It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big IED nearly hits Humvee. I mean big!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Looks like a fairly Micky Mouse set up to be honest.

It was buried too deep, the mix looked wrong and it was detonated at the wrong time. Even if this had gone off as the vehicle passed, damage would hve been limited. The wagon would have flipped, but armour wouldn't have been penetrated.

Looked pretty though.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
We've done this one before.

It's not an IED - look VERY closely just before the explosion.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If its not an IED then what is it ?

A road side explosion that happen to occur when a convoy of humvee are going by. It definitely had all the familiar simptoms of an IED.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

We've done this one before.

It's not an IED - look VERY closely just before the explosion.

Care to enlighten us then or at least give us a link to the previous thread?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Originally posted by whaaa
My question is.....

What would you do if foreign troops were riding around the good Ole USA.

Set traps
Plant bombs
Ambush
Kill and one whom assisted them
Release videos
Take pot shots
Ask my neighbours for assistance

...its quite basic really!

When you have people in there fighting that you might know, that are fighting because they have to, and to protect you, you'll understand.

Makes the situation all the more complex. I want them out of Iraq, but I don't want them to die. Apparently you do.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

Invaders and occupiers deserve to be killed when they continue their occupation and killing.

I do not want to see ANYONE, on EITHER side die.
But, whats that saying
'' the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots ''

Iraqi's have the right to murder and foreign army that is occupying their country.
Id say the same thing about Americans if someone invaded and occupied them.

It make no difference WHO is occupying, they deserve to be resisted and killed if they continue their illegial habbits.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Invaders and occupiers deserve to be killed when they continue their occupation and killing.

I do not want to see ANYONE, on EITHER side die.
But, whats that saying
'' the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots ''

Iraqi's have the right to murder and foreign army that is occupying their country.
Id say the same thing about Americans if someone invaded and occupied them.

It make no difference WHO is occupying, they deserve to be resisted and killed if they continue their illegial habbits.

I still support them.

Nothing will change that.

If your own soldiers were there you'd understand, you just can't not support them unless you really hated your country.

And then you add into the equation they are Muslims from the middle east, who believe women should cover their heads, among other things such as they can't marry a non-Muslim but a male can; at that point, I loose sympathy (not that I had much in the first place).

[edit on 12/1/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
It makes my "inside job" spider sense go off. It's a little tough for me to believe that Joe Iraqi is that sophisticated. I can't say for sure it's an inside job, but it is suspicious...

Don't ever underestimate how clever one's foe is. The guys making bombs, detonators, etc.. have gotten a lot of training. They aren't sitting on the side of the road with the Anarchist's cookbook.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Please tell me you're not an American. The notion that American soldiers deserve to die is beyond FUBAR. It's interesting the terms you chose as well- invader/occupier. I wonder what all the Iraq military, police, etc... call us, as we're fighting beside them, to help stop the violence, so their country can begin to heal.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by GT100FV]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GT100FV
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Please tell me you're not an American. The notion that American soldiers deserve to die is beyond FUBAR. It's interesting the terms you chose as well- invader/occupier. I wonder what all the Iraq military, police, etc... call us, as we're fighting beside them, to help stop the violence, so they're country can begin to heal.

You must live in a patriotic wonderland. My sources tell me that the Iraqi military and police have been so infiltrated by the insurgents that they are as big a threat to our forces as the insurgents that are non affiliated.

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house!!!

Research something that doesn't just parrot back the party line.
It may make you uncomfortable but that way you can truly DENY IGNORANCE. google is your friend.....

[edit on 1-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Please keep on topic, this forum is for discussing Military weapons technology past, present, and future, if you want to raise political issues take them over to the politics board.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
well this was a extremely larges explosive it was propably buried at the end of the road. IED are ussualy made from stripped explosive amunition either they stripped alor for one bomb (which doesnt make sense if you think about the strategy they have to pursue there not gonna use that much powder on one vehicle)) i agree this just doesnt fit in with whats the norm as far as stuff goes over there. note too there weapons are outdated mostly soviet this just doesnt make sense using that much on one explosive. kinda put yourself in there shoes. are you going to waste that much powder when less would suffice? are you going to risk if caught that much powder going unused? are you going to make sure if you have that kind of explosife that your not going to bury it to deep or that your atleast going to make sure it damages more then one vehicle? alot of things just dont add up

