It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we destroying ourselves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
What's up?

Do you think we're slowly destroying ourselves? With all the technology we have, we all our abilities to make something, that they can be meant to destroy us? Unless of course, there's no harm in it, guaranteed.

For example, they say the cell phones can cause diseases, laptops can harm your genitals (when placing it on lap), and so on. Anything you name it.

What do you think? Perhaps that, one day when A.I. will take place, and these robots will turn their backs on us humans? Are the scientists and researchers aware of what may cause the harm and what mayn't? Are companies not doing enough to provide the information to prevent any harm to you?

[edit on 27-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Interesting thoughts. Do you have any sources of hard evidence that our electronics are hurting us? I've read the story of the man in South Korea who has died after a cell phone melt down. Is that the only proof out there? Let's see the facts.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Thanks for your response. Yeah, I've heard / read enough that some of the technologies can cause harm. I'll try to provide links for you.

www.centralchronicle.com...

moreresults.factiva.com...

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

nl.newsbank.com... _direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date
&s_trackval=GooglePM

www.innovations-report.de...

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

There's also another news thread in ATS that relates to the harms of technology, I forgot what's it called - but you can do your own search.

I guess that if you don't use something too much, then you'll be good. Perhaps it can be just all about using-it-right or somethin'.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Thanks for all the goodies I'll now have to read while at work this weekend. I agree that techology is going to kill us all but can you imagine how we would be without it?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Of course, we're going to take ourselves back to primitive living (after a collapse of modern technological society) if we don't have a radical change in our resource consumption (probably this century). If green technology can't save us, I predict society will collapse... After a period of chaos, and immense dying off of people, we'll either revert to agricultural or hunter gatherer living, until we can move to a technological society again.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Raoul Duke]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The progress of technology marches on.

Given that fact, there will be a day when our weapons have the ability to extinguish life on earth on the order of a single "president" or whatever you might call him.

So...

We either continue marching forward with weapons technology, or collectively decide to have peace.

One path will lead to our destruction, the other will grant us a future.

In the interest of survival, we must stop fighting. But the military-industrial complex and our current social structure lives on the blood of the dead. It is a vampire of humanity.

We are coming to the point that a decision must be made by all of us, for all of us.

What will we choose?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If we are smart enough to build AI robots, we should then be smart enough to be one step ahead of them, encase of a (The Terminator) movie scenario...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
If we are smart enough to build AI robots, we should then be smart enough to be one step ahead of them, encase of a (The Terminator) movie scenario...

You'd think, but should is the key word. Do we really know what we're doing? We're not God, but we like to play him on TV.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
if we have the ability to 'play god' then we should be able to, if we have the knowledge, then we should do it.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
if we have the ability to 'play god' then we should be able to, if we have the knowledge, then we should do it.

Whoa that's heavy (no joke!), but you have more faith/trust in the capabilities of the human race than I. I think humans can do great things, we can also do diabolical things.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
with great power, comes great responsibility....lol.....but a true fact

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
more on cell phone and tower harm

In out governemnt we trust

FDA knew more than a decade ago...

In the spring of 1993 at the height of public concern over cell phone-brain tumor risks, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) biologists concluded that the
available data "strongly suggest" that microwaves can "accelerate the development of cancer." This assessment is in an internal agency memo recently obtained by Microwave News under the Freedom of Information Act.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Great question! "Are we destroying ourselves?" In many ways for sure.

Either we find a sustainable future here or we better find a new planet, that's if we don't kill each other off first. The scenario where modern societal breakdown happens is pretty scary for anyone. I really believe that the technology of people trumps any one aspect of tech.

I'm 18 and I do have hope but it does seem pretty uphill; a steep hill - and I'm fortunate, many, many, have it so far worse than I. Change is constant and always just that one button away from "phweet", storms, quakes, crime, cell phones, microwaves, power failures, hackers, cyber-stalkers, intrusive gov, more intrusive corp's, shampoo, toys that kill, dangerous schools, tasers, asteroids, HAARP, aliens (good, bad and illegal), Celine Dion. Business as usual. Let's deal with it.

Mira

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the incoming replies.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in a higher technology and all, but sometimes there are risks can be invovled that must be looked upon and researched, do you not think?

I agree andre18, the more power rises, the more responsibility rises, but yet it can get out of control.

If we're slowly destroying ourselves, where's the help? Who's looking out for us? Who's trying to solve the problems?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
To answer this question one has to look no further than your supermarket.
Look whats in the food, look what IS the food. If you can fall it food.
The back of most packages will tell you that the product is not anything but a dried puddle of chemicals.

If thats not enough look outside the store at the parking lot and the road beyond.
All that pollution, all that natural resource waste in materials.
Ever seen a car graveyard, certainly in a movie you have...thats happening every single day, and every single car commercial tells society its ok to do that.

Go read some labels in your bathroom, the stuff that gets you clean all goes into the water somewhere. Think the fish like those products that "may cause eye, nose, throat irritation and possibly fatal if swallowed"? If the fish die, we are not far from death ourselves. Already there are large dead zones in the ocean, and of course the plastic continent in the pacific (killing the fish and birds).

So the answer to your questions is a most quantifiable "yes".

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die, or maybe next year, at the very least in someone's lifetime.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Well in the view that some technology is not a natural thing to which our body is accustomed to dealing with, or uses stuff that can and will end life functions. Well yea. But. Ummmm damn its late I forget where I am going with this.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Are we destroying ourselves with technology?

In some ways I think that we are.

Advancements in technology are nice but we are losing something in the process...namely our privacy and i don't like it.

top topics

join