It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China tells U.S. there was misunderstanding on denying U.S. ships to port.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

China tells U.S. there was misunderstanding on denying U.S. ships to port.

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi told US President George W. Bush on Wednesday that a US aircraft carrier was turned away from Hong Kong last week due to a "misunderstanding," the White House said.

During a meeting in Washington, Bush "raised the issue of the USS Kitty Hawk's aborted port of call. The Chinese foreign minister assured us it was a misunderstanding," said US National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe.

Bush and Yang also discussed international diplomatic efforts aimed at defusing concerns over nuclear programs in Iran and North Korea, the spokesman said.

The discussion came one day after two top US military leaders criticized China for blocking port visits to Hong Kong last week by the carrier as well as two minesweepers seeking refuge from a storm.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
How can there be a misunderstanding on an American carrier heading towards Hong Kong with crews' families waiting on the docks just prior to Thanksgiving? No its not a misunderstanding, its a message to the U.S.

news.yahoo.com (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I agree. Its face saving BS. What about the two small USN ships denied entry 2 week prior to get out of a tropical storm? What about that?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

China has been a little snippy ever since we agreed to sell the latest version of the Patriot to Taiwan. Guess this is their idea of voicing their displeasure?

I can't wait for the next time a Chinese ship wants to go to Hawaii.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Each event another move on the chess board. Misunderstanding...hardly. I can't see this being a misunderstanding as much as a blatant snuff. Time for the gov't to implement another Chinese made product recall.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Perhaps it has something to do with Chinese President Hu's visit to Washington. You know, when they let a known political activist in as a reporter and she screamed abuse at him, then both Dick and Condi pretended to be asleep during his speech..

When you flip someone off, expect to get the same back in spades.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Do we have many Naval ships from China visiting U.S. Ports? If so maybe we should deny them access to our ports and see how they feel about it. I'm sure the family members that were waiting to see their loved ones were a little P**'d off.
I for one don't trust the Chinese government farther than I could throw them. They are the one country on this planet that we really need to keep our eyes on. IMHO

new topics

top topics

join