It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop the M.A.D.D.ness!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Although Candy Lightner, a California housewife, is probably the best known of MADD's organizers, MADD or Mothers Against Drunk Drivers was actually established by a group of women outraged after the death of a teenage girl killed by a repeat-offender drunk driver. The noble goal of the original organization was to offer the families of victims both support and a voice. (MADD ~ About Us)

Yet from these humble beginnings nearly a quarter century ago, MADD has evolved into one of the most widely supported, "well-liked", powerful and altogether unchallenged non-profit lobbying organizations in America. Now an international organization with over 600 chapters, MADD claims at least partial responsibility for more than 2,300 anti-drunk driving laws passed since 1980. That's 2,300 new laws in just two decades!!! And they aren' t done yet!

Last year 36% of MADD's $50 million budget came from government grants and corporations it partners with, like the fundraising telemarketing firm DialAmerica Marketing, Inc. Another 18% came from chapter memberships and licensing... after all this is a business. And a whopping 46% of the $50 million came from individual contributions from those that MADD seeks to restrict with increasingly vigilant legislation.

A partial timeline of the History of MADD efforts:

~Mothers Against Drunk Drivers is established in California.
~The first two chapters of MADD are created in California and Maryland.

~President Reagan announces a Presidential Task Force on drunk driving and invites MADD to serve on it.
~MADD backs a resolution enacted into law by Congress to establish the first National Drunk and Drugged Driving Awareness Week in December 1982.
~MADD grows to 100 chapters by year-end.

~Federal "21" minimum drinking age bill is enacted
~MADD goes international

~Telemarketing programs spur growth in grassroots support and serve as a major public awareness campaign to educate the general public on drunk driving issues

~MADD submits an amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court opposing an effort by several states to rule the federal Age 21 law ruled unconstitutional. The law was successfully upheld.

~The infamous Kentucky Bus Crash outrages the public, adds monumental support and clout to MADD, and offers the lobbying organization it's first "unoffical" trademarked tragedy... On May 14, 1988, a school bus full of children, teens and chaperones traveled down Interstate 71 to Radcliff, Kentucky, on the way home from a church outing at a Cincinnati amusement park. MADD calls the infamous Kentucky Bus Crash "the worst alcohol-related traffic crash in U.S. history" and still devotes much of it's marketing effort to this emotional (albeit historic) plea: (A legacy of hope)
~Omnibus Anti-Drug Abuse Act is signed. Included in this landmark bill is an amendment extending to all victims of DWI the same compensation rights offered to victims of other crimes. Another amendment creates the Drunk Driving Prevention Act (Section 410) to increase incentives for key state DWI law enactment. Also adopted was the Alcohol Beverage Labeling Act, requiring warnings on alcohol containers.
~Impaired Driving Issues Compendium is created and ten companion workshops scheduled to instruct judges, legislators, law enforcement officials and MADD members on how to amend and implement stronger anti-DWI laws.
~All 50 states now had passed Age 21 as the minimum legal drinking age.

~MADD files an amicus brief with the U.S. Supreme Court over the constitutionality of sobriety checkpoints. Following a hearing, the court rules in favor of checkpoints. MADD later establishes the week of July 4th as National Sobriety Checkpoint Week.

~Congress passed the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA), which included an updated, more accessible Section 410 program to more effectively encourage states to adopt key anti-DUI legislation; MADD had a key role in shaping the program.
~The first national "Rating the States" Survey is released, drawing nationwide attention to the status of state and federal efforts against drunk driving.
~The Transportation Employee Testing Safety Act passes, requiring alcohol as well as drug testing of transportation employees in safety-sensitive jobs, including random, pre- employment and post-crash testing. MADD constituents helped turn the tide and secure House action after the Senate had already taken action 11 times.

~MADD testifies on Capitol Hill on issues including funding for the Section 410 incentive grant program and on the Sensible Advertising and Family Education (SAFE) Act, to require extending the current health and safety warnings on alcohol beverage containers to all alcohol advertising.

~Fifth state passes a law lowering the legal blood alcohol limit from .10 to .08.

~MADD participates in the Secretary of Transportation's Summit on Highway Safety, announcing a proposed goal of reducing alcohol-related traffic fatalities to 11,000 or fewer by the year 2005.
~MADD begins holding public policy institutes to train state public policy liaisons in DUI issues and legislative how-to techniques.
~Federal Zero Tolerance Law was passed by the U.S. Congress tying federal highway funds to the passage of a state-level version of the Zero Tolerance Law.

