It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran develops new long-range missile -- Range of 1240 Miles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Iran develops new long-range missile -- Range of 1240 Miles

en.rian.ru

TEHRAN, November 27 (RIA Novosti) - Iran has produced a missile with a range of 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles), the country's defense minister announced on Tuesday.

State media quoted Gen. Mostafa Mohammad Najjar as saying that the Ashoura missile has been produced at a factory related to the ministry.

The range of the missile would allow it to reach Israel, as well as United States military bases in the Middle East.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Wow!

Just think, another decade or so and they may only need 100 Iranians to throw the missle.

/sarcasm

Perhaps this means that it's about time for us to pull our troops out of those Middle Eastern bases huh?

Jasn

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This can't really be a good development. Although a missile with this range is actually classed towards the lower end of medium range, it's still further than I could throw a rock . . . or 100 Iranians could throw one.

I wonder if it works?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think it's very likely a lot of Iran's missile technology has a fair bit to do with Russia. Russia put a lot of effort in to their missiles where the west put a lot of effort into fighter craft and other very expensive kit. The result is that the could of spent the same money on R+D, but a missile is cheaper and less complicated to make lots of. Its economies of scale.

apc

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
And they're going to wipe Israel off the map or kill all the infidels or blah blah blah.

This got old a long time ago. Iran needs to either go ahead and nuke a bunch of people or shut up and quietly spin their centrifuges in the other room.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
We can easily shoot those so called new "sunburn" missiles down with the the Arrow anti-ballistic missile system. It will track just about anything launched over 200 ft into the air into the designated area its assigned. Its just a bunch of hype to scare us into thinking that Iran is a threat.

The US and Israel have the capability to track and destroy any aggressive missile launch within minutes. Our Navy is even better equipped.

They (Iran) are only a threat to their own people by having an insane leader dictate the policy....hmmm sound familiar?

[edit on 27-11-2007 by luxor311]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Iran is suppose to have loads of these Sunbure missiles (okay I realise that link is to Rense, but that's just a convenient link - easy to find loads more. And those sunburns are serious kit.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I think it's very likely a lot of Iran's missile technology has a fair bit to do with Russia. Russia put a lot of effort in to their missiles where the west put a lot of effort into fighter craft and other very expensive kit. The result is that the could of spent the same money on R+D, but a missile is cheaper and less complicated to make lots of. Its economies of scale.

This is really rich and ironic. The iranians develop missiles with russia's help that now have the range to target - well, russia!

Be like if we showed chavez in venezuela how to make Pershing II missiles.

Note to russia: you ain't muslim, therefore you are the enemy.

[edit on 11/27/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
They have said that they could hit American bases and Israel for quite a while now. This new missle can't be much of an improvement on thier previous technology. Unless of course, this is the same old tech, just a new story to help keep the fear train rolling.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Russia will learn that supplying Iran with weapons is a mistake. If the U.S. was smart, they'd be playing that angle to the extreme. Iran isn't the real enemy, Russia and China are... or will be someday.

Right now, Iran is just their little sock puppet with which those two countries intend to test the strength and resolve of the U.S. This will have the added benefit of further hurting our economy and straining our military and its budget, to make it easier for them to make their move later on.

If the U.S. was smart, it would quietly befriend Iran while maintaining a public face of continued animosity. Once our two rivals were fully invested in their Iranian puppeteering policy, we could then yank the rug out from under them and leave them with a pile of wasted time and money - Not to mention the best of their weapons and technology in the hands of our new friend.

But... oh, wait... that was IF the U.S. was smart. No... no, we have to support Israel, a two-faced country with no resources and nothing to offer to the world but instability and a secret, undeclared nuclear arsenal.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by mattifikation]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Man i can't handle all of this propeganda any more. So what they have missles, and your point? I mean seriously everytime i watch the news i half expect the sinister music to break out and Iranian people to be depicted with horns and hooves.
The States gives every nation who starts splicing atoms the evil eye it seems asif to say that OUR ATOM and what right do they have. Even though it wasn't the US that came up with atomic thoery in the first place but rather a foriegn scientist who studied in the States.
Who cares let em have the bombs id say that any nation on the planet that is sophisticated enough to develop high technology has every bit of right to do so and should be respected as equals by other countries that have.
You know there are nations on the planet that harness the power of the atom that don't have any bombs, for example Canada, and while everyone is saying that Iran is making bombs and doing so while cackling and concocting sinister schemes, the same was said about Iraq and look how accurate that turned out to be.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I don't think this development changes anything in the region, Iran has been attacking Israel and American forces for a while now, by proxy in Israel using Hamas and Hezbollah and providing weapons and training to terrorists in Iran.

I totally agree with Mat, Russia and China sooner or later would recognize that dealing with ME countries as some point it turns counterproductive and can come back and bite you. For now is the U.S. turn to learn their lesson but if this countries don't learn from the U.S. Mistakes they are placing themselves next in line to learn the hard way what it means to deal with people that has no allegiance only to their religion.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Note to russia: you ain't muslim, therefore you are the enemy.

