It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big IED nearly hits Humvee. I mean big!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by unnamedninja

The problem isn't that Hummers aren't armored as they do provide protection against small arms. It's that the IEDs have enough explosive force to overcome the amount of armor that can be put on an Hummer. Hummers were never designed to operate against those types of threats, which is why the MRAPs were developed. Additionally, there's no Hummer factory in Iraq. They do have depots where upgrades can be done in theater, but not the entire assembly of a vehicle. No vehicle over there is completely safe against explosive threats(not even MBTs). Practicality and acceptible risk come into play as well(i.e. it's just not possible to have everyone ride in an Abrams tank).
As for the sitting around and playing cards instead of patrolling- there maybe isolated cases of that, but that is certainly not the SOP. Nobody wants to be responsible for their buddies/fellow units getting killed because they blew off their responsibilities. These types of folks are known as Blue Falcons in the military, and are highly frowned upon.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
compared to what i've seen that was a very small IED. thank god some of those guys are idiots.. it was cool to see the road bubble up like that, and it was even cooler that those soldiers went home intact that day.

these are the kind of roadside bombs you want to avoid..

www.youtube.com...

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join