~President Clinton and Senator Dole announce support for crime victims' constitutional amendment

~MADD commemorates the tenth anniversary of the Kentucky Bus Crash, the deadliest drunk driving crash in U.S. history killing 27 and injuring 30 others.
~U.S. Senate overwhelmingly passes federal .08 bill although House refuses to vote on amendment. Congress adopts a $500 million incentive grant program.
~"Zero Tolerance" legislation is passed in all 50 states at the threat of revoked highway funding.

~The MADD National Board of Directors unanimously votes to change the organization's mission statement to include the prevention of underage drinking.

~MADD holds its 20th anniversary rally outside the U.S. Capitol where 600 activists call upon Congress to enact a national .08 BAC standard.
~U.S. Congress passes a national .08 BAC measure as part of the Federal Transportation Appropriations Bill. President Clinton signs the bill into law on October 23, 2000.

~MADD holds national news conferences with support from congressional leaders about the impact of alcohol advertising on youth and opposition to proposed legislation to rollback the federal excise tax on beer.
~MADD testifies before Senate and Congressional leaders on the reauthorization of the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21), a six-year highway funding bill.
~Thirty-four states and the District of Columbia pass the illegal .08 blood alcohol concentration law by 2002.
~MADD updates its image with a new logo and slogan: GET MADD ALL OVER AGAIN.

Yet after all this success, what does MADD still have to be mad about? It's simple really... their own success!

Between 1980 - the year MADD was founded - and 1994, alcohol-related traffic deaths dropped by a dramatic 43 percent. Since then, the annual drunk driving death toll has stalled at approximately 16,000 to 17,000. Meanwhile drunk driving arrests and corresponding punishments continue to increase exponentially as mandated by the government lobbyists and watchdogs on the angry mothers payroll. Yay team MADD!

"The good news is that since 1980, an estimated 200,000 alcohol-related traffic deaths have been prevented," said MADD National President Millie I. Webb. "But, the bad news is that since 1994 the war on drunk driving has flatlined." Oh no, we won the war! What's a $50 million lobbying organization to do?

New 8-Point Plan to GET MADD ALL OVER AGAIN!

In response to this "plateau" of success the former support group turned political powerhouse convened a National Impaired Driving Summit in January to bring together leading experts to identify new strategies in the "War on Drinking". Oops, did I say that? I meant "Drunk driving." Um, sure I did.

MADD Gets MADDer

1) Resuscitate the nation's efforts to prevent impaired driving by re-igniting public passion and calling on the citizens and the nation's leaders to "Get MADD All Over Again."

2) Increase DWI/DUI enforcement, especially the use of frequent, highly publicized sobriety checkpoints, which have been proven one of the most effective weapons in the war on drunk driving (and the Constitution!)

3) Enact primary enforcement seat belt laws in all states because seat belts are the best defense against impaired drivers. MADD recommends the federal government give states a brief incentive period, followed by withholding federal highway funds from states that do not enact primary belt laws.

4) Enact tougher, more comprehensive sanctions geared toward higher-risk drivers -- repeat offenders, drivers with high blood-alcohol levels, and DWI offenders driving with suspended licenses would be subject to a new low in tolerance... the 0.5 BAC limit, coming soon to speed trap near you!

5) Develop a dedicated National Traffic Safety Fund to $upport ongoing and new priority traffic safety programs.

6) Reduce underage drinking -- the No. 1 youth drug problem - through improving minimum drinking age laws, adopting tougher alcohol advertising standards and increasing enforcement and awareness of laws such as "zero tolerance drinking-driving" and sales to minors.

7) Increase beer excise taxes to equal the current excise tax on distilled spirits. Higher beer taxes are associated with lower rates of traffic fatalities and youth alcohol consumption.

8) Reinvigorate court-monitoring programs to identify shortcomings in the judicial system and produce higher conviction rates and stiffer sentences for offenders.

"In this new era of homeland security, we cannot forgo the domestic fight against drunk driving" said MADD President Webb.

So if you liked them before when they lowered the BAC limit from 1.0 to 8.0, raised the drinking age from 18 to 19 to 21 or any of the other 2,300 anti-"drunk" driver laws they passed the first two decades... then you'll LOVE the new improved "war on you" with more sobriety checkpoints, tougher seatbelt enforcement, judging of judges, lowering the legal BAC to 0.5 for repeat offenders and increasing beer taxes!!!