Wow.
Do you seriously believe that all Muslims hate all non-Muslims?

The propaganda seems to be working... but that doesn't explain why I have several Muslims friends that don't hate anyone.

Also, on an ironic note, I have a female Iranian friend who moved to Canada because she couldn't stand the intolerance, ignorance, and rampant greed in the country she was living. No, not Iran. She had already left there... the country she was referring to was the US.

Go fig, eh?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Iran allready has the SS-4 (shahab3) which can reach Israel (and further).

And about `Arrow` being amazing - Patriot failed in GW1 to hit , well , anything - they `think` it got 1 target (search ats for that report).

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxor311
We can easily shoot those so called new "sunburn" missiles down with the the Arrow anti-ballistic missile system. It will track just about anything launched over 200 ft into the air into the designated area its assigned. Its just a bunch of hype to scare us into thinking that Iran is a threat.

The US and Israel have the capability to track and destroy any aggressive missile launch within minutes. Our Navy is even better equipped.

They (Iran) are only a threat to their own people by having an insane leader dictate the policy....hmmm sound familiar?

[edit on 27-11-2007 by luxor311]

Are you Israeli or American?
Very curious..

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
[Do you seriously believe that all Muslims hate all non-Muslims?

Here we go for the 10,001 time with muslim apologists inserting the word "all" into the conversation when very clearly I (and no one else) did not say "all muslims". How about if "all" muslim apologists find a new way to discuss the issues of what "some" muslims are clearly doing.

The propaganda seems to be working... but that doesn't explain why I have several Muslims friends that don't hate anyone.

Maybe you think your propaganda (see above) is working, but I doubt it. And, oooh, you "have several muslim friends that don't hate". Big deal, since there are still several million muslims out there that cleaerly show that they do hate westerners and western culture.

Also, on an ironic note, I have a female Iranian friend who moved to Canada because she couldn't stand the intolerance, ignorance, and rampant greed in the country she was living. No, not Iran. She had already left there... the country she was referring to was the US.
Go fig, eh?

Again, you're trying to balance the actions of one person, or a very few against the opposite actions of millions and you try to say it balances. Not hardly. Besides, what was her problem? Did she want us to bend our laws over backwards to suit her "needs", like letting her wear a veil for her drivers license photo, or something? Sorry, but when you come to the U.S. to live you come here to become us, not to maintain your past and put "I love iran", (or whatever country) bumper stickers on your vehicle.

Multi-ethnicity - Yes! Multi-culturalism - No!

[edit on 11/28/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I recall seeing a program on TV about the Patriot missile. It was talking about how the Patriot was believed to be a huge success in Gulf War 1, until more investigation was done and it was learned that the Scuds were actually missing their target simply due to inaccuracy.

It went on to say that the Patriot missile underwent massive updates and redesigning, and came out a much better, more accurate missile. I can't remember what the show was, but nevertheless here's the link to the Wikipedia Article on Patriot Missiles.

Either way, it's not a very valid method of judging the effectiveness of the Arrows system which is made by different companies, is a later-generation missile, and takes a different approach to how it works.

Also in development is the SeaRAM missile.

The reality of it is that neither a Sunburn nor a Yakhont missile has never been fired on a target employing the Arrows system. Until one has been, there is no way to know for sure if it will be effective.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by mattifikation]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

MMM sound familiar? how many weapons does the US sell to the same enemies it fights? hahahahaha really.... no a secret.

In regards to the missil... not good.... when they first talked about their nuclear program they claimed the first bomb to be produced was for israel ... hehe no they also have the means to take it ther... so im saying their first rocket lands in israel for sizzzle.

Dont doubt their tech,,, for russia and china are the ones behind iran technological advancement... and those missils have a lot to do with russia directly or indirectly. Same thing with their nuclear reactors which russia sold and built for iran.. and I am quite sure they also trained their scientists as well.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Arrows is a land based system - Sunburn is an ASM , so the 2, i honestly doubt will meet.

SeaRAM is allready in use.

but still - everytime a ship gets hit by an ASM - all we get are excuses as to why all the amazing defences didn`t work - switched off , not working , bird *poo* on the sensors etc

and to use your very own source for the searam i`ll link the one fromthe Saar-5

Sarr5 hit

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I am not doubting the technology of Iran's missiles. I'm just not doubting American technology either. In the end I think it will come down to Iran having slightly better technology, but the U.S. having the numbers and the funding to simply overwhelm it... an advantage it also has over China and Russia, but probably wouldn't have anymore fresh out of a war with Iran.

I was unaware that SeaRAM was already in use. Is it in full-scale use throughout the Navy, or just installed on a few ships right now? I've been looking for more information for awhile but always come up short.

--

Anyways, from the sites I've read it appears that current Sunburns have a range of 150 km, while ones currently in development will have a range of 200 km. Even the more advanced Yakhont has a 300 km range. Wouldn't a modern fighter jet be capable of being launched from much, much further away than that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join