It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran develops new long-range missile -- Range of 1240 Miles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
I am not doubting the technology of Iran's missiles. I'm just not doubting American technology either. In the end I think it will come down to Iran having slightly better technology,

Iran having even "slightly better technology" than the U.S.? For anything? Based on what?
That's surely one of the best laughs I've had in awhile. What dreamers we have posting on ATS ...

[edit on 11/28/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Again, you're trying to balance the actions of one person, or a very few against the opposite actions of millions and you try to say it balances. Not hardly.

No, I'm saying that my personal experience with people from the area runs counter to what I see on TV.

Besides, what was her problem? Did she want us to bend our laws over backwards to suit her "needs", like letting her wear a veil for her drivers license photo, or something?

No. She wanted (dared to want?) to work in IT without being treated like a second class citizen for having an accent and/or being female. Her English is fluent (and a damned site better than a number of Americans I've spoken with), she's well educated, and doesn't boast about Iran. I actually had to press her a bit to get her to talk about Iran at all since she's still a bit gun shy after the shoddy treatment she got stateside. She's also Christian, by the way, but that didn't stop people from assuming she's "one of them". She says things are much better here, in Canada, and is happily employed in the same major telecoms company as myself where she gets the same amount of pay and isn't hassled by her co-workers over her birthplace.

Sorry, but when you come to the U.S. to live you come here to become us, not to maintain your past and put "I love iran", (or whatever country) bumper stickers on your vehicle.

Multi-ethnicity - Yes! Multi-culturalism - No!

Ah, now we see.
You're xenophobic.

What happened to the noble idea of "the great melting pot" where people share each other's cultures, learn from and enrich each other in the process?
Has this become a moot point in the face of enforced conformity where "freedom" is doing exactly as you're told? Should I be running around telling American ex-pats in Canada to "get the hell out" for wearing an American Flag?

While I agree that a certain amount of indoctrination into the local culture is a good thing (being able to speak the language, paying taxes, and abiding by local laws and customs), I feel that demanding 100% conformity is draconian and the antithesis of "freedom".

I enjoy other people's cultures. Learning about them, sharing them, and most especially trying the food! You, on the other hand, seem to want to whitewash everything (should I say red, white, and blue wash?) into a nice, safe, tyrannical enforcement of what you believe to be "the American way".

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think this is actually bad news for Russia. Not because Iran could hit Russia with missiles (to do so would be absolutely stupid, and would certainly lead to Iran being attacked in retaliation) but because Iran has basically handed the US a victory here... a victory that American military officials have been wanting for quite some time.

Remember all the fuss about the missile shield based in Poland and the Czech Republic? One of the major factors in the construction of this missile defence system (according to the Bush Administration, anyway) was to protect the US and its allies against possible Iranian ICBMs. Russia has scoffed at the idea that Iran could do this and opposed the missile shield... and now Iran makes this announcement, suggesting that Russia either underestimated Iran's capabilities or deliberately bent the truth.

This is very interesting... I'm quite intrigued as to what the Russian response will be at this cauldron bubbling over on their doorstep.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
No. She wanted (dared to want?) to work in IT without being treated like a second class citizen for having an accent and/or being female.

Now I see this response as total BS and off topic. Why, because I work in IT. And I've worked along side women from India, China, Russia, the Phillippines, whatever. They all had accents and none of them had the problems you describe. Some were even managers. I see this as some sort of stereotype on your part, or perhaps there was some sort of other employment problem that your friend was smokescreening with this excuse. We've all seen people do that before.

Ah, now we see.
You're xenophobic.

What happened to the noble idea of "the great melting pot" where people share each other's cultures, learn from and enrich each other in the process?

No, what we now see is that you have no concept of what the "melting pot" really is. The melting pot is multi-ethnicity where people from all over come together and blend (melt) into the U.S. culture and way of life. That's how it has been since the beginning of the U.S.

Now multi-culturalism is quite the opposite. It means that people make no attempt to assimilate, but try to stay seperate and maintain their original cultures, languages and customs. Not what built the U.S. and made it strong at all. No a fairly recent development that some people confuse with the "melting pot". Example, I had hispanic inlaws that could speak almost no English after being here almost 50 years! They spent all their time in their little ghetto (true meaning of the word here) communities going to shops and churches that only spoke spanish.

Don't know why you can't see that multi-culturalism produces a weak, fragmented society rather than the strong society you get when you "melt" everyone together. Anyway, hopefully you've just learned something.

[edit on 11/28/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well, I have started thread about it YESTERDAY, with very little response...

Iran Says It's Produced New Missile

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Wow, calm down Duby... your post was made only 2 minutes before this one, judging by the timestamps. For all we know, your thread didn't exist yet when the author of this one clicked the button to start a new thread.

Centurion, I was referring to the technology Iran buys from Russia, not the stuff they make for themselves. Obviously Iran can't compete... but they can buy stuff from their puppet master that does.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'm not really worried about the kind of missiles they have,
but more especially what kind of warhead is on that missile.
I guess that is why the US and Israel doesn't want Iran
to go nuclear. If it does at any point with a leader like
ahmenajad then you can bet your bottom dollar Israel
is gonna bomb it like they did Syria a few months back.

I guess it wouldn't bother us so bad if the leader of Iran
didn't state on universal TV that an entire country of
people (Israel) should be obliterated. That's the mentality
that causes uneasy foreign policies.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

I'm not upset, do not worry. But what bothers a little me is that, when I've opened some threads, and someone other opened thread on same basis as mine (in a matter of minutes), my thread was promptly closed, because 'someone beat me on that one'.

But I'm not asking for this thread to be closed, there is a discussion on that issue here, and ATS is all about discussion. In fact, I wouldn't complain if my thread was closed, since ,unfortunately, there's no discussion there.

Now, let me return on topic. I've talked with a man who was an officer of army of ex Yugoslavia, and later in Croatian army. He is also a PhD of physics, and all his military career was revolving around rockets and missiles or all sorts. When I asked him about possibility of Iran making a 2000 km range missile (1200 miles), he was absolutely convinced that it would be possible for Iran to make it, considering their operational rocket systems and know-how. He also told me that 'rocket science' isn't really that complicated, as we 'ordinary mortals' think. A team with appropriately educated and experienced people and sufficient resources can make 'miracles', considering the rocketry. Biggest problem is, of course, the engine. Experiments would result in many failures, but that is something one cannot avoid (he mentioned the infamous Murphy's laws, and said that Murphy was an optimist
, especially when rockets and airplanes are in question).

We've also talked about US ABM shield project in Europe. His opinion is - something is very fishy there. 6 missiles with dubious efficiency don't mean anything. He suspects something far more serious is being prepared behind the curtains, and probably something we don't know a word about it.

Well, that's what I have - for now.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join