It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers hijack web search results

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Hackers hijack web search results

news.bbc.co.uk

While computer security researchers have seen small-scale attempts to subvert search results before now, the sheer scale of this attack dwarfed all others.

"This was fairly epic," said Alex Eckelberry, head of Sunbelt Software - one of the firms that uncovered the attack.

Mr Eckelberry said tens of thousands of domains, many based in China and only a couple of days old, were used in the vanguard of the attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.networkworld.com
www.silicon.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
EXCLUSIVE: Med Network DNS Hijack, A Web Exploit That May Spell Cyber-Disaster

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
We all know this happens often, for what this report is say though this one was much larger then all the others. That is a sign that this is not going away, and its getting worse. Some of the searches that were poisoned were "hospice" and "Christmas gifts". All I can say at this pint is I hope none of the fellow ats people got hijacked.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
"cotton gin and its effect on slavery" got me. The bottom search result is the dodgy site. But running Firefox rather than IE, I've got nothing to worry about.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Thanks for posting.
Running fire fox, is that still used through windows? Just asking because the report said it is looking for holes in windows.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This was discussed earlier in this thread:
Search Google, Click to Massive Malware Attacks?

I just want to add a bit to watch_the_rocks' suggestion though -- use the NoScript extension. It disables the malicious scripts they might hide within the hidden IFRAME of a bogus web-page.

NoScript

Check it out. I feel naked and vulnerable on the 'net without it.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Ya Firefox is a browser based on the Mozilla build for windows. Its customizable, with user built scripts coming out all the time.

Websites loaded on these domains were booby-trapped with malicious software that looked for vulnerabilities in copies of Microsoft's Internet Explorer used to browse them.

Seems the hackers targetted "Unpatched" Internet Explorer users.

Firefox 1, IE 0

new topics

join