It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the UFO HAITI HOAX means the end of the CGI hoaxes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I been thingking about this, that hoax as "wonderful" as it was, it really showed the limitations that even professional CGI artist can have when it comes to creating something that they would want to be taken as "real".

Granted if you make it for a movie people would walk in expecting to see a great effect, but when it comes to deal with something that you trying to make to look as real as possible thats when the limitations are exposed IMO.

I would like to hear some opinions on the matter

Edit to add: For the some of you that might not know what im referring to here is the original thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...
[edit on 28-11-2007 by Bunch]

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Not by a long shot. As technology progresses it will be more and more difficult to see the difference between CGI and reality. I mean, if it wasn't for the palm tree mistake, some would still regard that video as real. Think about what we will be able to do 5 years from now. Apps like vue and terragen2 are already getting pretty close.

I'm relatively new in the modeling business, and all that keeps me from making hoaxes like that -beside the fact that I don't want to fool people- is the amount of time and processing power needed to generate an acceptable level of realism.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't think so either. Just think. You're a young person in film school looking for an assignment, maybe as a group. You need to get noticed and 'do something different.' What better way to show off your skills, get an 'A' in the class and get noticed than to attempt to pull off a Haiti-like UFO on the 'UFO Community?' If you do you're bound to fool a few people, at least, which you will gleefully point out. The adrenaline ad interest on the project would be high. I expect to see more, if for no other reason than to spark the cgi/no cgi 'experts' into another row.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I guess you guys are right, I do think though that CGI hoaxes would have to become more elaborate than what it was presented in this case. And for that it will need someone with a lot of free time and the right tools to pull one off as to keep people wondering for a long period of time.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnswoth
Not by a long shot. As technology progresses it will be more and more difficult to see the difference between CGI and reality.

Absolutely. A problem that I forsee is that people will get excellent video of a geniune UFO and it will be useless as "proof" because anyone could have done it at home. This is becoming more of a problem as technology progresses. You can never rely on "proof", because it can ALWAYS be faked, even fabricated using secret technology 5-30 years ahead of us.
At the end of the day, you either BELIEVE, or you do not.

[edit on 28/11/07 by NuclearPaul]

top topics

join