It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Nations: Iceland Best Place to Live, Africa Worst

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

United Nations: Iceland Best Place to Live, Africa Worst

www.foxnews.com

Iceland is the world's best place to live, according to an annual U.N. report that ranked sub-Saharan Africa as the worst place for someone to call home.

The island nation edged out Norway, which had held the top spot for the last six years. The United States slipped to 12th place from an eighth place ranking last year.

The U.N. Human Development Index used 2005 figures for life expectancy, educational levels and real per capita income to rank 175 nations of the world — plus Hong Kong and the Palestinian territories — for habitability. Rich, free-market economies dominated the top spots with Australia, Canada and Ireland rounding out the top five.

Click here to view the report.

African countries landed at the bottom of the list, where in 10 countries, two in five children will not reach the age of 40. All 22 of the lowest ranked countries are in sub-Saharan Africa, with Sierra Leone placing last.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hdr.undp.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Canada/Australia Dominate "Best Place To Live" Study
Where is the safest place on earth

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
So the UN pannel thinks that Iceland and Norway are definately better places to live than say the US, Canada, Germany, France, and Italy. Other than income and life expectancy, I wonder how they arrived at their figures!

Having lived there once many years ago, I'd agree that sub- Saharan Africa might be the worst especially post AIDS being endemic!

Does anyone agree that Iceland is the best place in the world to live? Iceland?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
Does anyone agree that Iceland is the best place in the world to live? Iceland?

me! but then i have actually been there and travelled all around the country and it truly is an amazing place to see and live.

but as much as i love the country i don't think i could live there myself as i hate cold weather and boy do they get severe winters!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justyc

me! but then i have actually been there and travelled all around the country and it truly is an amazing place to see and live.

Hi Justyc,
I think I'll wait till summer to go but you are probably right. IMHO it doesn't qualify as a world class great place to live but for an Icelander it is probably just the ticket!

top topics

join