ENOUGH ALREADY MADD!!! If I have to know when to say when, you should too! You won already! Go celebrate or something. Have a damn beer.

###

$$$ For another look a the MADD/Government conspiracy consider when MADD got the BAC limit lowered to 0.8 allowing increased county revenues from DUI's. Did your state raise the speed limit around that same time? More DUI revenue means less need for speeding tickets. Death rates be damned, as long as it all evens out financially! $$$

Please consider copying this essay and e-mailing your buddy list with the FACTS on MADD. If power corrupts; then absolute power corrupts absolutely. No lobbying entity with this much power should go unchallenged.

STOP THE M.A.D.D.ness!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
2) Increase DWI/DUI enforcement, especially the use of frequent, highly publicized sobriety checkpoints, which have been proven one of the most effective weapons in the war on drunk driving (and the Constitution!)

7) Increase beer excise taxes to equal the current excise tax on distilled spirits. Higher beer taxes are associated with lower rates of traffic fatalities and youth alcohol consumption.

2) Already underway here in the college town of State College, PA. With a steady population of around 70,000. 45,000 of which are students, Police report that D.U.I's are on the rise. Of course if you think logically about this, there obviously aren't more people drinking and driving, it's enforcement! The Police are out of control here. Students = money, and I think you'll see a trend in college towns throughout the country of higher D.U.I arrests. So sad but there doesn't seem to be anything the average guy can do. I don't have a car up here so I guess I don't have to worry, but with the lower BAC's comes the chance for the cops to stop you on the street for being a drunk in public and find something to fine you for.

7) Fat chance ladies.

I'm with you 100% RANT, these women and their influential tentacles need to come in contact with some harsh opposition or they'll build enough momentum to overthrow any nay sayers. What can we do? Who's going to side with some rowdy, drunk ass students? I'm sure there are others out there who don't like how far it's going but you can't really go against this kind of grain if you have something to lose.

*EDIT: I just remeber sitting in the courthouse listening to everyone's stories when I was struck by a particular guy who got a D.U.I for being at a 0.09 BAC. He was from Maryland and had no idea about our laws up here. He claimed to only have had two beers and it seemed like a shame. Especially when he brought up his medical practice and how the D.U.I was going to put him in a very bad position financially if anyone found out. Just look how the liberal media tore up Bush after they learned of his mishap. This guy is on a more personable level since I heard the full story straight from his mouth and I can't help thinking that it's a damn shame. I'm not saying it's alright to drink and drive, but this guy got screwed.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by insite]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
I'm with you 100% RANT, these women and their influential tentacles need to come in contact with some harsh opposition or they'll build enough momentum to overthrow any nay sayers. What can we do? Who's going to side with some rowdy, drunk ass students? I'm sure there are others out there who don't like how far it's going but you can't really go against this kind of grain if you have something to lose.

You hit the nail on the head insite on all counts. In fact, the increased DUI arrests they point to as "proof" they need more funding and influence is from their efforts, funding and influence!!! The Constitution has taken an abject beating the past 20 years as quite noticeably traceable to this one group. And they are far from "angry mothers" anymore... they are executives, lobbyists, lawyers... A HIGH DOLLAR, HIGH PROFILE UNCHALLENGED LOBBYING MACHINE! $$$

And it's not just ranting college kids. Make no mistake. I'm a 34 year old white collar executive (at least I used to be). Getting three lifetime DUI roadblocks now is like a freaking DEATH SENTENCE. I can't drive (period) for 5 years. No wrecks, no nothing. Roadblocks and random stops in a particulary greedy county. Yet if I complain... I'M THE BAD GUY. Only law abiders are punished now. The sociopaths still drink and drive with no license.

Now I don't drink or drive OR work! The tide is turning "ladies." I'm MADD at YOU!

Talk about it. Send e-mails to friends and MADD. Don't contribute. And don't stop pushing back until they go back to being a real support group for VICTIMS and not an entity out to create VICTIMS OF THE STATE!!!

[edit on 26-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
$50 Million US budget? Whoa! This is no little operation here.

In Canada thanks to these drip heads, DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol), charges have skyrocketed and the cost is very high all around. How many lives have been saved? Difficult to say as car accidents continue to increase due to speeding, agressive driving, and crowded roads.

