Father God, Abba. Three in one, yet separate at the same time. God is a spirit, outside our realm. These things are not impossible there.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

Dude, the Bible is full of a message of joy. Laughter is a byproduct of joy. I can sure say that I have never laughed if I was not joyful at the time. There is nothing anywhere that says the Jesus laughed, but hanging out with 12 guys for all of that time.......there had to be a lot of funny things going on. Think about it. Thirteen guys together??

Jesus is a REAL man that lived in the world to suffer like us. All people want to do is look at the doom and gloom stories. We put far, far too serious a face on everything Christian. People need to lighten up and realize that most of the crap that happens to us is really funny!! If we are a Christ-follower, we will not experience to bad things written, because death is not bad is you wake up in heaven.

Oh well, I just wanna have fun. So, that is what I do, while honoring God with my life. You CAN actually have fun and be a Christian. I do it all the time. Proverbs 15:30 and Proverbs 15:13 show the good things that are ours if we are happy!! Happiness is knowing Christ as Savior and not having to worry about the bad junk! Cool huh? IT is up to me to be happy by receiving the good things of God.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
LAUGHING IN THE BIBLE?

Let me highlight a few incidents narrated in the Bible which has the character of subtle humor...

1) Jesus was shown a coin and asked, "To whom it belongs?"

The villains thought, "If he says, it belongs to the Government, he can be faulted against religion. Whereas if he says, it belongs to God, he can be faulted against the Government." But Jesus, after ascertaining the image in the coin from them, said. Give the coin to whom it belongs.

By asking a return question, he elicits the answer. The story ended with climax and subtle humour.

2) When people were about to stone the adulteress woman, Jesus neither supported the people nor the lady but said, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first..."

This is not the usual way one is expected to handle in such fluid circumstances. His direction to the public evokes subtle humour.

3) While throwing out the shops from the church, Jesus said, "Don't make my Father's house a house of merchandise!" His sarcastic comment creates subtle humour.

4) Jesus directed, "Fill the waterpots with water... Draw some out now and take it to the master of the feast"

Please visualise this event. Does it convey humour with something like magic?

5) Look at the sarcastic comment in lighter vein: "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house"

George Shanthakumar, India

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I would love to hear from people that read and live by the Bible to explain to me why is laughter missing in the great book.

Job 8:21 Till he fill thy mouth with laughing, and thy lips with rejoicing.

There are also over 200 verses in the Bible that refer to the emotion of being joyful. I guess laughing would fall under that.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Mannnn.... I have lost count where G-d has made me laugh..... Put a smile on my face, and make me literally sing for joy!! Hopping up and down on the spot, sheesh i mustve looked insane lol!

At my absolute worste.. I couldnt leave the house.. Couldnt get on a bus.. Yet my G-d showed me some tough love and i was soo out that door!! Then i was in every agrophobics nightmare working in London as a manager lol.... THAT is humour lol... Now i have my business that involves travelling from uk to OZ regulary lol..... I was afraid to get on a bus!!!! haha.. Mann I love Him....

In scripture that i have laughed allowed at is where Moses, who wrote the first 5 books, described himself as the most "humble man who ever lived" lol....

G-d made me smile though most when He laid His Holy Spirit on me, and i was full of "joy" frm my ankles, to the very fibires of hair on my head!! I was soo overcome with "joy" i could not talk!! And that happened in my living room and not a church.... Says loads.....

[edit on 013131p://f54Friday by Selahobed]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join