It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New US Military Technology - the Exoskeleton

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Seal it, Armor it up, Power it up, and I will take that thing into Urban Combat any day. Imagine the mobility of a man with the armor of an M2. Frag grenades? No Problem. Concussion? We could deal with it. AK-47's and 9 mm? A joke.

That thing will be developed into a Powered-armored system no doubt about it. I am sure that some General somewhere is working with some pentagon suit on the requirements for light, heavy, and assualt versions of this thing.

What worries me is.....

I have no doubt that we will see an armored and functional fighting version of this thing in less then 10 years. In 20 years we will be in the second or 3rd generation of FCS. Once we reach that point do we start seeing these 1st gen and 2nd gen models serving search warrants and patrolling our streets. Or will they be the suits warn by the Guards at our Sub-Urban Security and Patrol Centers? Will we be passing our papers to Soldiers in these things just trying to get to work.
And WHAT IF we do get a power mad dictator in power? How would we ever remove him when we are up against these things and we have hunting rifles and shotguns?

As soon as the civilian issue is released I will sell my car for one.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This technology is really something. It is still very early, but once they get all the power issues resolved, and find a way to fit weapons on it then they will really be in business.

Plus a means will have to be developed to disable the tech if it should fall into enemy hands. This reminds me of the Tin Men in the Dale Brown books.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

A maned unit, can think and reason, help unarmed where needed, that vid from robocop was unmaned and programed with non-reasoning A.I.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
They could start coming up with armor systems to put on it. Heck, they could finally put the Dragon Scales on this thing eventually. This thing could be something like the Dark Troopers from Star Wars EU-Expanded Universe- (See StarWars.com/databank for info). They could even send this thing into space for use with things like moon bases and stuff. This will really stimulate the economy once it gets off the ground. Somewhat literally off the ground too. Imagine plugging a jetpack into the eventual armored version of this thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Jules Verne and H G Wells made the comment last century how it is amazing that the science-fiction of today becomes tomorrow's reality; when Robert Heinlein penned 'Starship Troopers' with their powered armor that could leap tall buildings and wage total war in any enviroment it became only a matter of time until it becomes a reality; and considering the military has 20-30 years lead time over civilian introduction/applications it won't be long until the new trooper is outfited and arrives to do fierce battle.........

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
That's pretty cool, I just wish the people building such things would have more style. Look at the one the Japanese built...

Why can't we have style?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ebe51

Because we have a higher minimum wage and lower standards for education.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I wonder which would win in a fight?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ebe51
That's pretty cool, I just wish the people building such things would have more style. Look at the one the Japanese built...

Why can't we have style?

Look at the FFW soldier. That pretty much owns japans weak impersonation.

I wonder if the japanese version can do what the sarco exoskeleton can do in as many repititions. picking up an asian girl that weights 80lbs is not that impressive. I can do that without an exoskeleton rather easily.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by US Monitor
This technology is really something. It is still very early, but once they get all the power issues resolved, and find a way to fit weapons on it then they will really be in business.

Plus a means will have to be developed to disable the tech if it should fall into enemy hands. This reminds me of the Tin Men in the Dale Brown books.

Heh or if he US should decide to annex an allied country that has them to. .

Actually Several countries are working on this tech..

I did some research & Australia is also working on something similar to the US model.

Weather it will be used for millitary applications or Civillian ones though i cannot say.

[edit on 12/3/2007 by Ironclad]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The Japanese exoskeleton is not in the same class, from what it shown in the video, for a simple reason. The hands, feet, fingers, toes, ankles and wrists are exposed and not connected/supported by the system. This creates obvious limitations problems when we start to think about heavy loads and physical work. If the arm/leg up to the wrist/ankle is supported by the exoskeleton yet the rest of f the hand/foot is exposed then it will snap if the operator attempts to interact with heavy loads. To demonstrate, rest your forearm over a hard table edge and let someone hang a 100 lb weight from your fingers/grip, good luck.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think this article is from a couple of years ago, since the Sarcos project that they did for DARPA doesn't seem complete in the list here. But, here's a comprehensive list of other exoskeleton systems being worked on in the US, Asia and Europe.

www.spectrum.ieee.org...

