It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Teenage" galaxies give hints of early Milky Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

LINK TO NEWS STORY

The young building blocks of galaxies similar to the Milky Way have been spotted for the first time by astronomers, giving a tantalising glimpse of how our stellar back yard may have formed.

The discovery of 27 "teenager", or proto-galaxies, is further evidence that galaxies like the Milky Way were created by the clumping of smaller clouds of gas and dust, researchers said on Wednesday.

You know i always used to think i wish i could live 500 years so i can see what other discoveries are made.

I guess we can take solace in the fact that no matter when you live your always on the cutting edge of technology. (apart from them cheeky black ops chappies)

it can only be a matter of time before we peak into that telescope and see a rather blue / green planet covered in clouds . if i live to see that i happy man i will be

[edit on 27/11/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Galaxies form becasue of clumps of gas and dust, but I wonder how the super-massive black hole is formed in each galxey.

Maybe the enormous amount of gases and dust is so much in the middle, it becomes extremly dense, rotates faster and faster, and then becomes a black hole.---my theory-

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monsterenergy791

Galaxies form becasue of clumps of gas and dust, but I wonder how the super-massive black hole is formed in each galxey.

Maybe the enormous amount of gases and dust is so much in the middle, it becomes extremly dense, rotates faster and faster, and then becomes a black hole.---my theory-

From the smallest electron to solar systems ... everything orbits something it seems , round and round forces acting on each other .. i see no reason why this would'nt apply to the largest scale of things as well as the smallest

It would not suprise me at all if we find lots of universes orbiting something at some point .. but no matter how big it gets i always have to asked my self .. whats on the outside? what does space/the universe sit in?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

What does space and time sit on? Hmm...Hard question.

Well, from what I know, the 10th (or 11th) dimension is the highest of any and it is just a point--all space and time within a single singularity/point.

It's [extremley] hard to tell what lies beyond space/time when we live in a low dimension - compared to the other higher dimension.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsterenergy791

10 dimensions ..like string or 'M' theory? maybe the universe loops back on itself (possible to shoot self in back) but then what does the balloon/sphere sit on/in?

singularity .. yup but were does that reside? lol sorry i am asking imppossible questions.

Maybe time itself is an enclosed system (i know time is man made but it is a dimension) this would go someway to explaining how quantum particles know what to do BEFORE they get observed ... hard to explain that one let me post a fave video of mine .. when you think about this concept its a brain wrecker.

The real scary bit is their is an updated part of this experiment where the observer is placed the Other side of the slits .. yet the particle still knows that something is watching on the other side and adjusts accordingly... how can a particle know what to do in ADVANCE of an event? even though these theories and experiments show that we as observers bring possabilities into being it still knows before we look ...HOW?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Interesting thread. All things seem to be tied together, we just don't know how.

Fractuals are one of my favorites. They're there even in Nature. It seems to mean that the idea of chaos and randomness are not true, and may not really exist.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
From the smallest electron to solar systems ... everything orbits something it seems , round and round forces acting on each other .. i see no reason why this would'nt apply to the largest scale of things as well as the smallest

Electrons don't exactly orbit around their nuclei... that's the old Rutherfordian model taught in schools to simplify the visualisation process. The current model under quantum physics seem to suggest that the electrons are popping in and out of existence in a 'cloud of probability' around the atomic nucleus. In fact the electron clouds don't even look like orbits...

Hell, even those aren't set in stone. The above illustration is from an article that talks about how the orbitals can change when interacting with ferromagnets and high-temperature superconductors.

Heavy stuff I don't want to pretend to understand...

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Wow, I never learned that in school! But I'm still only in 10th grade, but I still think noe of my teachers would even know electrons are popping in and out of existance.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

that is true untill observed, then the electron does become a particle up until that point as you say its just a 'wave' (cloud) of possabilities.

the easiest ways for any new people intrested in quantum physics is to go watch 'What the Bleep do we know' on you tube a great little film

top topics

join