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by justanothergangster

Let me just correct the inaccuracies of your statement. First of all, the insurgents aren't using bombs made out of gunpowder(or any other kind of powder). Secondly, old explosive will kill you just as easily as new ones. Thirdly, the insurgents aren't concerned with using just enough explosives to get the job done. They are using the P for plenty in their calculations, and will use the same explosives against a truck as they will for an armored vehicle or tank. They aren't concerned with collateral damage either, so may have hundreds or more pounds of explosives detonating simulataneously, even in populated areas. They bury the explosives under the road, as it's harder to spot, not because it's an inside job. That's why one has a low life expectancy if they dig by the side of the road, without prior coordination, as they're open game for the military, and will be engaged.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i never said gunpowder but almost all explosives are a powder of some sort (chordite for example) and im saying theyre not as stupid as your making them sound they use tactics and they arent going to waste that much explosive material on one explosive and then bury it completely under the road where most of its energy is going to be halted by trying to break through asphalt. you have to remember that alot of these insurgents were in the iraqi military and were in the war with iran. some are veterans of the afghan invasion by the USSR and the rest have been trained by people with explosives experience. my point is they arent stupid and this was a extremely stupid attack and a flamboyant waste of resources. it just doesnt stack up with what they normally do. also if they had something this big why didnt they set it off on a crowded street or where there are more soldiers that could be hurt by it. doesnt make sense.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by justanothergangster]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
i never said gunpowder but almost all explosives are a powder of some sort (chordite for example)

Most IEDs in Iraq that target vehicles are made of old munitions left over from the initial invasion. When we first attacked much of the Iraqi Army disppeared, leaving their weapons and ammunition unsecured. There were tens of thousands of unused rifles, machine guns, mortars and artilley shells left just sitting around. This is how they arm themselves. It doesn't take a genius to turn a 155mm shell into an anti-vehicle IED.

and im saying theyre not as stupid as your making them sound they use tactics and they arent going to waste that much explosive material on one explosive

This wasn't a particularly big explosion, believe it or not. One or two decent sized arty rounds would do as much damage. Burying it too deep was a schoolboy error, but mistakes do happen. There is a trade off between concealing the device and dampening the explosive effect. These muppets got it wrong.

my point is they arent stupid and this was a extremely stupid attack and a flamboyant waste of resources. it just doesnt stack up with what they normally do.

It was a stupid attack. But it does stack up with what they do. The media doesn't report failed attacks because there are enough that work. We'd never hav heard of this one if it hadn't been stuck on youtube. However there are more attacks like this that are ballsed up than there are successful ones. They're not all steely eyed dealers of death. Sometimes they are pretty inept, thank God.

also if they had something this big why didnt they set it off on a crowded street or where there are more soldiers that could be hurt by it. doesnt make sense.

The road in question must have been regularly used by troop convoys, making it ideal for an attack. This is a demonstration of why you need to vary your route. Unfortunately there are only so many routes you can take.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Some reckon you can see a 120mm mortar round coming in just before the explosion -

blog.wired.com...

- but this seems to be debated.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It could be a mortar round with an old fuse, but it is not likely. I think its just a mutated camel spider.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This was on Australian news a few weeks ago, a army offishal explained to us it wasent a ied but a land mine with augmentations and that the receiver clicked in to late.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by justanothergangster

Most military explosives are plasticized(i.e. Semtex, C4, PETN, etc..).
The reason explosives(IED or landmine) are put under paved surfaces is that it's easy to spot areas where digging on the road has occurred. Also, typically one is looking for suspicious things above the road(garbage, animal carcasses, misc. debris, cars) that look out of place. By having the weapon under the road, it gives more element of surprise, and makes visual countermeasures more difficult. Again, insurgents typically use large amounts of explosive, as armor has made it more difficult to kill vehicles, so they just make bigger bombs. I had some friends from my unit killed by an SVBIED that had about 400 pounds of explosive in it, which is enough to kill about any kind of vehicle. There have been IEDs rigged in a daisy chain fashion that had kill zones of several hundred meters(i.e. numerous 155mm howitzer shells rigged to go off, with overlapping blast radii). Using a lot of explosives isn't a stupid tactic on the enemy's part. It does make his task more difficult though, as the logistics of setting up the IED/mines is time consuming.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Warms my heart every time I see a bungled IED and think about the people who are still alive and unharmed because of it.

Jim_Kraken, lol you can see a conspiracy in everything.
Head over to www.liveleak.com and you will see plenty of videos submitted by the brave soldiers in Iraq, plenty of them involve IEDs and them talking about IEDS and the terrorist's tactics etc.

One conspiracy there is though, and that is the Humvees. You dont hear about these things getting destroyed all over the news and the amount of soldiers who get killed in them, but plenty do. Just look at the amount of videos you can see on liveleak about Hummers and IEDS, then think about how many incidents happen which are NOT even recorded and uploaded to the net. Gives you an idea of how large the problem is.

A lot of guys view those hummers as deathmobiles and are very nervous to ride in them, since they are not armoured and are a huge target to the terrorists. I read a blog of a soldier stationed over there, he said instead of patrols, he and plenty of others would find an abandoned car park and play cards all day or shoot at tin cans.

So many of those Hummers get destroyed that they built a humvee factory in Iraq because making them there is cheaper than sending them from the US. But someone is getting very rich selling these to the US army.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join