It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods, you can't be serious

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I made a thread about HEMP, and it was closed because I was talking about illegal activities?! What the frick happened to denying ignorance?

Go ahead and close this one too, I just lost whatever respect I had for this place.

Not that it matters at all now, but there isn't anybody in this world that's getting high off of the plant I was talking about.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Did you actually READ the link masqua gave concerning the policy on such topics? If you did then there wouldn't be a need for this thread, would there?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I did read it, and aside from keeping ats's great name out of whatever trouble you seem to think the word hemp is going to get you into, I don't see how it was relevant at all.
Please note the sarcasm. Not trying to argue, this is just stupid.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by alaskan]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I was just waiting for your thread to be closed from the minute you posted it.
There are certain things you cannot say on ATS. Actually, there only really one thing: drugs.
There's a zero tolerance policy on them, whether you're talking about ordering 2 grams from the waiter in a café in Amsterdam or facing death in Indonesia for smuggling.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT DRUGS

This place's motto is deny ignorance for crying out loud.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT DRUGS

From the OP of the closed post;

by alaskan
Any time it's brought up in conversation, or just marijuana being illegal in general, I tell everyone around me about all the benefits and uses it has.

Seems to me you were.

[edit on 29/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

You must have basic rules in your house surely?

No urinating on the TV..
No putting out your ciggies on the cat etc..

You'd ask politely that someone refrain from doing that?.

As It happened I read the thread too.
Yeah what you said made some sense but it clearly states you can't talk about that stuff here.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
But you mentioned pot in your post: ". . . or just marijuana . . ."
I know, a bit absurd, going from this wiki entry;

[hemp] is often used to refer only to Cannabis strains cultivated for industrial (non-drug) use

Perhaps you could try to repost the thread but just don't mention anything pertaining to drugs.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, would a discussion of either the use of hemp as a material for clothing, etc or of medicinal cannabinoids also be disallowed?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
I made a thread about HEMP, and it was closed because I was talking about illegal activities?! What the frick happened to denying ignorance?

Go ahead and close this one too, I just lost whatever respect I had for this place.

Not that it matters at all now, but there isn't anybody in this world that's getting high off of the plant I was talking about.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What did you expect alaskan? Something reasonable? Reason requires perspective. Something revolutionary? Not gonna happen any time soon with or without non-illicit hemp products. I enjoy watching the mods beat on and gang slag such ideas expressd out of innocence and curiousity. Let's me know the value set and NIMBY-istcs involved in "turf" protection.

Two legs good, four legs better.

Vic

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Perhaps you could try to repost the thread but just don't mention anything pertaining to drugs.

Exactly. I understand the "hemp" issue, its uses and why you posted it in Fragile Earth. But sadly there is also a strong drug connection, and it's almost inevitable that "smoking hemp", its use a drug or something similar will be raised during the discussion. As you can see it's complicated. Do we allow one thread about the industrial uses of hemp, just to have the thread trashed someone mentions smoking it? And where is the line drawn with topics with a drug connection?

The biggest problem is automatic filtering. How do you tell a "filter" that the discussion is about the practical uses of hemp and not the illegal use of hemp?

Sure, there is discussion value in some drug-related topics, BUT that would be that a fair amount of members will be blocked from ALL the topics on ATS. Thus we compromise. No talk about drug use, and no one will be blocked from ATS by auto filters, nor will any members be banned because they admit to illegal activity...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Seems to me you were.

I mentioned it coming up in conversation. That's it.

Killing people is illegal, but you don't close every thread where somebody mentions the word murder. Even following the rules, this is retarded.

You couldn't just edit out two words? Do you get some kind of special reward for closing threads, or are you just that... nevermind, not worth arguing about.

I get it now, the alien/end of the world/magic/everything else website has some kind of reputation to protect. I apologize

[edit on 29-11-2007 by alaskan]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
No urinating on the TV..

Ah! so that's why my TV won't turn on

You couldn't just edit out two words? Do you get some kind of special reward for closing threads, or are you just that... nevermind, not worth arguing about.

Why should the mods answer your questions if you are going to act like a four year old? hmm

[edit on 29-11-2007 by infinite]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I stop myself from making an insult, you make a pee joke... and I'm acting like a four year old?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Heyy. That was MY pee joke..

He was quoting the wise words of wisdom wisely weccomending that you let it drop... Weally.

You aren't going to change the policy of a long standing board by causing a drama out of a simple,basic rule.

No threads involving the D-word

What is it that you don't get?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Oh I get it, I just think it's ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Our stance on topics such as this has long been clear. No matter that the reasons are unfortunately out of our control, and that even I would personally prefer to cover such topics... the fact remains that we have given the issue serious consideration (repeatedly) and remain committed to our original decision.

But we should be clear that "automated censors" and "domain profiling" systems are not the only reason.

First of all, for topics such as the advocacy of legalizing many currently illegal drugs, there are websites and groups far better equipped than we to push that ball forward.

Second, even though certain discussions around the issues of drugs may be appropriate within the context of speculative adult conversation, ATS is a domain open to all with no checks or restrictions as to age.

Thirdly, even the best-intended discussion of certain topics will end up attracting a category of participants that may likely detract from a proper intellectual examination of important issues. Drug use being one, hacking being another, file sharing being yet another... you see the point.

Perhaps when our traffic levels reach 2 million unique monthly users (current 830k +/-) our domain may have the gravitas whereby concerns over content/domain profiling are mitigated. Until then we need to be concerned about such topics in our efforts to ensure that the threads our members create are seen by the broadest possible spectrum of people.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Agreed fellow Alaskan... Many illegal activities are discussed here. The key point is that members do not admit taking part in them.... Killing etc.

Discussing the legality and illegality of immigrants in the U.S. should be held in no different light. Neither should discussing whether or not our government had an illegal role in 911.

For what is this country coming to?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Hey You're enitled to your opinion of course

I think threads about Reptillians are ridiculous,but there's no way I'm going to try and tell ATS to stop printing threads about them.
Just find a different topic that does interest you and contribute to that instead.

There's no conspiracy about the topic you brought up. Just a simple business concern that ATS doesn't want to be brought up on any Drug related results on search engines.

It affects the 'PG license' in the same way swearing or sex would.

It's just a happy family site is all.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Every sensible drug topic that has been discussed on ATS has ALWAYS turned into a "stoners unite" thread and results in everyone talking about their own personal experience.

And, we have to remember, some of our members are below 16, a do recall afew who were below 14.

So, you now know why ATS has zero tolerance policy to the discussion of drugs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join