Somehow MADD is tied to the NWO as a way to justify draconian police actions against motorists eg. checkpoints.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
$50 Million US budget? Whoa! This is no little operation here.

Did you happen to notice when grants, funding and political influence skyrocketed for MADD?

~The infamous Kentucky Bus Crash outrages the public, adds monumental support and clout to MADD, and offers the lobbying organization it's first "unoffical" trademarked tragedy... On May 14, 1988, a school bus full of children, teens and chaperones traveled down Interstate 71 to Radcliff, Kentucky, on the way home from a church outing at a Cincinnati amusement park. MADD calls the infamous Kentucky Bus Crash "the worst alcohol-related traffic crash in U.S. history" and still devotes much of it's marketing effort to this emotional (albeit historic) plea: (A legacy of hope)

So tragedy is actually a "good thing" for fundraising. Notice how since alcohol related fatalitites are down 43%, they consider the mission "stalled" at only $50 million per year? Why, they need more DEATHS! It's over MADD. You won!!! But it's never over with lobbyists is it? Not when that's your living.

That Kentucky bus crash is now practically an urban legend it's been retold in so many places so many times. People think IT JUST HAPPENED and in their state. That little disinformation is by design friends.

Tragedy = $$$. Success is failure. Welcome to the mad, mad world of MADD.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Always have. Although I've never driven ( since my early 20's) totally wrecked.
what happened?
If I am throwing a party, I'll drink everyone under the table.
If I am attending one, two drink right up front & club soda for the rest of the night.
It's simply a nail short of crucifixtion to get busted for that noise in the US - kiss your job goodbye, pay thousands in additional insurance....BAH!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
It's simply a nail short of crucifixtion to get busted for that noise in the US - kiss your job goodbye, pay thousands in additional insurance....BAH!

You're right. It is crucifixtion, but what complicates the matter is SOME PEOPLE NEED TO BE CRUCIFIED, but the clear majority don't. So who's right? MADD is for manditory sentencing across the board. No mercy. All get painted with the same broad brush strokes.

I've found even mentioning this subject (that MADD is out of control) elsewhere gets you BOO'ed right off the bat. MADD walks on water according to most people. Even on this board I've had that 1988 Bus crash thrown in my face previously (though at the time, I didn't know it was a 16 year old case).

Yet, I don't see much (if any) MADD support in this thread. Does the listing of those 2,300 new laws put a few former pro-MADD people on the fence? Or all the other invasions having nothing to do with drinking and driving per se, like increased drinking ages and BEER taxes? Does the massive funding turn people off? Please tell us. This has been a one sided war for too long.

Let's play focus group and figure out how to control Drunk Driving without letting MADD control us.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
MADD can be placed in the same category as "Zero Tolerance" in our schools.
Is it right to deny a child an education because he pointed his finger, in a mock gun style at a class mate, and went "bam-bam, you're dead?"
A point of reason as to test/prosecute, that is unfourtunately left to the "Barney Fifes" & "Serpico" wannabes patrolling our streets, is not a working solution.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well here's your support for MADD. I think that everything that can be done to stop drunk driving should be done. Now before you start in on me I'll just say that I drink. And yes, in my earlier years I would drive as well. I don't now. Thats what having kids does to you. Also you're looking at this as just for the sober. It's also FOR the drinker. I can't imagine how I would feel if I killed someone while drinking. MADD keep up the good work. And thank you.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I do not know of anyone that is "drunk" between .08 and .1 BAC.

Maybe if your a 45lbs little girl you might be.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'M all for a level 0.00. There is a difference between drunk and LEGALLY drunk. And studies have shown that even small amounts of alcohol impair slightly. It could be the difference between stopping 2 feet shorter. And I assure you, you would never mistake me for a 45lb girl.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Since the first of the year, in my state, anyone convicted of a 'OMVI' has to get special license plates, a scarlet letter of sorts. Also, they legal limit was dropped to .8 from .1. In the past these plates were issued at the judges discretion and hardly ever doled out. Now, it's mandatory. It takes very little alcohol to put you at .8, imho, yet you're in as much trouble as someone who blows a .2.

