It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laughing in the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If you like to open the bible to get a good time, it is sure your are knocking on the wrong door.
Laughter is proper of man
On the other hand, if you want to look for a fundamental message, a teaching on the life , on the meaning of the suffering and death, then, you have all you need or nearly.
All what the Bible says is very serious matter no line about laughing.
Anyway no one will laugh of the misfortunes of Job, sin of David, clumsiness of Peter or death of the Christ…it will not be serious.
What if Jesus was a full of humour?
What if there was humour in his teaching?
What if one don’t have to tremble while reading the Bible?
What if one could smile while reading the Bible?
What if it was preferable to smile for better understanding of the Bible?
I would love to hear from people that read and live by the Bible to explain to me why is laughter missing in the great book.

Kacou

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I am an atheist, but I've read the Bible and studied it in detail. Rest assured that there's a lot of sense of humor in the Old Testament (more than in the New). Therefore, if you read it carefully and with no biased ideas, you could probably find something that will make you laugh. One scripture I remember that made me laugh was when God advised a prophet to better live the entire life on the attic than marrying a talkative wife (Well, that's funny...).

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Borix

Yes it is laughable.
I have not time right now, but for sure I will put down here some passage of the old and new testament that actually warn you of laughing.
Laughing in the interpretation of verses is not my concern there, what is concerning is the danger of humour that some verses are warning us about.

To be continued.

Kacou

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There is actually humor in scripture. Many of Paul's epistles have an undertone of sarcasm that, if you read seeking that, is a bit of amusing. There have been times I've found myself reading scripture, too, where I've literally laughed out loud.

Yes, the Bible is a very serious book, but so is life. Even so, God made it to where we can take something completely seriously and still laugh.

God speaks of this on several occasions. Speaking of Job, in Job 8:21, it says, "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." That Bildad the Shuhite said it could negate it, except laughter comes up more often than just that, and almost exactly the same phrase in Psalm 126:2 "Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, 'The LORD has done great things for them.'"

God isn't an angry taskmaster whose anger is kindled when we smile and burns when we laugh. If you're interested in instances of joy in scripture, you can see a topical index of the joy of the righteous here.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

Dear Kacou,

Let me ask you something: have you found very many great novels where laughing features prominently?

I haven't.
Which doesn't mean that the people depicted (at least some of them) aren't necessarily "full of humour" - it just means that there was no literary (story-telling) imperative to depict such a moment. (There are exceptions, of course.)

Biblical story-telling follows the very same rules as any other story-telling, like novels, for example. The Bible does not depict EVERY SINGLE MOMENT in the lives of the people it speaks about. Why would it - how could it?

It only describes the moments that were directly relevant to the main "story line" or the "message" it is trying to convey.

That's all there is to it. ; )

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Christ is full of (sincerity).

Laughter, no, sense of humor is for people who want to be made happy by jokes constantly, it lightens the atmospher. Alittle is not bad, but constantly without any deepness is shallow.

The war we have to go through with satan involved in our lives, eternity, perfection on so on, the message of God is serious.

Likewise (joy) is a gift of the holy Ghost.

and you see what seperates Childs joy, with grown people who lost their innocence?

Kids are sincere, they dont have a built in humor like poeple who lose their innocence, and they are very joyful, (good) ones.

But they dont need jokes to be happy, they need their joys and affection towards parents.

The apostles of God were like children. Thats why God says.

" Unless you be converted and become as children, you shall not enter into the house of God "

Not literally as children, but as children in malice and sincerity and humility.

children are last minded, they know how to follow the leader.

Same as animals. They dont joke, or laugh, or make a joke to try and be liked. But they are full of joy and love, the ones who been raised right ofcourse.

they dont talk, but are silent to us, but very loving.

God doesnt want our happiness to be in jokes alone, but in an affection we cant imagine.

Jokes last for a second, then you return to silence and thought, they take up seconds and are not want heaven is like.

So dont worry about that. Angels communicate to each other through mind and not speech I think. like animals who God is in.

God is looking for childlike souls, who have simplicity sincerity and look for an ultimate affection.

peace.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I have oftan wondered if indeed we get to meet god in the afterlife he will be a humerous guy you could share a interesting conversation with or go fishing with
at least i hope thats the case

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I am reminded of my English professor who admitted the knights of old in their speeches to maidens knew themselves it was a language waltz.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It seems like Yahweh has a dark sense of humor, that or some of the things he says can be turned in dark humor.

You raise a very good question. haha

This essay explains:

"First, one must read it in the Hebrew or, at least, a translation that attempts to preserve the rhetoric of the original Hebrew.

Secondly, expectations will play an important role in determining whether or not one misses the humor.

Thirdly, much of the humor requires that an individual be quite familiar with much of the Bible and, thus, be able to compare and contrast different passages.

Finally, one has to be willing to find dark humor funny since much of the humor does indeed involve the punishment of idolaters and wicked individuals."

[edit on 3/12/2007 by Nyorai]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Christ is full of (sincerity).

Laughter, no, sense of humor is for people who want to be made happy by jokes constantly, it lightens the atmospher. Alittle is not bad, but constantly without any deepness is shallow.

The war we have to go through with satan involved in our lives, eternity, perfection on so on, the message of God is serious.

Likewise (joy) is a gift of the holy Ghost.

and you see what seperates Childs joy, with grown people who lost their innocence?

Kids are sincere, they dont have a built in humor like poeple who lose their innocence, and they are very joyful, (good) ones.

But they dont need jokes to be happy, they need their joys and affection towards parents.

The apostles of God were like children. Thats why God says.

" Unless you be converted and become as children, you shall not enter into the house of God "

Not literally as children, but as children in malice and sincerity and humility.

children are last minded, they know how to follow the leader.

