It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Island Man Denied “Get Osama” Vanity Plates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

NEW YORK― There’s a $25 million reward out for his capture, so it’s no secret the United States Government wants to get Osama Bin Laden. But when a Long Island man wanted to express that thought on his license plate, he got more than he bargained for.
< snip >
But now he told CBS 2, the DMV has put the brakes on his plates, claiming they are offensive.

In a letter addressed to Herwerth, the DMV said they “prohibit the issuance of any license plate combination that is, ‘in the discretion of the commissioner, obscene, lewd, lascivious, derogatory to a particular ethnic group or patently offensive.”

patdollard.com...

Offensive? I don't see it. What about freedom of speech?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Offensive? I don't see it. What about freedom of speech?

Neither do I, but there will be some haters out there itching for something new to rally behind. You know how morons are..

And freedom of speech seems relative, not absolute. You're only given the illusion of freedom of speech.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I don't see it offensive either, but what I see is not related to any foreign influences here either.

This is all about political agendas.

We all know that we are into two wars due to a most wanted man named Osama.

We have wasted trillions of dollars and he is a no show.

So actually this is an embarrassment to our own government.

At the end I think that somebody higher up in our political system is afraid that if people starts to go around showing the reason we are at war and bring fresh memories to the American citizens it will be a new movement asking our government for accountability.

And I bet that some or our leaders do not want the nation to remember why we are at war and how a failure it has become.

I think that as tax payer and the citizens of this country we have the right to have whatever we want that is related to our nations best interest.

And by all rights we should all be wearing no only liscence plates but banners on our cars asking for Osama.

Just an opinion.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
To whom is a "Get Osama" license plate really offensive? To him? To the American public? To the Islamic extremists the Americas are already fighting against?

It seems strange that someone would take offense to a man expressing his desire to capture a known terrorist in a country whose news station regularly vilify other such extremists and other sundry criminals.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg, you have one vivid imagination! I bet your husband can't get away with any tricks!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Js my husband calls me a witch, he,he and my children could never lie to me, now they thank me for it.

Yes I am one Puertorrican voodoo woman, but my husband lovessssss me to death.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I agree, I think he should have his license plate. It would be a constant reminder to the people who see it that the government isn't really interested in capturing the guy, then maybe more people will start asking themselves why.

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
How can you NOT see that as a derogatory statement even if it is about bin laden?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Perhaps if you would tell us what you find offensive about it, we could talk.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Perhaps if you would tell us what you find offensive about it, we could talk.

I never said I found it offensive.

Some people can find it derogatory

Look up the word.

By the way. As a coincidence. I just viewed a local news program in Canada. In the story a women was prevented from renewing her plates because she has a vanity that reads REV JO. She is a reverend. The justification from the ministry is that it promotes road rage!! Also, GANGSTA, IH8MYEX ( I hate my ex) have been denied too!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't get it, we have been drilled that Osama is the bad man, evil bad man.

Also that he happen to be Muslim, Alqaida and Taliban follower, so we are to see all this things related to evil, bad and ugly.

And now we can not have license plates with Get Osama? it's that ridiculous, hypocritical and bias?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I don't care. I have a bigger problem with not allowing MPEACHW

Clearly I'm biased, but I'm more upset that someone like her got the plates pulled than some willfully ignorant jackass who feels he needs to share with his fellow drivers that he's just another flag waving supporting the status quo American who needs to direct all his hate towards one guy based on false information so that he can give himself the illusion that he's patriotic.

I'm so sure Osama is terrified now that the words "Get Osama" are proudly displayed on the back of his vehicle.

Perhaps he should enlist in the military and go fight for the cause rather than sticking some words on a piece of metal and thinking he's doing his country a service.

God, I can't stand people like that. Let's all talk tough and say tough phrases like "Get Osama" so we can feel like we're on top of the world. Let's parade around our big guns, tanks, and aircraft while joking about the slaughter of billions of people when we "glass the Middle East", all to feed our egos that we're big.

I'd be willing to bet this guy was getting this license plate so that he could show it off. He probably figured people would drive by him and think of him as a good American. This was more than likely for attention, which just makes it that much more pathetic.

Sorry about my rant. Bad mood. I guess I should have waited to post this. Oh well.

[edit on 11/28/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Oh x-phile

Perhaps if you would tell us what you find derogatory about it, we could talk.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
LMAO.

This is a blanent disreguard of the First amandment. Not supprising in todays age.

I have to Belive CAIR was behind this.

(And if you haven't heard of CAIR... look into it, you will not like what you find, that is the Council on American Islamic Realations)

new topics

top topics

join