It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanking Ban Proposed ~ Massachusetts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Spanking Ban Proposed ~ Massachusetts

www.cnn.com

Lawmakers are set to consider a proposed ban on spanking children in Massachusetts. WHDH's Byron Barnett reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If this happens in my state, then I guess I'll just
go to jail and be an outlaw. Cuz there ain't nobody
gonna dictate to me HOW to discipline my own kids.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I thought it was already illegal to spank.

While I believe in spanking, I only need to about once a year. My oldest daughter once said to me that she's going to call children services. I told her she'd better be ready to move to a foster home too.

Today, my kids would rather be at my house than moms where there's order instead of chaos.

The behavior of kids in our sad US culture today is terrible compared to 20 years ago. That shows me that 'Time-Out' is NOT the way.

I see kids telling their parents how it is going to be. I see then cussing at the hand that feeds them, I see kids sitting around all day playing GAMES instead of working, cleaning or learning.

I see selfishness and disrespect - THAT is what is going to rule us when we're old.

Parents are getting WEAK these days - letting their kids do whatever they wish, not work around the house and dictate what's up!?!?!

NOT in MY house!

Sorry about MY luck!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Once again the gubment is restricting parenting. That's what's wrong with our kids now!!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What's further wrong with this bill is that the fines collected
from the violators would go to a public awareness program.

LOL, I think I'm already aware of what needs doing

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
...or maybe you need to learn to communicate with your kids instead? I know it's hard and you have to draw on ill experiences from when you were kids, but it's just better that way.
We have that law in Denmark for several years and by now noone here complains or whines about "buhu don't tell me how to raise my kids!"
We adapt to the situation and somewhere along the way we actually learn something about ourselves and the task of handling kids.

I guess you also think that cops should beat up robbers for being a bad bad men?

Once you raise your hand, you've run out of intellectual ideas...

[edit on 28/11/07 by flice]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I was smacked as a child, and let me say, if I have children I would NEVER lay a finger on them.

I was disappointed when they rejected the ban in the United Kingdom.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by infinite]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
There are certain times in a young persons life that they need a good spanking, for lack of a better word. I can remember 3 times my father laid hands on me. And I deserved it. They were learning experiences. Everyone has a right to raise their children. Why would anyone remain silent on this or any other issue pertaining to the GOVERNMENT making LAWS telling PEOPLE how to raise their kids. Oh wait, it takes a village to...yeah right.

I see children of today getting their time outs; getting their no XBOX for a day, a week or a year. Yup, thats working out.

I don't seem to be out growing my so called phase about lying and stealing. My parents are at their wits end. In comes Mr. Six foot four and puts the fear of God in to me like he has never ever done before. Guess what, it worked. I am not saying that people should/shouldn't spank their kids for everything they do wrong but there are definately justifications in spanking them.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I got smacked a couple times as a child, and I learned my lesson. While I can't say I envy the kids of people who beat their children, on occasion kids do need a decent smack. I can't say I can agree with hitting kids for every little thing there's just some things that giving a time out for doesn't really work so well. I'm all for spanking so long as no actual physical harm occurs aside from a sharp and quick pain from the strike, and so long as such discipline is used responsibly.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I don't see where the psychology that most parents use on children works. I think that there comes a time and a place where a child needs a butt spanking. I got spankings when I was a child, not many, and it never hurt me. As a matter of fact, if my parents had given me more, I probably wouldn't be the way I am now...

Really, there is a big difference between beating a child and spanking one. When you start talking about breaking limbs and leaving whelps on a child, then you have devolved into the whole child abuse thing... Otherwise, a spanking is simply teaching a child that there are hurtful consequences to things that we do in life.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Smacking one's offspring has recently become illegal here in New Zealand. I think it's a good thing.

There were just too many incidents of parents beating the crap out of their children. Sometimes to death.

F

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Banning spanking isn't going to stop the beating and murder of children. Sorry.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
In Denmark it has been forbidden for several years to hit your children.

Besides hitting your children is only needed for people who havent got the brainpower to teach their children right from wrong.

Just give me one examble where hitting your own children, is supposed to be the only way to teach them, that what they did was wrong?

you cant...

the abuse of children, by hitting them, comes from a feeling of control loss from the parents, not being able to control them in a given situation, or not being able to get them to listen.

if your intelligent enough you will never have to hit your children, and they will most likely grow up healthy without using violence themselfes.

you cant expect your children to behaive, and not hitting other children, if you yourself hit them.

so use your brain, thats why you got it you know?

end of story

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
(Excessive Smilies Removed)

Mod Note: One Line Responses -- Please Review

[edit on 29-11-2007 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up.

The publicity of the act of banning smacking and the enforcement of the law may help to educate those who are obtuse enough to think that physical violence is a reasonable way to train children.

Violence begets violence.

F

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Scenario:
I was in the grocery store last week waiting in line to pay for my
groceries. As my stuff was being tallied up there was a woman and
her lil boy behind me in line. The lil boy may have been 3-4 yrs old.
He kept asking his mother for a candy bar and his mother kept
telling him no. This went on for about 3-4 minutes. Finally, not
getting his way, he falls down to the floor in a rage, crying, kicking
and screaming in a bloody murder tandrum. His mother tells him
to stop it and reaches down to pick him up and he kicks her in the leg
with his foot about 3 times and screams at her saying "I hate you".
He finally kicks and misses and knocks over the candy stand with about
500 bars of candy and he was still kicking and screaming laying on the floor.

She never raised her voice to the child and acted like a stupid idiot
when she tried to baby him. She never spanked him or tried to correct
him other than trying to keep him quiet.

Yea, I can definitely see how putting that kid in time-out is gonna correct
that kind of behavior (sarcasm) seeing as how taking something away
from him is what started the tantrum in the first place. As I was
walking out of the store I was thinking to myself, yea that's the kind
of kid that's eventually gonna grow up to kill people that is unless
he kills his parents first. All because his mother didn't spank the
crap out of him when he deserved it. I don't blame the kid for that ...
I blame the parent

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Big Brother is watching, and he has his eyes on your child's anus.

That's the best damn thing I've said in ages. Some one has to quote that and sig it.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta115

1. you dont know how she raises her children at home, a good suggestion would be that she probably spanks the kid, since she obviously have no clue how to make him stop.

2, the kid screaming "i hate you" sounds to me like he feels overseen and not heard.

3. as for the kicking...well violence breed violence, my daughter has never had this behavior, never.

4. If the kid is 3-4 years old he is bound to have been out shopping before and should already know not to beg, but ask for things, and to accept a NO.

5. Timeout is a misused concept and should only be emplied at home, in the situations where you don't have the energy to explain and teach your children.

So please stop trying to justifice abuse of children, just because you had "a good spank" when you where a kid. a "good talk" is much more effective

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Bluess]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
People can use all of the touch-feely strawman arguments they want. There is no substitute for showing a child that there are painful consequences to misdeeds committed in life. It's really that simple. Period.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
THIS IS WHATS WRONG WITH KIDS TODAY....

unfortunately, my kids do know what a spanking is... but ill tell
you what.. everyone who comes into contact with all 3 of my
boys comment on what good boys they are and how much they
wish their kids are like that.. i mean everyone from their teachers
to the parents in karate classes..

dont get me wrong... I dont beat my children, I love them way
too much... but I also love them way too much to let them turn
into these moron kids i see running around acting just as stupid
as their parents...

I also do use time-outs.. but they dont work nearly as good as a
quick smack on the hiney.... snaps them right back into reality...

I can rest easy knowing that my boys are going to grow up and
be GREAT men...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join