It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Photos of Martian Moons, Phobos and Deimos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Did a search and all i got was the Phobos2 probe stuff, so i thought i would share it with you guys.

www.universetoday.com...

Mod Edit: New Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Nice link and story there. Two little orphans taken in by the God of War, Mars. I really like the fact that science says they were captured, but insists that our own Moon could not have been, and was instead the result of an impact.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Phobos sure is interesting, small too, only 13 miles wide.

I am still trying to see this in my head from an observation point on the surface of mars. What do they mean by this

Because the moon orbits Mars faster than it rotates, Phobos would appear to travel backwards across the sky from an observer on the ground.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Supposedly this is the Spirit rover as shown in the Gusev crater from the Mars orbiter.

Yeah...and we are nuts for thinking we see cranes on the moon!!!

www.universetoday.com...

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I really think more attention should be paid to these two small moons. They would make good staging areas for a landing on mars, Sort of a ready made space station, with some minor work.

Big, Fat, and Furry, a really great thread. It is nice to see some of the "lesser noticed" objects such as these get some attention. I think these moons are an overlooked resource for future exploration and colonization efforts on Mars.

Thanks for finding that and bringing it to our attention.

Edit to add: Do we have any more info on these moons? Pictures? History?

[edit on 29-11-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Because the moon orbits Mars faster than it rotates, Phobos would appear to travel backwards across the sky from an observer on the ground.

"Backwards" is a bit of a misleading term. All it means is that Phobos would appear to travel across the sky in the opposite direction to that of Deimos, even though both moons orbit the planet in the same prograde direction.

Our Moon appears to travel from east to west across the sky. That is because Earth is rotating faster than the Moon orbits our planet, so an observer on the ground effectively "overtakes" it. However, if the Moon orbited Earth in less than 24 hours, it would appear to move slowly from west to east, because it would then be moving faster than the Earth rotates. That's what Phobos appears to do in the Martian sky.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by Mogget]

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Some nice pictures here! It's nice to see a thread about Mars or it's moons which isn't claiming to have the ultimate proof of alien colonists living in a tropical climate!

NGC2736, you're quite right, these Moons would make an excellent stopping off point for missions to the outer solar system. Why we can't be exploring the solar system instead of blowing each other up I've no idea...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by timelike

It is people with the idea of exploration instead of war that will hopefully save humankind from destruction.

Like Ronald Reagan, I often think that the discovery of even alien traces, much less actual aliens, would be a good thing. While it might not unite mankind, it should certainly give us a better perspective of ourselves and our need for a future in space.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'll drink to that NGC2736! Sometimes I think the human spieces needs a good kick up the backside!

Incidentally, what with the Vela Supernova Remnant? There's many Supernova Remnants, what makes that one so special?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I believe that study of what the creative mechanisms were that created these two dwarven moons would be interesting.

Currently, it would seem that we believe Phobos to be covered with a hearty layer of "moondust", superfine and powdery. This, alone, is interesting to me. But its relative potato shape also intrigues me, as well as both of the moons' orbits.

Further, given the looks of the Martian landscape (Valles Marineris), the 9000 mile orbit is particularly noteworthy.

And I have enjoyed killing lots of aliens in the Phobos lab with my BFG-9000!!!

www.doom3.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by timelike

I'll drink to that NGC2736! Sometimes I think the human spieces needs a good kick up the backside!

Incidentally, what with the Vela Supernova Remnant? There's many Supernova Remnants, what makes that one so special?

It's the Pencil Nebula. And since the written word is mightier than a sword, and longer than Archimedes' lever, Took it as a symbol to conquer ignorance and move the world(s) of man.

(Dreaming richly costs no more than those petty every day kind.
)

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Oh, and there was me thinking it was the first thing you saw through a telescope and it stayed with you ever since!

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by timelike

Oh, and there was me thinking it was the first thing you saw through a telescope and it stayed with you ever since!

Every time I try to impress my wife with what a deep thinker I am, she says something about what she thinks is deep about me , and the need for boots while wading in it.

Actually the telescope image was of Mars. This was in the golden era of sci-fi, and I was sure I could find evidence Martian habitats if only I looked in the right spot. It seems that I'm still looking and hoping, though a half century has taught me that it's not so easy.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I have the problem of my wife completely not understanding me a majority of the time. My oldest son...he gets me. He is about the only one.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Great thread.

Love the name of the moons, by the way; they mean Phobia & Terror in latin, im correct?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion437

Deimos = Terror
Phobos = Fear

Both in Greek, not Latin. But close!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Further information:

www.racetomars.ca...

Phobos is 21 km across and Deimos just 12 km in diameter. The images show a closer look at Phobos, with features as small as 400 meters across visible, while features 1.2 km across are visible on Deimos.

Wonder if we will see any of those images? The ones they post are kind of crappy.

One more note:

www.topnews.in...

Scientists have indicated that the next time man sets foot on a planetary body, it would most probably be on Phobos and Deimos, the two moons of Mars. This trip might be possible within the next 10 years.

Even more interesting to us conspiracy minded folks:

For now, the only planned missions to the moons are robotic. Russia is gearing up to launch the Phobos-Grunt mission in 2009 that will attempt to land a craft on Phobos, collect the first samples from the moon's surface and return them to Earth.

And, to wrap it all up, we have this scientist saying this:

"We know almost nothing about these moons, other than their density, size and their colour, which is black as asphalt," said Lee.

And then, the other article (listed first above) says this:

Both moons are reddish in colour and are thought to have been captured from the outer asteroid belt during Mars’ early days.

So, which is it...red or black?

top topics

join