I'm not supporting drinking and driving in anyway shape or form, don't get me wrong. It's just odd that a few months ago it was OK to be at .8, now its not? At least in my state, a DUI conviction NEVER comes off your record, ever! Someone could blow a .81 and has the same consequences as someone that blows a .2+, which is 5 days in jail and a minimum of $2000 in court fees/fines. You are also penalized if you don't incriminate yourself by taking the breath test. If you refuse, it's a 90-day suspension, 15 if you take it. (No work privs) � that suspension is by the motor vehicle bureau. You also get a court suspension. Double jeopardy? I think some common sense should apply. Someone getting in trouble for being just slightly over the legal limit gets punished way too much, imho.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Well here's your support for MADD. I think that everything that can be done to stop drunk driving should be done. Now before you start in on me I'll just say that I drink. And yes, in my earlier years I would drive as well. I don't now. Thats what having kids does to you. Also you're looking at this as just for the sober. It's also FOR the drinker. I can't imagine how I would feel if I killed someone while drinking. MADD keep up the good work. And thank you.

That's fine interpid. You're in the majority I'm sure. But saying "everything that can be done to stop drunk driving should be done" has at it's roots an abject fallacy. That being, you can't STOP drunk driving.

I submit that everything that can be done to REDUCE drunk driving has been done, and done well by MADD as evident in their own cited successes and "plateau" of a 43% reduction in death rates A DECADE AGO.

Don't you see that increased check points and lowered BAC limits actually INCREASES DUI arrests, but does nothing to stop drunk driving? Their own data supports the notion that nothing more can be done. A ten year plateau in reduction. TEN YEARS.

Yet the continuous lowering of the bar continues. Surely it must stop somewhere, or it's a slippery slope to prohibiton. Now that sounds crazy right now. MADD isn't for prohibition! Are they?

Twenty years ago, you wouldn't have guessed they'd be successfully lobbying for increased beer taxes and a 0.5 BAC either. What will MADD want next? Ask yourself. A 0.5 BAC limit for all drivers? 0.3? It's not out of the question friend. It's on the AGENDA.

I submit that those 200,000 lives MADD claims saving the past 24 years, will PALE in comparison to the soon to be MILLIONS of lives it ruins. People with families, jobs, homes to pay for and food to buy. MADD is only selfishly seeking continued relevance and power after a well fought war they WON 10 years ago. I submit they no longer care about saving you or I... only saving themselves!

Again, I'm not mad at you intrepid. I understand where YOU are coming from. Yet, MADD I don't anymore. They make ME MADD.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Sh*t F*ck.
I hate this country is so #ing stupid with all their gay laws.
And i heard that new drinking laws where the might raise the drinking age to 24.
And they wonder why there is such a problem with drug!

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Eternal]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eternal
Sh*t F*ck.
I hate this country is so #ing stupid with all their gay laws.
And i heard that new drinking laws where the might raise the drinking age to 24.
And they wonder why there is such a problem with drug!

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Eternal]

Well the drinking law is new to me. BUT I find it funny that you can go to war and die for your country before you can have a wine cooler.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Well the drinking law is new to me. BUT I find it funny that you can go to war and die for your country before you can have a wine cooler.

As long as you arent fighting a war within America it isn't much of a problem. Except if you fight in a Muslim country like Iraq (which seems to be the trend these days) and you can't buy alcohol at all.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I understand what you are saying, and no you can't totally stop foolish people from doing it. But do all you can. Here's an idea, put a cop at the exit to a bar. If you blow over they tell you to park it and find another way home. Now that would stop a lot, but does nothing for someone drinking at home, however it would be a BIG improvement.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Man, I hate MADD. They're ruining my fun. My car runs so much smoother after I've had a few drinks.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying, and no you can't totally stop foolish people from doing it. But do all you can. Here's an idea, put a cop at the exit to a bar. If you blow over they tell you to park it and find another way home. Now that would stop a lot, but does nothing for someone drinking at home, however it would be a BIG improvement.

That would be IDEAL for you and I, but not MADD or the government, both of which rely on DUI arrests for funding. It's a sad cycle. The cops COULD do that, but don't. They wait down the street. Actually, I've heard they can arrest you walking to your car if your keys are in your hand and you are intoxicated. So in this pro-prosecution environment, even your example would not work. It's all about money now. They don't want to stop drunk driving; they want to PUNISH it.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Intrepid that's an excellent idea. I'm already brainstorming some additions to it. How 'bout we let the bouncers do it. They're already standing there, already being paid. And if they let anyone who's driving out, when that person is stopped for a high BAC then they can fine the bar, like how liquor stores get fined for selling to minors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join