Same as animals. They dont joke, or laugh, or make a joke to try and be liked. But they are full of joy and love, the ones who been raised right ofcourse.

they dont talk, but are silent to us, but very loving.

God doesnt want our happiness to be in jokes alone, but in an affection we cant imagine.

Jokes last for a second, then you return to silence and thought, they take up seconds and are not want heaven is like.

So dont worry about that. Angels communicate to each other through mind and not speech I think. like animals who God is in.

God is looking for childlike souls, who have simplicity sincerity and look for an ultimate affection.

peace.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by JesusisTruth]

I knew the bible thumpers would show up eventually

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
I would love to hear from people that read and live by the Bible to explain to me why is laughter missing in the great book.

Kacou

only goes to show what you know

(Gen 17:17) Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?

(Gen 18:12) And Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?

(Gen 18:13) And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?

(Gen 18:15) Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.

(Gen 21:6) And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh; every one that heareth will laugh with me.

(Job 8:21) He will yet fill thy mouth with laughter, and thy lips with shouting.

(Psa 126:2) Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the nations, The LORD hath done great things for them.

(Ecc 3:4) a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

(Ecc 10:19) A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh glad the life: and money answereth all things.

(Luk 6:21) Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

(((only goes to show what you know)))
I maybe an ignorant when it comes to the bible as you like to mention to your own believe, but rest a sure that I am no ignorant of human behaviour.
Your reply only goes to show what you don’t know.
You could have also shown in your reply all the same verses that warn about laugher, but your search didn’t get there.
Please look and search for this quote below:
(Siracide chapter 30, verses 10)
(Qohélet chapter 7, verses 3)
(Luc chapter 6, verses 21 + 25)
(Jacques chapiter 4, verses 9)
It is always an ache when one wants to see the world in the way that he seems best to feet he's own certainty.
My post was not about denigration or insult, but about understanding of the bible. Point.

Kacou

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

My point that also Jesus didn’t laugh, according the gospels.
It is true that is no much description about Jesus sentiment and character.
Why is that?

Kacou

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"Bring out those men, that we might have sex with them!"

"And there was silence in heaven, for about half an hour..."

Abraham's wife claiming not to laugh at having children, and "the lord" telling her "yes, you did".

"And Abel offered meat to god, and god looked upon his offering with favour. Cain brought his offering of grain, and god looked upon his offering without favour." Classic. And the bit where god says "hey, doesn't matter what I think mate, you did a good job and should be pleased".

The look that must have been on Moses' face when he came down with the original tablets and saw them worshipping the sacred bull. HE IS RIGHT THERE, YOU IDIOTS!!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
oh yes, and God telling the Israelites that he's too angry to go into the desert with them, lest he accidentally destroy them.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

I have not time right now, but for sure I will put down here some passage of the old and new testament that actually warn you of laughing.
I showed that laughter is not missing in the Bible like you claimed. Also, the Bible doesn't have something against laughter like you claimed. The Bible only shows the necessary appropriateness of laughter.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I will now give my opinion why laugher is missing in the bibles.
Despite “reject” claim that laugher is in the bibles but not in quantity because necessary appropriateness of this very human characteristic was needed, I will tell you why.
The reason why laugher is missing in the bibles is because the bibles are SOS message send to all human.
The sender of this SOS message is non other then our self, we have send an SOS message to our self therefore it is a very serious matter and no time for laugher. But this SOS message has been infiltrated by the "God and "Gods" to make sure that man never gain eternal acknowledgement of spiritual eternity.
You see this "God" and "Gods" have created our physical body but the "soul" remain an uncreated stuff.
This SOS tells us, if you dare open your eyes to it, of a WARNING. We appear to have been a slave species.
The bibles are great books no doubt, maybe the must significant books ever written.
The bibles tell us to be concern about the "Gods", they are not what you think they are. They are masters, and they created us for a certain purpose.
As all master, they fear when Humans where seeking they own identity as a spiritual been that live for ever.
GENESIS 3:22
"and the Lord God said, look, the man as become as one of us, knowing from good and evil: and now, what if he puts forth his hand, and takes also of the tree of life, and eats, and live forever?"
The above quote can be interpreted in many way I am sure, but for myself is no doubt that the "Gods" and the "God" in the bibles are hostile to human.

GENESIS 11:1-9
Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel [c] —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
Yes here the above quote remind us that nothing is impossible if we put our mind to it, obviously this set of mind was a great threat for "God" and "Gods"

The bibles have two side that compete for the truth, one is Human and the other is "God" and "Gods".
Which message you will take at heart?
I have chosen the message from my fellows Human, because when it says that God is in you and all around you, it mean that you also are God, it means that is no hierarchy in eternity, it means that every one of us is unique and full, it means that we originally are as good and powerful as the Gods of the bibles.

"Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there...I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn vain.
Where you awake in the morning's hush
I am the soft star that shine at night in silence.
Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there, I did not die.
In memory of a lovely man from Galilee"

Kacou

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
"Man thinks, God laughs" : jewish proverb.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
" I knew the bible thumpers "

What are you talking about? I posted opne passage that describes what im trying to say.

The post is about the bible, so im giving my opinion about what the post is about, the (bible).

Btw, I dont go around (thumping) the bible on anybody who is not interested.

anyways. my point is, is that children are sincere and dont make jokes because they still are innocent.

Until they lose the innocence, which this pathetic world does to people, then they learn how to make stupid filthy jokes..

the apostles were innocent and childlike and sincere, and they had a natural joy like children have without making the jokes we make today or so and so.

thats why they also spoke more sincere and poetic. Because it was more innocent back then.

Now we have demons living in people, and nearly everybody has lost their innocence.

peace.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kacou

God laughs in Psalm 2

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join