It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sliding Rocks of Racetrack Playa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The Sliding Rocks of Racetrack Playa

geology.com

"Scientists can't figure out why these rocks - weighing up to several hundred pounds each - slide across a dry lake bed. The leading theory proposes that wind moves the rocks after a rain when the lake bed consists of soft and very slippery mud.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Wow,
this is almost as good as the Red Rain from India
as featured with Popular Science.

geology.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Interesting post. I looked into this odd event and found the following video that may answer your mystery.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Very interesting video, Rhain. I had heard of these for years, and no one seemed to have an answer.

Good find. Worth a star from me.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yes, worth a star, good find. All it takes is persistence and the unexplained supernatural becomes something quite simple.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
That sux however. Does this mean that the thread has been killed and the sliding rocks debunked? I kinda miss not having the mystery now.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

I truly am sorry to have your thread cut short. I had run across this video a few months ago and was saddened that the mystery was over. I like the unresolved romance around unknown.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
'cuse me... what have this to do with breaking news ??????

I think it must have been 1956 or 7 I first heard about them.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
When I first heard about this place, I wondered if it could have been due to a combo of Chandler wobble and water. Some sites I went to discussed it being due to water and wind. Here are some images I came across about a year ago:
Ground Truth Investigations
The Sliding Rocks in Racetrack Playa

Visits to the Racetrack in January of 2005 documented in galleries 2 and 3 reveal the normally dry playa about a third then a sixth or less covered with up to 6 inches of water.

A follow-up investigation twelve days later in February 2005, documented in the 4 pages of gallery 4 reveals an abundance of long new tracks covered by a thin skin of water at the southeastern end of the playa.

top topics

join