It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phone kills Korean man!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Mobile phone kills Korean man!!!

uk.reuters.com

A 33-year-old South Korean quarry worker was found dead with a burning mobile phone stuck to his chest, police and the doctor who examined the man said on Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Weird huh? i have never trusted mobile phones i use mine rarely but we all have them right?

it disturbs me greatly when i go to work in the morning and all i see is people walking about with thier hands stuck to their heads. its like a frikken zombie movie. Thats a mass form of control if i ever saw it!!!

I always imagine an evil corparation guy sitting thier waiting to flip a switch and send the signal of doom to us all!!

but apparently this one exploded and killed him.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29/11/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Funny, I have both a Wired.com feed and the ATS news feed on my google homepage. On one side it says "Mobile phone kills Korean Man!!!" on the other it says "Mobile phone may not have killed Korean man."

Here's a link to the Wired article.

news.wired.com...

"It is difficult to conclude that the damage of internal organs was caused by the cell phone battery explosion," Yonhap quoted an unnamed medical examiner as saying.

The official was not reachable for comment, but the institute told The Associated Press that it only had preliminary results from the autopsy and it will take about 15 days to reach a final conclusion.

On Wednesday, police and a doctor who examined the body said an explosion of the battery was probably responsible for the death. LG Electronics Inc., which made the handset, said a battery explosion was almost impossible.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
OP, there is a Stephen King book called "Cell", which is along these lines, only instead of some corporate boss, it seems to be terrorists.

I personally get by just fine without one. And I would rather miss a call here and there than have one clipped to my ear and walk around talking to myself.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ya know, I read a few things in the past that include the suggestion of including a small explosive charge into the handset of standard phones.

Could this be another method of covert assasination? It would actually be very easy for them to test for explosive residue, I wonder if they have or will?

I have seen many batteries explode from many different things and I cannot believe that a standard issue phone battery can cause so much concussive force to break ribs or cause internal damage.

Something fishy is starting to go down...todays populace would freak out and lose their minds if suddenly they feared their cellphones. Anyone remember the big deal about them supposedly causing explosions at the gas pump?

I know a gaggle of people that where quite in fear at that time, some would turn their phones off and lock'em in the trunk when fueling and weird things like that.

Kooky stuff...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'll have to make a note not to buy that cell phone model.My bills are already killing me without my cell self destructing

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Cell phone batteries do get very hot when the phone is in use for a long time. My phone has a 3h battery life if the phone is constantly open and the screen is on. I tested to see how hot the phone would get, so I left it open for 3 hours and when I came back to grab it, the back of the phone (where the battery is placed) felt too hot to touch.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
How does a cell phone explode automatically? IMO, I believe it was caused by another person's mistake or desired action.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Technology goes wrong. Nothing else to it, a series of unfortunate of events within the mobile phone led to the battery exploding, which took the poor guys life.

It's a tad drastic to say there was explosives in it, or this is anything more suspicious than electronics going kaput.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan5647

It would have to be the battery that explodes when it over heats. Older model phones can have a higher chance of doing this, especially if phones that have been recalled here are being sold elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Can someone find out if it's the original battery or not? I'm guessing it's not. The practice of substituting the originals with a generic and then offering to "upgrade" for a fee to the original battery is common on this side of the world, so I won't be surprised if it's in practice in Korea as well. Generic batteries aren't exactly known for quality and tend to overheat faster (from personal experience).

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Even if it did overheat .. does anyone know if a cellphone battery exploding would cause this kind of impact damage .. ie broken ribs etc ..

it was melted to the guys chest . wouldnt an explosion propel the phone away from the guy? unless it was in his top pocket or dangling around his neck like so many people like to do .. what temprature would it require in the explosion for this to melt through someones clothes and weld itself to the victims body? and are exploding batteries capable of reaching this temprature?

to the earlier poster re: gas stations .. here in the U.K we have 'No mobile phones' signs all over our gas stations.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

to the earlier poster re: gas stations .. here in the U.K we have 'No mobile phones' signs all over our gas stations.

Annoying isn't it?

I've had so many people tell me to put my phone away at petrol stations, I usually can't even think of some snide comment for them either, just stand their dumbfounded at what some will believe.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
When Cell Phones Attack

Though I wasn't there, the descriptions I've read (vague as they are) may also be consistent with electrocution caused by something other than the phone.

The burning phone may simply be a secondary effect.

A competent investigation will require careful examination of the location and circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

Who knows? Maybe lightning struck his excavator.

For the sake of the man's family and cell phone users everywhere, I pray the investigation uncovers a conclusive cause of death.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Thas an excellent point electrocution via other means ... well we know the location.. anyone know any good weather sites so we can see what the climate was like around this guy at the time of this 'accident'

that would at least prove or discount the lightning theory.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Once again, I bring back the earlier opposing article.
news.wired.com...

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- The South Korean man whose death was initially blamed on an exploding cell phone battery appears to have died from another cause, according to a news report Thursday.

It's not likely that the phone itself did it, but it will take another few weeks before the final autopsy results come through.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Once again, I bring back the earlier opposing article.
news.wired.com...

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- The South Korean man whose death was initially blamed on an exploding cell phone battery appears to have died from another cause, according to a news report Thursday.

It's not likely that the phone itself did it, but it will take another few weeks before the final autopsy results come through.

Ty for you post .. so? if it was another cause.. in your opinion or speculation what do u think caused this and why was his phone melted?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
My first thought was along the same lines as Majic's. He could have been electrocuted. However, he was working in a rock quarry. THere are a lot of explosives used in mining and breaking up rocks. I'd be willing to bet though that someone working in that arena would know what an accidental explosion would look like.

The evidence and witness testimony, according to both articles, points to an exploding cell phone. I don't know exactly what could have caused it. I'd like to wait for the autopsy results. Off the top of my head though, I think someone planted an exploding cell phone on him. Maybe a little C-4 flattened out in the battery compartment and activated remotely... who knows.

new topics

top topics

join