It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why does the ATS website load tracking cookies and adware onto my PC?

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, I really enjoy this website. It's a lot of fun, but whenever I visit here I have to run my anti spyware/adware software to remove a load of cookies.

These cookies really slow down my PC.

I just wonder if anyone has noticed this, and if so why is it happening?




posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I haven't noticed any problems myself. I think one of the reasons is so you don't have to log in every time you come to the site. If you just exit the window, it will log you in automatically when you come back(as long as you don't click log out). They probobly also want to be able to ban ip adresses if a member account was banned.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
No, that's not why.

I'm using internet explorer, and whenever I visit the ATS website my pc gets loaded with spyware and adware.

I'll clean it off my PC, then return to the site and have it all loaded onto my PC again.

The are "tracking" cookies that record your browser's activity on the internet.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Personally I like the cookies. Double click and I don't have to type my username in. That's for more than just this site. I can't remember the last time I dumped my cookies.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I use Firefox, and when I leave this, or any site, have made it a habit to clear private data. This keeps my computer from dragging along, and I have the peace of mind of knowing I'm free and clear.

Although here at my son's I'm using Windoze, at home I'm on a Linux system, so I remain bug free all the time.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Personally I like the cookies. Double click and I don't have to type my username in. That's for more than just this site. I can't remember the last time I dumped my cookies.


Oh cool, so you also must enjoy having other people (i.e. web site tech administrators) invade your privacy by recording the activity of your browser on the internet.

Good for you.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
ATS needs ad revenue to help cover the cost of bandwidth, severs, manpower, etc etc etc. A few ads here and there dont really cause any damage to your PC. Aces got it right, whatever cookies your getting are probably just related to logging in and ad specific content.

Ive never seen adware, spyware or malware come from this site.

I could understand the above three slowing down your PC, but cookies? are you using a 486 or something?

Edit to add:
Threads like this come up once a month, sometimes more often. Everytime its discussed, the overall impact of such software is found to be minimal.

I suggest you swtich to firefox, IE is terrible. Especially if your worried about your security.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by InSpiteOf]



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well, just to test I did an online spyware/malware scan with a site I trust, cleaned everything then went and browsed around here on ATS for a while. Then scanned again. 0 infections found.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38
 


No offense electro, but i don't see what the problem is.

Have you got anything on your computer that you feel is sensitive enough to hide?

If so, i advise you don't ever hook that baby up to the net.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I was shocked, and really annoyed to discover this. And I waited a long time to come out and say it, because I have been really enjoying the site and I know I'll probably be banned very soon.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38
 


Your not the first person to suggest this, and you wont be the last, and you certainly wont be banned.

If your taht concerned, why not tell us what type of spyware and adware your getting? Maybe it has nothing to do with ATS and it is a seperate infection?



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38
 


I still don't know what is so shocking about this, Electro.

Most websites on the net have cookies that are downloaded to your pc - infact i can't think of any that don't.

Are you sure you're not just being unnessecarily paranoid about this?

EDIT: lol... unnessecary paranoia... if only i cared about that idea three years ago.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Throbber]



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber
reply to post by Electro38
 


No offense electro, but i don't see what the problem is.

Have you got anything on your computer that you feel is sensitive enough to hide?

If so, i advise you don't ever hook that baby up to the net.


This is funny...

My only problem has been that these cookies, spyware and adware keep slowing down my PC, conciderably.

I guess you're right, that's not really something I should be annoyed about, concidering what this website is supposed to stand for.

You guys really are sounding a little weird.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
reply to post by Electro38
 


Your not the first person to suggest this, and you wont be the last, and you certainly wont be banned.

If your taht concerned, why not tell us what type of spyware and adware your getting? Maybe it has nothing to do with ATS and it is a seperate infection?


I wouldn't care about this at all, having spyware and adware loaded onto my PC really doesn't bother me except when it starts slowing down my computer conciderably.

What is very interesting is everyones reaction, this is exciting!



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
ATS and spyware/cookies

Wikipedia: HTTP cookie

Make of it what you want, but your accusations are based on false assumptions, and they're definitely nothing new or revolutionary.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
I guess you're right, that's not really something I should be annoyed about, concidering what this website is supposed to stand for.

You guys really are sounding a little weird.


Cool, duly noted. Another that just wants to slap ATS. The line never ends.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
I have been really enjoying the site and I know I'll probably be banned very soon.


You don't understand this site if you think you will be banned for voicing a concern. Nobody is tracking you and ATS doesn't install any type of spyware on it's members computers.

If you still don't believe me and all the people posting to this thread then disable receiving all cookies on your computer....because most sites give you one....not just ATS...



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38

You guys really are sounding a little weird.


I think i can safely say that the feeling is mutual, Electro.



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber
reply to post by Electro38
 


I still don't know what is so shocking about this, Electro.

Most websites on the net have cookies that are downloaded to your pc - infact i can't think of any that don't.

Are you sure you're not just being unnessecarily paranoid about this?

EDIT: lol... unnessecary paranoia... if only i cared about that idea three years ago.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Throbber]


Shocking, a little concidering this website is supposed to be about our freedoms, and being "aware".

I thought if there was a website that wouldn't track my internet activity, this would be the one.

So I was shocked to discover this website was loading this crap onto my PC. I said, well it's a fun site who care, I'll clear it all off at the end of eack month. But it slows the hell out of my PC with every visit!



posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
cookies won't slow down your computer, especially not just a single cookie.




top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join