USA

www.spectrum.ieee.org...

Asia

www.spectrum.ieee.org...

Europe

www.spectrum.ieee.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ebe51

Why can't we have style?

Seems like an excuse for lazy people not to do anything, since the Japanese model is made for people who work more on their a$$e$ than actually doing anything physical. While it does look interesting since they made it look stylish and sleek, even when it has little to no chance of standing up to the American version. Personally I think that rugged is cooler, rather than pathetic smoothness.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Wait wait wait... did that suit say "Cyberdyne" on the back of it? Talk about a bad choice of a name for a company that develops robotics. Haven't they ever watched "Terminator?"

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
I think money would be better spent learning how to replace most of the body instead of adding some exo-suit. If we could encapsulate our brain in a human looking robot we would be set. Biological bodies are holding us back more than anything. Think about it, as long as the brain(and its life support system) was well armored you could destroy most of your own body with little thought. Chem weapons would be nullified as well.

A suit like this would be the first step to the realization of that goal. In fact it may be the goal of the elitist not only in this country (USA) but of others as well.

There are many technologies that will converge in the very near future.

Technology can empower us or enslave us. If every one is able to have access to this, and other technology, or at least effective countermeasures to it I see no problem with it.

As it is now, technology is being used to enslave us.... This suit and all attendent technologies are what I consider to be part of our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. It is the birthright of every American to keep and bear the deadly implements of war. We all need this suit.... whether it is for fighting robots, aliens, terrorists, or tyrannical government..... we the People need this armor and I want mine NOW!!!!!

-Euclid

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
There's one major difference between the Japanese exoskeleton and the American one. The Japanese one isn't a prototype and is now commercially available for a mere $30,000 and they are now working on an even more advanced version while the American's have only just barely created a working prototype that cost's $50 million. Ouch!!!! The Japs own America when it comes to practicality and ingenuity. World domination.
Dream on!!!!

I watched a program on the sci-fi channel about cyborgs and bionic implants. There's some truly crazy people out there who are only too eager to have their perfect working limbs removed for bionic replacements. How sad!!!!!

The day we give up our humanity to become robots or cyborgs is the day the human race will go extinct and our spirituality along with it.
What a depressing thought!!!!!

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 10-12-2007 by kindred]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Then consider me extinct and unspiritual. I'd be more than happy to be a cyborg.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
There's one major difference between the Japanese exoskeleton and the American one. The Japanese one isn't a prototype and is now commercially available for a mere $30,000 and they are now working on an even more advanced version while the American's have only just barely created a working prototype that cost's $50 million. Ouch!!!! The Japs own America when it comes to practicality and ingenuity. World domination.
Dream on!!!!

Talking about talking out of ones own ass..

This sounds like rubbish from someone who cannot stand the fact that america did somthing that owns japans weak imitation... the jap version is a toy compared to this exo skeleton. and as far as the US exo skeletons (notice the "s" at the end). Look up Bleex 1 and bleex 2, those are US exo skeleton prototypes that could already be used, that are easily better than the 'commercially available'' japanese version.

Also, america leads in technological innovation. NOT japan.
there are studys out there that go as far as to say the US is 15-30% more innovative than japan...just saying..

I dont mind that you have this anti american view. But get the facts straight..

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
there are studys out there that go as far as to say the US is 15-30% more innovative than japan...just saying..

Isn't the saying on this something like - America innovates and Japan imitates (and china just plain steals and copies)?

Not saying that the japanese don't make improvements on an invention once they get their hands on it, it's just that they seem to need someone to think up the new concepts for them in the first place.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by West Coast

Isn't the saying on this something like - America innovates and Japan imitates (and china just plain steals and copies)?

Not saying that the japanese don't make improvements on an invention once they get their hands on it, it's just that they seem to need someone to think up the new concepts for them in the first place.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by centurion1211]

pretty much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join